Carolina Crown 2016

Hmmm ... I don't recall BD getting all this pushback because they didn't put all aspects of Fellini on the field.

Who's brilliant idea was that to sell out to be PC? Oh well I know who won't be winning. Smells like a possible 4th place now.

I love the fact that I was able to witness both possible endings this year. It was discussed within the corps as a possibility all year. Why do you have to be so cynical to call it a sellout? Jeez

Edited by Relics
  • Like 1

I am appalled at how gun-hungry the US is. It's maddening. That said, I don't believe for a second that depicting gun violence in a marching band show leads to, supports, or condones gun violence in society. Carolina Crown is depicting a storyline that, historically, has involved violence. I had no problem with the ending...

...and I have no problem with them changing it. It's a fresh take on the ages old story, and I think it's smart.

Conservative folks on here view the change as bowing to PC pressures. Perhaps that's true, but I doubt it, as I never saw much of an outcry on here or elsewhere about depicting gun violence. I view it as a re-envisioning different norms in a historical context to create an altered storyline. And I suspect it was planned all along, and if so, I think that's absolutely BRILLIANT. "Go ahead, change some drill in your ending, we changed the entire moral of our story!"

It was a great show before. And it's a great show now. I assume they still perform well. The costuming is still great. They move well in an effective design. I don't want them to move up or move down because of the changed ending - I want them to move up because they're great, or move down because others are better.

• Like 3

Who's brilliant idea was that to sell out to be PC? Oh well I know who won't be winning. Smells like a possible 4th place now.

Capturing the perp and not shooting him isn't necessarily PC. You don't know what the son does to him later on.

Remember the judges are PC-- that is... if PC is defined as:

• well read-- aware of cliches in fiction,
  • literary-minded,
  • fully aware of relevant social issues,
  • aware that a strong depth of concept includes a theme with immediate social relevance,
  • aware of how to add complexity to an over-simple story,
  • aware of how to add depth to the son character,
  • aware of how the original story was completely without depth, surprise or reveal of any kind.

So, yes. Remember the DCI judges are PC. If you want something that is not "PC" why not rent the movie "Gingerdead Man" starring Gary Busey, the very dumbest horror movie of all time-- nonsensical, vapid, violent for no reason, shallow, meritless, shameless bloody second amendment fun. :satisfied:

• Like 2

Capturing the perp and not shooting him isn't necessarily PC. You don't know what the son does to him later on.

Remember the judges are PC-- that is... if PC is defined as:

• well read-- aware of cliches in fiction,
  • literary-minded,
  • fully aware of relevant social issues,
  • aware that a strong depth of concept includes a theme with immediate social relevance,
  • aware of how to add complexity to an over-simple story,
  • aware of how to add depth to the son character,
  • aware of how the original story was completely without depth, surprise or reveal of any kind.

So, yes. Remember the DCI judges are PC. If you want something that is not "PC" why not rent the movie "Gingerdead Man" starring Gary Busey, the very dumbest horror movie of all time-- nonsensical, vapid, violent for no reason, shallow, meritless, shameless bloody second amendment fun. :satisfied:

It's drum and bugle corps not broadway theatre, even though some may be delusional enough to believe it is. The judging system is hopelessly flawed and corrupt. Soooooooooooo Keep It Simple Stupid!