DCI Suggestion Box

Apparently a lot of people care. You're not suggesting they eliminate scoring, are you?

nah scoring is fine!

but... one person cannot judge all the captions in a show, which is what people are doing when they say "show X should've won instead of show Y", and someone in the stands watching cannot be on the field up close, seeing what is seen from that vantage point.

if your favorite show is 1st or 2nd or 6th... it can still be your favorite! And it is exactly the same show!

Here are my ideas...

1. Fire Neulion. Evidently they haven't got a clue. Video presentation platform is trash. Doesn't work on iPod/iPhone/iPad or Android anything... and its 2015? I still can't believe that the 2015 DCI Awards Ceremony on YouTube doesn't work, sure it has 60+ thousand hits but I'd wager 90+% of them were unsuccessful.

2. Gotta get the archives back online. And must make it possible to see last night's show, not just while its going on. Maybe DCI could apply for a grant from some musical history association for the arts or even the feds to fund the corps efforts to secure extended copyrighted material usage rights.

3. Something should be done with the scoring system to get the fans that have paid to be present at a show involved. It would be great to see a corps score well because they were a huge crown pleaser even though their execution might not have been as perfect as another corp's. Maybe something could be done to allow the fans to text an address with the corps number of their choice as the corps they most enjoyed... only announce the address in the stadium and only allow texts to be counted if they come in within a 5 minute period. The technology exists, its 2015 and lots of fans have texting capability. Do a field test making it a component of the score, maybe call it "General Effect-Human".

Thanks for listening.

1. I was a bit skeptical of the Neulion interface at first, but once they got the bugs out, it was pretty good. Not sure why you might have had issues, but I found the iPhone and iPad interfaces (used them both) to be quite good. It was nice to grab a bite and watch a show at the same time. Can't speak for the YouTube awards thing, as I was at Lucas Oil.

2. Agree with you...I'd love to see the whole archive back at some point. Sadly, like much else in the litigious world, the lawyers are getting rich, the musicians aren't making much more, and the consumer is getting screwed. It's a really messed up situation. Hoping DCI can come up with a solution, but they're still working on the paper bag level and struggling...

3. Could we all please can the "Mom-O-Meter" talk? They tried this "fan favorite" crap a year or so at TOC events, and once certain corps/fans figured out how to game the situation, it quickly became a joke. No way to really restrict voting to those in the stadium anyway. Whether it's on (which it is) or not on the sheets, judges hear the crowd and it is duly noted (trust me on this, I judged drum corps and winter guard for years). It's not means to an end, but can help validate observations that the judge makes. Jumping up and down and throwing babies isn't (and shouldn't) EVER be a barometer. With the wide variety of show approaches, an ending might not be rah-rah, and evoke a pensive, yet deep feeling from a spectator. You're not going to get a raucous ovation necessarily, so why should one style be preferred over another? Furthermore, should a show in the back yard of one corps at the show be justification for special consideration and an unearned win? Ehh, don't think so. If you want mob rule, send your corps to American Idol and let the pros sort this out.

• Like 2

I think this Fan Award is a fantastic idea. It would lessen a lot of the bickering and resentment (between corps, between fans and corps, and between fans and judges), plus make it more enjoyable for the fans knowing they have a voice and buy-in.

A low cost option: Text 2345 to 800-XXX-XXX to vote for Blue Devils. Text 4567 to vote for SCV, and on and on. It would be pretty easy to collect counts for those texts.

Been tried, didn't work.

Of course, And I don't suggest they be completely stoic, either. But I have first-hand knowledge of a top-6 corps whose center snare was bobbing his head so much that the judge's comment was both a comment on the distraction and a concern that his hat may fly off.

Said head-bobbing stopped by the next show.

To watch him in the lot there was no doubt that he was "grooving" but, on the field, it was a complete distraction. Why is it acceptable in the pit if not on the field?

Swami. Heh.

Yeah, it gets a bit much. What I don't like is all the mugging...

I have been saying for years that DCI needs to embrace & integrate technology into its shows and judging...but they are afraid to do it because the fans favorite will always be different that the show winner.

Fans should be able to vote via an app on their cell phone for their favorite show.

I have been saying for years that DCI needs to embrace & integrate technology into its shows and judging...but they are afraid to do it because the fans favorite will always be different that the show winner.

Fans should be able to vote via an app on their cell phone for their favorite show.

