Hardest show ever - Cadets 2015?

Rerite of Spring was a very difficult show.

Difficult to watch perhaps.

2009 Cadets - ridiculously impossible closer ... unattainable by anybody with arms and legs on a planet with gravity.....BTW, there's the show I want see....Gravity!

That and 2007 closer. In 2009 I watched them cut out entire horn sections from part of the closer, trying to clean that up musically so they can figure out how to march it.

Yes, one of the most demanding shows ever. And one of the best performed too.

Too bad that the show concept didn't allow the kind of aesthetic unity and meaning and emotion needed for the GE that this amazingly talented group of MMs deserved.

"Me and the design team" will be back next year with a great show design?

Because Cadets' show design is all about ME, is exactly the reason this group of kids didn't win gold.

The Cadets have been passed by Crown and Bluecoats in the last five years. They got crushed by Bluecoats actually. Demand or no demand, the Coats had much better show design, more innovation, more creativity, and just, well, better.

I have no faith in the Cadets design team anymore. They're too egotistical, Hop is too much in control, too egotistical, and if I were 19 or 20 again, I'd not march Cadets until they make some fundamental changes in how they do show design.

I'd march Crown or Coats.

Sad to say, but there it is.

The Cadets have way too much tradition, way too much talent and potential, to cede the field to organizations that are now what the Cadets once were: "the thinking man's drum corps".

You post this often and in lots of places :) That is all.

These young men and women that marched Cadets 2015 show, took on a mountain of a show in both drill and music that demanded so much physical exertion and timing, that many thought some parts were just impossible. They climbed that mountain and proved to themselves how much they are capable of, they were true to themselves and brought their show to the World Finals and performed it magnificently. They have no regrets, they know in their hearts, that they were their Very Best. And the fact that some people are questioning if this is the toughest show ever march in DCI, is insignificant . It's what's in their heart that matters.

• Like 2

I would put 2015 Cadets in that difficulty pantheon, along with Cadets 97, BD '13, Crown '12, and Star '90 & '91.

I would put 2015 Cadets in that difficulty pantheon, along with Cadets 97, BD '13, Crown '12, and Star '90 & '91.

Don't forget the Cavaliers in 2001 and 2007 if you think fast is hard. As well as 2003 for just being visually stupidly-difficult.

• Like 1

Just a few that come to mind...

Cadets 1993 and 1997

Cavaliers 2001, 2003, 2004

Crown 2012

And by 50+ people who can help with design input and feedback, I mean volunteers. People who love the Cadets and have loved them for decades, and who want them to succeed. No one needs to be applying for a job.

How could more voices in the ideation and decision process not help? How could open RFPs and idea evaluation and test marketing not help?

Answer: it obviously would because that exact method of innovation has helped many thousands of organizations across the country over the last couple decades.

And it would help the Cadets too. Period.

Now they DID do this some years back. I can't remember which one...late '00s I think. There was a big fuss about encouraging Everyman to "be part of the process." The public responded with rabid enthusiasm by sending in tons of ideas, some of which I'm sure were strong and well thought-out. How much of that made it into the show? Pretty much zero. lol

When individuals are convinced what they are doing is the correct direction, and their main obstacle is lack of reward for, or understanding of, said direction, no amount of techniques successfully applied elsewhere is going to work.

• Like 1

Difficult to watch perhaps.

Exactly. I'm sorry, but:

Scatter sets

Slow moving drill

Not playing anything difficult while moving

Not moving fast even while not playing

AND

Not much unison guard work

DO NOT EQUATE TO DIFFICULT - you could say that for this year too.

Edited by henry_l