An Open Letter to the Vets Marching Next Year

I don't buy that idea, at least not completely. For many people, fulfillment comes not through the question "what's best for me?" but a different question: "What's best for others?" Or "How can I serve?" Or "Where am I needed?" For those people, a sense of self worth arises not from personal aggrandizement but from their role in improving the welfare of others. Think of some of the best teachers you've learned from. Or of doctors who rush into the middle of deadly epidemics. Or of a family that gives away half of its income each year to the needy. People who make sacrifices -- of their career, of their achievements, of their wealth and even health -- and do it cheerfully because they believe that concern for others is the greatest source of personal fulfillment.

This is John's statement that triggered the above...."Please, for the love of all that's holy, do what YOU want to do. Do what's best for YOU... Maybe you have a dream. If you do, chase it...or you'll never forgive yourself."

I don't see any dissagreement with your and his positions. For the example you gave above, the "how can I serve" philosophy the person in your example has is doing exaclty what John suggests...for that person staying is doing what is best for the person.

I marched one year in a finalist corps and three with the Blue Devils. I wasn't chasing rings. I hated my first summer and was basically talked into going to BD after being told how different it is from other corps. That was the closest thing to a family I ever felt. I feel like so many groups throw that word around so superficially, as if the more they say it the more it becomes true. All I know is I didn't feel like part of a family until I was a part of a group that treated me like it.

Thank you. The overuse of the word "family" -- either when advertising to potential recruits or when pleading to members to return -- is so nauseating to me.

• Like 1

So, if a corps defines success as striving to be the best it can be, then by definition it is committed to the work of advancement, and that means it has to figure out retention. But it's like love: You can't command love; you can only win love. So, a corps needs to figure out how to win it from as many vets as possible. A corps needs to be worthy of a vet's return.

So let's stipulate here that we're talking about such corps -- the kind that aren't poisonous or dysfunctional, the kind worthy of a vet's continued participation. Even among those corps, some members depart for what they consider to be greener, higher-placing pastures. Some of them, maybe most, do it for the best of reasons -- maybe they've always had a crush on SCV or have always wondered what it would be like to part of Phantom's guard -- and not out of disrespect for their previous corps. That's cool.

Yet I keep a special place in my heart for members who put something else before their own self-fulfillment.

Completely agree with you, especially the bolded part.

If the criteria of staff retention, good programming, solid administration and reliable operations (transportation) are met ... then I'm all for convincing rookies or young two-year vets to give it another try with their first corps.*

I just get really angry when the matter is framed with all-or-nothing language and this nonsense idea that your first corps is automatically your "family." If you're pressured into staying with a group that you know has noticeable flaws that aren't being corrected, you'll probably set yourself up for disappointment.

It comes down to one question: Why do you do this activity? If it's to selflessly use your developed talents to help the corps you identify with get better ... that is awesome, and I know several people who started as non-finalists and aged-out in the top 5 with the same corps. But also know that there's forces outside of your talent that ultimately determine how well your corps does.

Keep it simple. Do this activity to have fun and to grow as a musician/performer.

*especially when you consider the vast improvement of current 25th-13th place groups vs those from 10+ years ago.

I stuck with my first corps and I remember looking elsewhere. Not necessarily because I didn't like my corps (i liked the instructors, the people, the whole program), but because I was curious about a new experience. However, I stuck with my corps for several reasons and and I wouldn't trade a day of it. I've met soo many people and it's always nice to run into them, especially old staff and they still know who you are even when you've been away for years. When a member died a few years ago tons of alumni turned out for the wake complete with a brass ensemble, and that's what I liked about my corp, even outside of DCI there is a strong bond.

I think it is soo true though to do what makes you happy. Not every corp is a good fit for everyone whether it be personality or what have you. What IS important is to do what your gut says. Don't feel married to any one corps, they all provide a different atmosphere but if you find a place that makes you happy and you enjoy yourself why would you ever leave? I've seen several people move on from a corp to others and some never spent more than a year at any one corp which I'm not fond of, but so be it. Some really enjoyed their new corps and that's great. Even better is that they're still devoted to both, some even in a teaching capacity. Others...not so much. I'm reminded of a corps member who went to another corps and we beat them at a show or two, we loved it because they had left us and I remember us saying, "bet they hate leaving now." Turns out they didn't enjoy their time there all that much and regretted it even though they eventually passed us by seasons end.

