Carolina Crown 2016

well after watching the forbidden website videos.. LOL that one brass run is quite impressive... can't wait to hear that live!

As disappointed as I am to see this. HOLY ####!

Ehm.. that said, go Crown.

• Like 1

I have no ability to judge what I'm hearing from the battery, so I can't really say anything about that. The pit seemed to be mic'd differently than I've heard before. Or maybe it was just louder/clearer due to the new soundboard.

From a battery perspective, they are on they're their way to being better than last year but still have a lot of work to do especially the quad players. I sat through a couple hours of battery rehearsals and they are still trying to figure how to play together (especially faster rolls, paradiddles). There are also some drill sets that make it more difficult on the playing like bigger crab steps while playing hand to hand flams and finishing that set on a hold that starts with a cheese (not very easy on either account). The book is pretty interesting and look forward to hearing some clean beats later this summer.

Regarding the front ensemble, it was interesting to not see a Timpani player and to hear electronic patches for actual instruments like a brake drum or a vibraslap, etc.

Edited by snare_guy_83

From a battery perspective, they are on they're their way to being better than last year but still have a lot of work to do especially the quad players. I sat through a couple hours of battery rehearsals and they are still trying to figure how to play together (especially faster rolls, paradiddles). There are also some drill sets that make it more difficult on the playing like bigger crab steps while playing hand to hand flams and finishing that set on a hold that starts with a cheese (not very easy on either account). The book is pretty interesting and look forward to hearing some clean beats later this summer.

Regarding the front ensemble, it was interesting to not see a Timpani player and to hear electronic patches for actual instruments like a brake drum or a vibraslap, etc.

Bluecoats have been without a timpanist and they made it work, that said....it will be interesting to see Crown do the same. BD has done the same on and off. It's possible that the timpani may no longer be a staple as it once was with front ensembles in DCI.

Oh that video of Crown, me likey.

JoshClements I'm right there with you. What are these links you speak of!!!

The video is private now.

Alas I got to see it before it was made so. And from someone who was not necessarily on the Crown fan bus last year with both feet..................I really really really liked what I saw. Drill especially seems GOOD. Won't give anything away, but I think this is going to be a really good one.

• Like 4

Alas I got to see it before it was made so. And from someone who was not necessarily on the Crown fan bus last year with both feet..................I really really really liked what I saw. Drill especially seems GOOD. Won't give anything away, but I think this is going to be a really good one.

YES! Yes to this 100%.

To anyone who saw the Ecstasy of Gold video Crown put up a month or so ago on Facebook, and you remember how they cut off before the hit in Medea?

.. Not disappointed. At all.

I'm really excited to see them this year. Especially after seeing Cadets rehearse today. It sounds like we will have a great season this summer!

YES! Yes to this 100%.

To anyone who saw the Ecstasy of Gold video Crown put up a month or so ago on Facebook, and you remember how they cut off before the hit in Medea?

.. Not disappointed. At all.

I saw the youtube video, but skipped the hit. Wanna save it for the tour kickoff haha. It hurt me to skip it though... I wanna hear those chords so badly...