Did DCA even have Inspections?

Title has the question..... Have a "changes' thread going on a FB page but getting all Jr side responses.

And lot of the answers are "blame DCI"...... :peek: geez like the Sr side never changed.....

Title has the question..... Have a "changes' thread going on a FB page but getting all Jr side responses.

And lot of the answers are "blame DCI"...... :peek: geez like the Sr side never changed.....

:ninja:

Hey Jimbo -

I remember the Legion had them when I started, along with the VFW at the state level. But if DCA ever had them - you need to ask a REAL dinosaur - maybe Tom Peashey or Andy Lisko or one of THOSE elder statesmen might be able to confirm / deny.

Excellent question my friend - BTW - hope you and the Mrs. are doing OK - gonna miss you'se guys in Rochacha. Be well !!

Pat

Edited by goalieguy

Good wishes back to you and yours Pat.

Thought of TomP but forgot about Andy (tsk tsk Jim).... All I know is 78 AL Nats did not have them when Westshore and Chicago Connection were the 2 Sr corps there. LOL we had Blue Devils old unis then and they were kinda beat.

Waiting to sign up for DCA online.... wish we were with all out friends but glad we can watch from afar....

IIRC, Frank Dorritie told us a story BITD where Sun was at a Legion or VFW show and they tried to dock the corps because he and some of the guys hair was too long.

The catch was that Frank and those other guys were serving in the military at that time, and they raised the argument that if they were currently in the military and their haircut was meeting the regs, how was it failing inspection at a corps show? :satisfied:

Soooo, Frank would also definitely know.

Edited by BigW
  • Like 1

We had inspections at ICA. Vince B used to let dignitaries join him in inspecting the corps before parades and special appearances (Crusaders and Statesmen). It was a traditional inspection line, parade rest, then full attention. You didn't want to have any IP's, trust me.

Didn't know that Joe thanks. I did Honor Guard duty during some 85 ICA shows and never realized....

Nope ... no inspections in DCA ... AL and VFW shows held onto them at the National and State level until their demise ...

:-)

:ninja:

Hey Jimbo -

I remember the Legion had them when I started, along with the VFW at the state level. But if DCA ever had them - you need to ask a REAL dinosaur - maybe Tom Peashey or Andy Lisko or one of THOSE elder statesmen might be able to confirm / deny.

Excellent question my friend - BTW - hope you and the Mrs. are doing OK - gonna miss you'se guys in Rochacha. Be well !!

Pat

On that end of things, my guess is that Boston in 1980 was the last AL Championships where the corps met at the National Convention site and competed there. A VERY good lineup at that show, too! Cabs upset Bucs at that show IIRC.

Fran did say in another thread awhile ago for some time later on the Scranton show became the de facto AL Championship as well, but it's not thought of as such today. I think Empire won a few of those in their heyday.