Carolina Crown 2016

I am too. Apparently they got overall, 5th in percussion. I don't even know what to say. Honestly, this line is the best it's been since 2009. The scores have been fluctuating all season. That's why I don't really like judge scores because they are so fluctuating. I think they all did wonderful. I think their placement was well deserved, and every area improved a lot from last year. Wonderful job this year, Crown!

robbed, oh well

bloo had the most seamless design, plenty of demand, and they performed the crap out of their show, so i'm not sure that's fair.

it's the most boring brass book from a dci winner for me, personally. but i can't say that bloo didn't deserve that win.

• Like 1

bloo had the most seamless design, plenty of demand, and they performed the crap out of their show, so i'm not sure that's fair.

it's the most boring brass book from a dci winner for me, personally. but i can't say that bloo didn't deserve that win.

Yes, I agree as well that Crown had a fantastic run tonight and deserved every award they received.

(don't demean an amazing season for Crown just because you are a sour grape)

I am too. Apparently they got overall, 5th in percussion. I don't even know what to say. Honestly, this line is the best it's been since 2009. The scores have been fluctuating all season. That's why I don't really like judge scores because they are so fluctuating. I think they all did wonderful. I think their placement was well deserved, and every area improved a lot from last year. Wonderful job this year, Crown!

Judges just aren't buying what Thom Hannum is writing.

It's musical as crap, makes use of space and is amazingly coordinated in ways other books aren't, but they apparently want something different. They need someone willing to RAM THE NOTES whether or not it makes musical sense or not. In what other caption does the judge dictate content like that? (answer:none)

And they need to change. Because it's dragging down one of their biggest strengths (Brass and MA).

Maybe have Aungst write the battery book? I dunno.

The thing that bothers me about this is this:

If a guard is 5 or 6 places behind the corps, other visual captions can't help but notice and it will push their captions down too.

If a brass line is having trouble, that trouble will spread to all the other music captions.

If a musical effect doesn't work, the visual effect guys will notice and vice versa.

But apparently in percussion, a line can suck but apparently NO ONE ON THE REST OF THE PANEL is capable of noticing. I guess all those other musicians on the panel are deaf and can't hear the terrible weakness. Or they just know NOTHING at all about percussion. :doh:

Because of this drummers frequently can end up calling the whole show (no I'm not talking about tonight). They're perfectly fine with calling large spreads in a caption that is -- in the grand scheme -- just a "specialty" award. Even the percussionists admit that most of the battery book can only be "read" if you're right on top of them (or falling over them). Otherwise you just can't tell. So the audience and the rest of the judging panel are over-ruled by things no one can see or hear.

</rant over> and it is a rant. i'm not gonna argue. too bad for you.

Edited by corpsband