Drumsticks

J. Miller

All drum player connesuiers:

My nine year old wants to learn how to play and I am about to venture to the big city to get a pair of sticks and a pad so he can begin.

My son is about 4'5'" tall and is slender. I want to pick a pair of sticks that will not be too big or too small, but as baby bear said, "just right." something that he can grasp so he can prepare his way to march corps some day.

I would also like to know what is the best pad out there and good beginning level books to use.

I have been out of active drum corps drumming since 1985, so I am a bit rusty as to what technology has brought us this day and age.

thanks!

Ralph Hardimon sticks are good in terms of their light weight, and you might try Real Feel pads.

See http://www.vicfirth.com/product/corpsmastersticks.html for the Hardimon's and other famous drum instructors' sticks.

Don't start him out with standard marching percussion snare sticks, like those on the website you're being directed to (they used to be called 3S). Those will be too large for his hands. Go to your local music store. They are likely to have someone there who gives percussion lessons. Any sticks that "fit" his hands will do, since he's a pure beginner. Consider 2S or something similar (ask the salesperson at the music store or the percussion instructor they hire as a free-lancer). He can "grow" into a pair of Hardimon's, Jeff Moore's, or other 3S size sticks in a year or so, once he's got a feel for correct grip, and has built up some hand and finger strength and control.

You also need to consider if he is going to be in his middle or high school band. His band director may have a preference (or at least a suggestion). None of this is rocket science. The main thing, however, is not to get sticks that are TOO big. All of the sticks that the drum corps use are likely to be TOO big for someone the size of your son.

I made that mistake with several beginning students when I was a young instructor years and years ago. Their hands get tired, they get frustrated, it becomes no fun . . .

By the way, an age-old trick that any "pro" learns as an instructor. Teach the basics (play slow and correctly, NOT fast, etc.). But, MAKE SURE to teach a few "tricks" (stick tosses, simple backsticking, flips, etc.). It'll keep 'em interested, they can show off for their friends (no one wants to say "I'm a drummer now, watch" and then do duts on each hand for five minutes!).

I also agree that the Real Feel is a good pad. I bought mine through the Cavaliers website. $35 and it arrived in two days. I got the larger one with the hard "feel" on one side and the soft "feel" on the other side. Very nice.

I don't know about beginner level books. I don't think you'll find them on any drum corps websites. If you're looking for basic beginning drumming books, go to a website called "rudimentaldrumming.com" and I think you can find some ideas there.

Good luck.

When you go to the music store for the sticks, you can also talk to the instructor as far as a good book for beginners. The old adage learn to walk before you can run is just as true in drumming. I recommend learning the rudiments as they are the base for everything else you play. But by the same flip of the coin, like Paul said, learn some basic tricks.

As for general info and maybe a place to ask about good books, you can start on:

http://www.pas.org

http://www.drop6.org

http://www.tapspace.org

The books listed on those sites were more advanced though.

When I was learning, starting in 5th grade, I used the sticks that came with my snare. Then my instructor turned me onto rudiments in Junior High, and I started using larger sticks (3S). But as one of the other posters here said in this thread, it will take time to build muscle enough to be able to use larger sticks.

I remember the books I learned from were Stone's "stick control", and, "Syncopation for the Modern Drummer". They are on Amazon.com.