Hardest show ever - Cadets 2015?

Some kind of record? BD had 100 poles on the field in 2013 and that wasn't even the extent of all their props lol

Thought someone would bring that up, Cappy. Let me amend just a bit. Might be a record in sheer coverage of space. All the sideline banners really didn't add that much for me...I guess you could make the case that they framed the field, but the ROI was minimal IMHO.

I'll take tone quality and dynamics over volume any day.

...never said Jim Ott ever.

• Like 3

An important addition to the design team is what Cadets need. They are stellar in musical construction, performance levels and talent are amazing BUT they are lacking in the overall design construction and visual department mostly due to a weak guard (relatively speaking). Fix the guard (overall visual would have been higher and GE would have been positively affected).

No big problems at Cadets. It was a fiercely competitive season and guard is a huge factor in scoring now. Fix that and maintain the brass and percussion. Add a strong creative mind to the mix, they would be almost unstoppable.

Agree. Oddly, I thought the guard itself wasn't as much of a problem, as the way they were staged. First half of the show, they were placed in very vanilla (front, sides, back) locations relative to the musical ensemble. It seems they were sacrificed in terms of integration to make the thematic "X" drill work possible. The latter parts of the show (which I recall were changed midseason) had them fully integrated and engaged with the musicians, which worked much more successfully. My thoughts by Atlanta were that they'd have a tough time staying in the medals unless they did some rewrites of the opener, which of course never happened. Seemed to be a young group this year with the guard...they have some of the best in the business working with them, so I'm sure they'll bounce back strong next season.

Interesting. Thankfully, Mr. Ott's award takes into account tone quality, dynamics, and technical execution over volume, as evidenced by the Cadets winning it this year.

• Like 1

I do not know nor have I ever met Jim Ott, but if he specialized in brass, are you implying that he would not even consider great tone quality and dynamics as a part of great and balanced horn playing? That sounds kind of ridiculous.

Interesting. Thankfully, Mr. Ott's award takes into account tone quality, dynamics, and technical execution over volume, as evidenced by the Cadets winning it this year.

:silly: See below...

I do not know nor have I ever met Jim Ott, but if he specialized in brass, are you implying that he would not even consider great tone quality and dynamics as a part of great and balanced horn playing? That sounds kind of ridiculous.

No, I'm making a semi-joke, but nobody seems to have a sense of humor on these forums. Anyone who ever played under Jim would "get" the joke. Of course, like most that jump on joke-ish comments like this, you take it to the nth degree on the response..."I'll take tone quality and dynamics *over* volume any day" was the referenced comment. Let's not stretch that to "never even consider". So let's ditch the self-righteous act and just realize a couple of things: I played under Jim Ott for 2 1/2 years. He was our middle horn instructor and arranger. He was a tremendous human being, a great brass man and liked LOUD. More than anyone I've ever seen. That's the "joke". Not sure why you even jumped in on this, as you admittedly didn't know the man. Just for reference, the old piston/rotor bugles didn't have much in the way of tone quality, but yeah, he did work dynamics. All that said, the most common word out of his mouth was "louder". He is missed.

• Like 1

No, I'm making a semi-joke, but nobody seems to have a sense of humor on these forums. Anyone who ever played under Jim would "get" the joke. Of course, like most that jump on joke-ish comments like this, you take it to the nth degree on the response..."I'll take tone quality and dynamics *over* volume any day" was the referenced comment. Let's not stretch that to "never even consider". So let's ditch the self-righteous act and just realize a couple of things: I played under Jim Ott for 2 1/2 years. He was our middle horn instructor and arranger. He was a tremendous human being, a great brass man and liked LOUD. More than anyone I've ever seen. That's the "joke". Not sure why you even jumped in on this, as you admittedly didn't know the man. Just for reference, the old piston/rotor bugles didn't have much in the way of tone quality, but yeah, he did work dynamics. All that said, the most common word out of his mouth was "louder". He is missed.

Which is why I stated I didn't know the man. Next time you try to make a joke, it would help to insert an emoticon to indicate it was a joke. Relax. I asked a question because CLEARLY, I did not understand your comment. No need to sit here trying to insult me. If you can't answer the question without getting offensive, bypass my question.

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 2

Which is why I stated I didn't know the man. Next time you try to make a joke, it would help to insert an emoticon to indicate it was a joke. Relax. I asked a question because CLEARLY, I did not understand your comment. No need to sit here trying to insult me. If you can't answer the question without getting offensive, bypass my question.

No, neither offended, nor trying to "insult" you. Simply responding to your inquiry, which included a condescending air to it ("are you implying..", "sounds kind of ridiculous", etc.). If you didn't understand the comment, a simple "could you explain your comment regarding Mr. Ott?" might have sufficed. Geez. I see this game played all the time here.

Edited by BDCorno

No, neither offended, nor trying to "insult" you. Simply responding to your inquiry, which included a condescending air to it ("are you implying..", "sounds kind of ridiculous", etc.). If you didn't understand the comment, a simple "could you explain your comment regarding Mr. Ott?" might have sufficed. Geez. I see this game played all the time here.

Just forget I asked dude.

• Like 2