Truth be told, we're all looking for something different in our marching experience. No one is right and no one is wrong. What I have issue with is when people move to fuel their ego, but that's a personality issue and if you're marching a corp to just flaunt a ring or a placement in someone's face then you've got some character flaws IMO. AND if you're a corps flaunting family to entice members to stay, I'd say you've got more important issues at hand. The corps should speak for itself, not just the number at the end of the season, but the whole package. Family and rings are great but they're not always perfect and there's nothing wrong in doing what's right for you. However, the idealist in me just hopes more would want to be part of something growing rather than the 'right now.'

Edited by HPUEuph
  • Like 1

What IS important is to do what your gut says. Don't feel married to any one corps, they all provide a different atmosphere but if you find a place that makes you happy and you enjoy yourself why would you ever leave?

Agree... Opinions and/or feelings may change after that first year in a corps. You might have enjoyed it but if given the chance to march another season you might want to do something different.

Dropped out of my first corps when that dreaded J.O.B. had me working rotating shifts. Few years later I was out of that mess and thought of marching again. By that time my old corps was near the top of the heap and (as you can imagine) it was pretty intense to maintain that standing. Had enough going on with my life at that time so looked for a corps that was competing but not in the "thank you sir, may I have another" mindset. Forget why I never followed thru but would have been interesting....

LOL and it is possible to have more than one corps "family"...... even if they were rivals which gets more interesting.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Vets should go to the organization at which they will learn the most, have the best experience, be able to contribute creatively rather than simply be ordered around, and in all, where they can achieve their highest potential.

Carpe diem. 21 comes all too quickly.

• Like 2

I was one of those guys who went to different corps. And there is a reason for that.

I first learned of drum corps after the 1994 when I was 13 years old. I remember a friend showing me a a recording of finals and I watched all the shows, but I fell in love with Cadets. I had never had the chance to see Cadets live until 1997. After that, I KNEW that was where I wanted to be. At that time, I really couldn't care any less about whether or not they were winning. I just wanted to play hard music, and run and gun while doing it. But at that time, I did not feel I was good enough to do that.

I marched Surf in 1997. I had a good experience there, but that was not for me. I then moved onto Crossmen in 1998. It was one of the worst years I had ever marched in drum corps (and I am going into detail about it, just take my word for it). I finally got the guts to try out for Cadets in 1999 and I was so excited that I was chosen. But 1999 was my toughest year in drum corps because the drill was relatively harder than any drill I had ever marched. I almost didn't go back. But I went back in 2000 and it ended up being THE BEST year in drum corps I had ever had. I didn't march my last two years because I didn't think it could get any better.

So I believe a marching member should go where he/she feels their heart belongs. If I hadn't marched Cadets, I think I would have regretted it for the rest of my life.

I'll be honest... 23 years have passed so I am certain the "corps loyalty" statute of limitations has expired on this one...

I tried out for Blue Devils in my age out year (92). I would have made the line. I listened to everyone else though and went back to Freelancers and aged out with my "family". Whilst I enjoyed my age out year and take great pride in the fact that we made finals by .05, to this day, I wish I had stuck it out with Concord. I know they did not win that year, but a part of me really wanted to see what life at the top was like. I wish I had experienced that.

If someone marching in say Troopers feels that way, why shouldn't they chase their dreams? Our time in DCI is limited by age. You are only 22 once. Chase your dreams.

• Like 2

Funny how most everybody on here likes to express the belief that "Drum Corps is, first and foremost, for the kids." Yet, at the same time, it seems perfectly acceptable for everyone and his brother (don't blame me for the phrase...I grew up hearing it from my parents on a daily basis) seems to feel that he or she is justified in determining when the decision of an adolescent is suddenly right....and when it's wrong...based on the adult's personal belief standards. If this activity is truly about "the kids," then it seems to me that the decision of each individual marcher -- no matter how unpalatable or self-serving any of us may see it as being (and without personally being in that adolescent's shoes, and knowing the specific situation first-hand) -- is the right and sole propriety of that marcher. If you want that marcher to stay where he is for all eternity (well, at least until the day comes where he or she leaves his or her shoes on the field on age-out night) -- are you willing to cover his or her expenses to that Corps in those intervening years?

Edit: I'm sorry for the lengthy rant. I guess I felt that I had to speak up on this. But if I also recall correctly, there was this man named Curt Flood...

Edited by HornTeacher