Did DCA even have Inspections?

No finish line in 74 and only guard on the field before the show started. My first year so remember it well... Rest of corps was off the back sideline and old OTL line.

After that kind of blends together and we were doing the DCA/RCA balancing act....

I remember inspections being done for at least my first year in junior corps...1971... at the New Jersey AL States show in Wildwood, the weekend after Labor Day.

I sometimes wondered if those inspections were as objective as they were supposed to be... or whether it depended on which side of the bed an inspection judge woke up on.

Or.... at the NJ AL States... whether or not the judge actually had gone to bed the night before. :tongue:

• Like 2

Inspection was one of the annoyances that helped create DCA... having some dignitary (army officer or whoever) actually take points away from the field score was completely against everything we stood for... however, I'll give you that close up we sure looked good back then... what choice did we have? So no, DCA NEVER considered inspections.

True story... one of the times I saw Vince Bruni with true fire in his eyes... 1972 Legion Nationals Chicago Soldier Field... we got on the inspection line and looked as the "officer" was about to inspect us and low and behold it was the recently retired Mr. Caballero Ralph Silverbrand being honored by the legion by making him the "inspector general" for the day... a quick smile and Vince could breath again - he got the message loud and clear... I believe he found 2 ticks and managed to find the same 2 ticks on Cabs... but for a few seconds... TENSION did exist...

While every part of this is accurate... I've been accused of misleading you because I referred to 1972 Legion Nationals Chicago Soldier Field... and of course inspection was at prelims which was held at some high school... generally I refer to legion nationals 72 as soldier field... sorry if I didn't cross the t's and dot the i's the way everyone wishes... duh... picky picky

Edited by TomPeashey
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

<< snip >> but for a few seconds... TENSION did exist...

......said the man who authored "I am Woman, the Dani Affair, Escape from Iran and Madam President" (now THAT sounds like TENSION !)

Buy the books Joe... amazon.com... only $2.99 each for electronic version - might surprise you...

• 1 year later...

I know there were no inspections in DCA in 1966. As a member of the Lt. Norman Prince Princemen, I enjoyed being free of this practice from my junior corps days.

......said the man who authored "I am Woman, the Dani Affair, Escape from Iran and Madam President" (now THAT sounds like TENSION !)

Joe, after you read those three... be sure to give "The Eunuch and Her Roman General" a read...

you just might enjoy it... and there's even a couple of two hanky moments in that one...