A trivial question...

I realize trivial topics rarely take up residence on this hallowed forum, but yet, something of an extremely trivial nature has been weighing heavily on my mind...

I noticed that on the field at Lucas Oil, the "50's" were of a more orange-ish hue than the other numbers. If memory serves, they used to be white just like the rest of the numbers. Does anyone know why?

As I read what I just typed, I kind of think this post is a waste of space. I'm going to post it anyway.

Edited by losnickes

It wasn't too trivial for the Cadets, since they had to make a last minute adjustment to two of their "1" tarps to account for this.

Because this year marks the 50th anniversary of the NFL,* the "50" is painted gold rather than white this year.

*Correction: as others have noted, it's not the 50th anniversary of the NFL, which was founded in 1920, but the 50th iteration of the Superbowl, which was first contested between the winners of the National Football League and the American Football League in January 1967 (i.e., at the end of the 1966 season).

Edited by N.E. Brigand

The NFL is using gold number 50s in each stadium this year for Super Bowl 50. Being at Lucas Oil on Saturday night, I have to admit the gold 50s looked more like "worn-out" white 50s or "sand-colored" 50s. Perhaps due to the Lucas Oil staff painting the field at the start of Championships weekend and not touching it up during the weekend.

Made for an interesting surprise to Cadets' staff when they were painting their tarps to cover up all of the yeardline numerals to change them all into the number 10, only to find out that the staff had to scramble last-minute to change one set of them into gold numer 1s...