Are Corps Shows Offering Too Little Substance?

Anyone who is on the DCI email list, or who glanced at their website, as it was discussed in a Field Pass segment and various other news bits starting at the beginning of the year and continuing all season....

If you felt a Korean pop song and Little Red Riding Hood was too hard to understand, I'm interested in your thoughts on how to clearly present this concept of "Crisis in Sudan" to a mass audience in 10 minutes. .

Sounds a little heavy to me..

Perhaps the question is, how many times does one need to see a show before it makes sense? I saw the BD show in late July and it made no sense to me whatsoever. After seeing it again in Indy, I caught on to the story, but I was not familiar with the music. I can honestly say I've had this happen with other corps, even with shows I really loved. I've had it occur at WGI a lot, where I'd watch a performance and say, weird, I have no idea what I just watched, but they performed it well, even after seeing a show multiple times in a season.

I think this is a valid question to ask if you expect to grow the fan base of DCI beyond the junkies on this forum. Not everyone spends their free time reading up about corps' shows. They just want to go watch and be entertained. Perhaps there is a magic balance that exists between abstract and overt?

I have to agree with you on some things but others not so much. I enjoyed this years show but heard many say "Here they ago again..what is this they are doing". For years people have complained the Devils play to the judges and the sheets and the audience is left out in the cold. They have had a few superior shows that hit on all cylinders but the majority the past 10-15 years were not designed for the paying customer to feel or enjoy.

If you can't figure out a show based on the simplest of fairy tales, I don't know what to tell you.

• Like 3

The "hip hop" that you actually misidentified was a K-Pop song called "I Like You". The segment features an imaginary fairy tale character you may have heard of . . . the Big Bad Wolf. Now, BD's show featured the music of Stephen Sondheim, particularly from a show called Into the Woods. It's a show where there are many fairy tale characters, one of whom is the Big Bad Wolf. In the show, the Big Bad Wolf's major line is . . . wait for it . . . "I like you."

I've never seen the stage show, and I only saw the recent middling movie version of Into the Woods once, but I can't find "I like you" in the lyrics to the wolf's song, "Hello Little Girl". Is it part of the spoken dialogue? It's not turning up in either this script of the play or in this sceenplay of the film, as far as I can tell.

If you can't figure out a show based on the simplest of fairy tales, I don't know what to tell you.

To be fair, I sincerely doubt that anyone would understand what the connection between the K-Pop tune and ITW/LRRH unless they were told the title of piece in English (unless they're a closet K-Pop fan). Heck most people would not even understand the term K-Pop.

Edited by corpsband

Anyone who is on the DCI email list, or who glanced at their website, as it was discussed in a Field Pass segment and various other news bits starting at the beginning of the year and continuing all season....

If you felt a Korean pop song and Little Red Riding Hood was too hard to understand, I'm interested in your thoughts on how to clearly present this concept of "Crisis in Sudan" to a mass audience in 10 minutes. :ninja:

Haha. Fair enough. But should a Korean Pop Song be easy to recognize by an American audience?

Edited by chris7997

I've never seen the stage show, and I only saw the recent middling movie version of Into the Woods once, but I can't find "I like you" in the lyrics to the wolf's song, "Hello Little Girl". Is it part of the spoken dialogue? It's not turning up in either this script of the play or in this sceenplay of the film, as far as I can tell.

Which is exactly why they changed it to "I like you" because Hello Little Girl is pretty darn creepy.

To those who say they only play to the judges? NO they play to people who want to at least try to understand the show and are interested in new things and expanding their horizons. If that is too much for you perhaps try something else or fire up your old VCR and watch your old timy drum corpse shows. Things change and evolve. I am seeing a lot of very interesting shows. One of which almost won but they had a bad run finals night. Better luck next time.

I am quite enthusiastic about the level of the activity and where it is going. Look at all of the drum corps this year that competed. Even the little tiny ones are doing stuff that amazes me. Bravo drum corps!

If you fail to see how great things are becoming then it's too bad for you but don't try to make everyone else as miserable as you are because it only highlights it even more. Stay classy.

Why would they need to know? Modern drum corps create programs that work on multiple levels. They work for the casual, one-time viewer, and they work for the hard-core fan that sees the show many times. Depth of program also makes it more interesting and engaging for the performers.

*You* might not have understood what they were doing, but anyone who's seen Into the Woods got it. Anyone familiar with K-POP music would get it (far more young people than anyone here realizes).

You also said, "I just didn't like it." Now we've reached the crux of your argument. You didn't get it. You didn't like it....both of those are ok. But you *could* have tried a little harder to understand it if you'd wanted to.

It's not hard to figure out either...

http://youtu.be/XtYbISpw460

Kamarag, the Blue Devils show proves my point exactly. I understand your point about the hard core viewer, but linking K-Pop to Fairy Tails is a bit of a stretch in my opinion, and vague references of different fairy tails with no unifying theme. And what is the "I WISH" vocal at the end? I wish what? The show was not clear and besides the applause for the "park and blow" ending, left the audience confused. My larger point is that shows are too vague and ambiguous. What does numbers have to do with Shastokovich's music? The Power of 10 communicates nothing. Part of general effect is clarity and communicating/connecting with your audience. To put out a show with fairy tails, rap, and random electronic vocals is not communicating clearly with you audience.

Haha. Fair enough. But should a Korean Pop Song be easy to recognize by an American audience?

I didn't recognise it so I went out and tried to learn more about it. I did research on a number of things from Into the Woods to Dante's Inferno to a number of other show ideas.

Recently I found a practically mint condition box set of Turandot records. I snatched that up in a hot second. Thank you Phantom Regiment for turning me on to that. My next thing to discover is Bruckner (thank you Cavaliers)

If all you want is simple stuff that you don't have to research then there are other shows like the incredible Madison Scouts.

However if you are going to rant and rail real hard about how you just didn't get it... Then it is painfully obvious that isn't really what is bothering you. Stay classy.