I don't have a problem with that. Just don't integrate it into the scoring system. '81 Scouts? Dude you're old. Oh, wait... :D

Edited by BDCorno

like the Philadelphia Eagles fans who once pelted Santa Claus with beer bottles and iceballs at a game.

Being from Philly I can't tell you how tired and cliched that whole "they booed Santa Claus" is. The only reason it still has legs is because of the lazy national so-called media who like to have canned BS to spew rather than do any real journalism.

First - it happened about 50 years ago. Second it was a historically bad team at the end of a dreadfully bad season who were lured out by management to a game with the promise of a "Christmas Spectacular" at halftime. Despite a massive snow storm lots of people went to the game for the halftime show (not to see one of the worst teams in the history of the NFL). The show that was put on was as bad as the team - if not worse. And the Santa was some skinny kid (who by some accounts was falling over drunk, but those accounts may or may not be accurate) in a dirty, dingy Santa suit who was in the stands - not meant to be part of the show. When the Santa the team had hired was a no-show they grabbed that kid and threw him in.

Now you tell me: In what city would the fans NOT boo and throw snowballs when they show up in a snow storm to see a "spectacular" at half time only to be presented with a show worse than the local kindergarten pageant?

BTW - that infamous Santa died earlier this year. In many interviews over the years he was very open about how bad the show was, how bad his Santa was and that if he had been in the crowd he would have booed himself too.

Oh - and there were no beer bottles or ice balls thrown. It was boos and some snowballs.

Edited by cf144
  • Like 1

Being from Philly I can't tell you how tired and cliched that whole "they booed Santa Claus" is. The only reason it still has legs is because of the lazy national so-called media who like to have canned BS to spew rather than do any real journalism.

First - it happened about 50 years ago. Second it was a historically bad team at the end of a dreadfully bad season who were lured out by management to a game with the promise of a "Christmas Spectacular" at halftime. Despite a massive snow storm lots of people went to the game for the halftime show (not to see one of the worst teams in the history of the NFL). The show that was put on was as bad as the team - if not worse. And the Santa was some skinny kid (who by some accounts was falling over drunk, but those accounts may or may not be accurate) in a dirty, dingy Santa suit who was in the stands - not meant to be part of the show. When the Santa the team had hired was a no-show they grabbed that kid and threw him in.

Now you tell me: In what city would the fans NOT boo and throw snowballs when they show up in a snow storm to see a "spectacular" at half time only to be presented with a show worse than the local kindergarten pageant?

BTW - that infamous Santa died earlier this year. In many interviews over the years he was very open about how bad the show was, how bad his Santa was and that if he had been in the crowd he would have booed himself too.

Oh - and there were no beer bottles or ice balls thrown. It was boos and some snowballs.

Philly fans still suck though :)

The following thought doesn't cover scoring or anything to do with BD, so I apologize.

DCI might have something in place, but didn't notice it on my first finals at Indy with the amount of time I was in the corps parking lot. I found it amusing the amount of stuff the mm left behind in the lot and at the airport to cut down their weight. Stuff that was still in good condition and could make some money for various thrift store operations. There's space in the lot where various organizations, on a rotating basis, could set up a means to collect the mm items.

Note: For all those mm/staff/volunteers who will spend finals night at the airport (this past Saturday night will probably be my first and last one) in future years and all those who have done so in recent years, let me make a suggestion that I had figured out prior to arriving. You read it here first. Stay in the family bathroom. The door locks and the lights have a switch. Add a pair of earplugs and you're good to go. At 2AM there is no buddy wanting to change a diaper and that table makes a great place for your large bag.

In fact, a specific charity for the homeless in Indianapolis set up bins this year to collect unwanted/unneeded items from departing DCI MMs and fans. Sleeping bags, air mattress pumps, and other items that would not pass the TSA inspectors seemed to be the most popular donations.

Ghost,

So you are the culprit who prevented the rest of us from being able to use the bathrooms. Indianapolis airport uses that 2 am time to simultaneously clean the rest rooms (both men and women, one team cleaning the floors in one place while the other team cleans the commodes in the others.) Thus for this old man [who was bumped from his flight when US Scare (often called Agony Airlines) sent a plane with 80 seats for 100 ticket holders] was advised to use the Family Room; security couldn't figure why it was locked, nor did they have the key!! True story.

Just wait until you start experiencing BHP, you young guy!

• Like 1