Carolina Crown 2016

They have said the show is a spaghetti western show, They used a photo of Clint Eastwood in their PR. I've seen those movies. He rides into town, kills a bunch of people, and rides out. Don't choose a spaghetti western theme if you're concerned about gun violence.

I couldn't care less about the political aspect of Crown's new ending - I don't look to marching band shows for insightful political commentary.

I do care about how it works as a performance, and I think you're right about the disconnect. The show's called Relentless and is visually and musically an homage to westerns like TGBU. The musical centerpiece is Medea's Dance of Vengeance, from a ballet where a mother murders her children to take revenge on her unfaithful husband. They specifically chose to play Il Triello from TGBU's climactic gunfight.

But in fact, the hero relents. There is no vengeance taken. There is no gunfight. So there's a big disconnect between where the music and theme wants to take us and where the story actually goes.

It sort of looks like the design team was of two minds, and needed to sort this out in the winter. If they weren't willing to portray a gunfight - the iconic climax of darn close to every Western ever written or filmed - they probably should have picked a different theme and music. But in retrospect, Channel3 called it after the season premiere cinecast - Keith Potter was visibly uncomfortable discussing the violence in the show on camera, so it's not surprising where they ultimately wound up with it.

So Crown ends with no killing. Should spartacus have ended with the guy just being arrested?

:doh:

• Like 1

I couldn't care less about the political aspect of Crown's new ending - I don't look to marching band shows for insightful political commentary.

I do care about how it works as a performance, and I think you're right about the disconnect. The show's called Relentless and is visually and musically an homage to westerns like TGBU. The musical centerpiece is Medea's Dance of Vengeance, from a ballet where a mother murders her children to take revenge on her unfaithful husband. They specifically chose to play Il Triello from TGBU's climactic gunfight.

But in fact, the hero relents. There is no vengeance taken. There is no gunfight. So there's a big disconnect between where the music and theme wants to take us and where the story actually goes.

It sort of looks like the design team was of two minds, and needed to sort this out in the winter. If they weren't willing to portray a gunfight - the iconic climax of darn close to every Western ever written or filmed - they probably should have picked a different theme and music. But in retrospect, Channel3 called it after the season premiere cinecast - Keith Potter was visibly uncomfortable discussing the violence in the show on camera, so it's not surprising where they ultimately wound up with it.

The new ending makes the show relevant, completely original and bleeding edge. Now it's complete. Regarding the revenge-centered story of Medea, apparently there are many endings-- Herodotus reported a version in which Medea and her son Medus fled from Athens on her flying chariot, to the Iranian plateau and lived among the Aryans, who then changed their name to the Medes.

Edited by Channel3
  • Like 2

The new ending makes the show relevant, completely original and bleeding edge. Now it's complete.

Makes the show relevant? I thought the show was relevant when I watched it....... Wayyyyyyyy back when they actually killed the robber. Justice served.... Western style.

• Like 1