Carolina Crown 2016

thank goodness

if a bunch of ostinatos with a ballad in the middle won, i'd have been a little worried

could you imagine klesch, meehan, or bocook doing that? i just can't

no. i can't. they generate effect entirely differently.

percussion ensemble with brass in a supporting role.

Edited by corpsband

Judges just aren't buying what Thom Hannum is writing.

It's musical as crap, and amazingly coordinated in ways other books aren't, but they apparently want something different. They need someone willing to RAM THE NOTES whether not it makes musical sense or not. In what other caption does the judge dictate content like that? (answer:none)

And they need to change. Because it's dragging down one of their biggest strengths (Brass and MA).

Maybe have Aungst write the battery book? I dunno.

The thing that bothers me about this is this:

If a guard is 5 or 6 places behind the corps, other visual captions can't help but notice and it will push their captions down too.

If a brass line is having trouble, that trouble will spread to all the other music captions.

If a musical effect doesn't work, the visual effect guys will notice and vice versa.

But apparently in percussion, a line can suck but apparently NO ONE ON THE REST OF THE PANEL is capable of noticing. I guess all those other musicians on the panel are deaf and can't hear the terrible weakness. Or they just no NOTHING at all about percussion. :doh:

Because of this drummers end up calling the whole show. Because they're perfectly fine with calling large spreads in a caption that is -- in the grand scheme -- just a "specialty" award. Even the percussionists admit that most of the battery book can only be "read" if you're right on top of them (or falling over them). Otherwise you just can't tell. So the audience and the rest of the judging panel are over-ruled by things no one can see or hear.

</rant over> and it is rant. i'm not gonna argue. too bad for you.

The percussion fits in really nicely with the rest of the show. It is not only used as secondary transition, but as a true integral part of the performance. THAT is what, I feel, separates Crown from the others. They will, and always have been a great line to me, and it's because of their cohesion with the field performance. No judge can put that to numbers.

• Like 1

Judges just aren't buying what Thom Hannum is writing.

It's musical as crap, makes use of space and is amazingly coordinated in ways other books aren't, but they apparently want something different. They need someone willing to RAM THE NOTES whether or not it makes musical sense or not. In what other caption does the judge dictate content like that? (answer:none)

And they need to change. Because it's dragging down one of their biggest strengths (Brass and MA).

Maybe have Aungst write the battery book? I dunno.

The thing that bothers me about this is this:

If a guard is 5 or 6 places behind the corps, other visual captions can't help but notice and it will push their captions down too.

If a brass line is having trouble, that trouble will spread to all the other music captions.

If a musical effect doesn't work, the visual effect guys will notice and vice versa.

But apparently in percussion, a line can suck but apparently NO ONE ON THE REST OF THE PANEL is capable of noticing. I guess all those other musicians on the panel are deaf and can't hear the terrible weakness. Or they just know NOTHING at all about percussion. :doh:

Because of this drummers end up calling the whole show. Because they're perfectly fine with calling large spreads in a caption that is -- in the grand scheme -- just a "specialty" award. Even the percussionists admit that most of the battery book can only be "read" if you're right on top of them (or falling over them). Otherwise you just can't tell. So the audience and the rest of the judging panel are over-ruled by things no one can see or hear.

</rant over> and it is a rant. i'm not gonna argue. too bad for you.

Just gonna say that SCV has the most musical percussion writing year after year. The judges reward that so I'm not buying your whole premise here.

I find that Crown uses their percussion as an afterthought and simply for transitioning while other corps feature it more.

Edited by Cappybara

Just gonna say that SCV has the most musical percussion writing year after year. The judges reward that so I'm not buying your whole premise here.

I find that Crown uses their percussion as an afterthought and simply for transitioning while other corps feature it more.

They don't use percussion as an afterthought. You are completely wrong there. The book Hannum wrote this year was artfully crafted between the front ensemble and battery, was incredibly musical and enhanced the score such that Crown won MA every night this week. SCV plays a show that is essentially a percussion ensemble program with brass accompaniment.

Very happy Alum here and extremely proud of Crownguard!!!

• Like 2

They don't use percussion as an afterthought. You are completely wrong there. The book Hannum wrote this year was artfully crafted between the front ensemble and battery, was incredibly musical and enhanced the score such that Crown won MA every night this week. SCV plays a show that is essentially a percussion ensemble program with brass accompaniment.

Agree to disagree.

Just to add, I do think it's kind of insulting to the percussion section of each corps to imply that it's somehow a bad thing when the percussion is featured just as much as the brass.

Enough with that, let's gush over the first new Zingali winners in 8 years! That guard was on fire every night I saw them. One of my favorite sections ever.

• Like 2

Agree to disagree.

Just to add, I do think it's kind of insulting to the percussion section of each corps to imply that it's somehow a bad thing when the percussion is featured just as much as the brass.

SCV is great. Sandi and Paul do incredible work. He was great at Phantom and he was great back when he wrote for and taught Carolina Crown. I am not taking anything away from SCV in their program so no insult coming from me. I am simply trying to help you understand that what Hannum writes in not an afterthought as you so eloquently put it. He and Klesch have worked together for years and write music hand in hand.

Edited by auldschool