An Open Letter to the Vets Marching Next Year

Ultimately your decision is yours alone and only you know what is best for you, but...

please stay.

Before you chose to march, I am sure many of you had a dream corps to be in. Maybe some of you auditioned and made it and maybe some of you were told to get some experience elsewhere and then come back next year. So you did. You went out and got contracted by a lower placing corps to gain that experience so maybe one day you could march your dream corps.

The thing is; your dream corps is not your family. You just dedicated your entire life for three months to perfect a product. Your blood, tears and sweat went into the corps that you marched with. 149 other members did the exact same thing. That is family. That is dedication. That is what you did this summer. Not with your dream corps, but with your home corps, your family.

Now you are faced with the decision of staying with your family, or going to your dream corps. Hopefully at least you aren't what are called a ring chaser. Hopefully this activity and your experience means more to you then a ring.

If you want to win, good. If you want a medal Good. If you want a ring GOOD! Then stay. Because being a part of that with your family, taking them from bottom to top will feel exponentially better than simply going to a corps that is always in contention.

These lower corps cannot progress when members keep leaving for top 6 corps. Your family cannot get there if you keep leaving them.

Carolina Crown did not get to where they are now because members kept leaving for the Cadets or the Blue Devils. They stayed. They worked their butts off for each other and slowly they became a power house. Maybe they missed out on a ring or a medal by not leaving, but they still share in that success. They were selfless.

So what is your experience worth to you? Would you rather win because you are expected to, or win when you weren't, with your family?

I end with what I began with: Ultimately your decision is yours alone and only you know what is best for you, but it isn't just about you anymore.

• Like 8

Dear vets:

Please, for the love of all that's holy, do what YOU want to do. Do what's best for YOU. Maybe you want to stay with your current corps. Maybe you don't. Maybe you think you'll fit in better somewhere else. Don't let anyone talk you into staying (or going) if it's not a decision that you are comfortable with.

Maybe you have a dream. If you do, chase it...or you'll never forgive yourself.

It's not about the ring. It's about accomplishing your goals, and setting a tone for the rest of your life. Your DCI time is finite. Make the most of it.

Signed,

Someone who stayed when he shouldn't have, and then left while he still could

Let us also note the people who left and equally regretted leaving though.

But yes, as I said twice, the decision is theirs.

The grass is not always greener.

• Like 2

Let us also note the people who left and equally regretted leaving though.

But yes, as I said twice, the decision is theirs.

The grass is not always greener.

Crown puns aplenty

Dear Lord :

Please forgive those who post on here their open letters to anonymous people they do not know, and who know not them. They mean no harm in their open letters to anonymous people. Yes, we realize they used this site to avoid postage stamps too. But they are simply expressing their frustration that the same corps win all the time, and I'm sure even you Lord find vexxing that nasty Blue Devil from time to time. So heres hoping you will understand where this frustration is coming from, and if you should find it in your power to have a penalty at Finals next year at Indy instead of the Quarters for that nasty Blue Devil, we would be eternally grateful. Thank you Lord.

• Like 5

Dear Lord :

Please forgive those who post on here their open letters to anonymous people they do not know, and who know not them. They mean no harm in their open letters to anonymous people. Yes, we realize they used this site to avoid postage stamps too. But they are simply expressing their frustration that the same corps win all the time, and I'm sure even you Lord find vexxing that nasty Blue Devil from time to time. So heres hoping you will understand where this frustration is coming from, and if you should find it in your power to have a penalty at Finals next year at Indy instead of the Quarters for that nasty Blue Devil, we would be eternally grateful. Thank you Lord.

I like BD!

Dear Lord :

Amen.

• Like 1

Dear Lord :

I like the baby jesus. Now go out and slaughter them. "amen"

I like BD!

I know.. and I was only foolin' around.

Look, on a more serious note, I do know where you are coming from, and my sentiments are actually with you on this. I too wish more vets would stay put and help build something special where they are. But I also recognize the activity does not want sensible transfer policies put in place that every other amateur sport in the world has. And it is a free country as well, and so I get all that, plus the allure of marching with the top tier Corps too. In the end, people do what they want to do, and thats fine of course... but again, I understand very well where you are coming from on this, what your wish is, and I'd be remiss if I did not share that with you.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1