Corps on the Move in 2016 - Who to Watch?

I think he was referring to Kinetic Noise as tilt 2. I may be wrong that just an assumption.

Oh I know. I just disagree that Kinetic Noise was anything like Tilt.

• Like 3

I've been watching the Bluecoats since 2012 and I'm not done watching them yet. They've improved so much and hopefully next year they'll come back with something fresh and innovative and get that gold. If not, I don't think they'll back down until they get there.

• Like 1

I have absolutely no clue in predicting who will move up because it all hinges on who I think will fall. I think Academy may move up a spot but that's about it. For Mandarins and OC I think they'll either stay the same or drop back a bit. Sometimes corps try to build too much upon a good year, plus it wouldn't be the first time Mandarins fell back after a good showing, but long as they put fourth shows like this season, I see no reason for them not to move up. That whole peer group is generally very volatile. Even when we had more corps e.g. Southwind, Cap Reg., and Magic it was always a dog fight between 15-20. I think every corp in that range deserves some extra attention and I'm sure there will be some jostling.

For the top 12...I think BK will stay around 5th, maybe get closer to 4th but I think they'll stay around the same spot. I just hope they don't overestimate themselves and drop. I also see Boston regrouping and moving back up. However for 12...that's tricky but I'll say we see Troopers

• Like 1

Oh I know. I just disagree that Kinetic Noise was anything like Tilt.

It was like tilt in the fact that it had quite a few electronic effects and had some obscure music repertoire, but other than that I find that the similarities tend to disappear. But then again there's a slim line between having a show that has the corps' sound and having a show that almost seems like the same thing.

At their current rate, I'm predicting PC will get beaten by three Open Class corps in Semis 2016-- Genesis wasn't too far behind this year.

I've been watching the Bluecoats since 2012 and I'm not done watching them yet. They've improved so much and hopefully next year they'll come back with something fresh and innovative and get that gold. If not, I don't think they'll back down until they get there.

The big thing here with Bluecoats and possibly Blue Knights is that they may now see very few members move to Blue Devils, Cadets, SCV or especially Cavaliers or Phantom. That should give them a good shot at moving up, by default, although the reality is BD was very young this year so they are only going to reload.

The corps that needs to be serious this offseason is Vanguard, because with the rise of Bluecoats and BK they are in danger of falling back. And you cannot expect that Cavaliers will remain out of medal contention forever. Scores are rising across the board and for good reason. You can get better but fall back in the competitive rankings.

There's a little group called the Blue Devils. I think they are up-and-comers with a lot of potential.

Heh. Of course they'll be good again. But its hard to move up from the top. I keep waiting for the year when the BD staff blows our minds by dropping the formula and style of the past several years and does some thing entirely different, entirely well, and still presses for a win. I remember the year they did Tommy and sitting there in the stands with my high school asst. band director saying saying, "This isn't Blue Devils screaming jazz at all. But ####, they're doing TOMMY!" They seem "due" for a stylistic shift into new territory again.

Edited by KVG_DC

I thought I heard that he was fired as soon as he was finished writing the drill this year? Also, I saw today that Chuck Naffier is stepping down. Makes me wonder about the Colts, unless they can bring in a solid and proven design team. But even then, that can be a toss up the first year or two.

I agree, Crossmen is definitely a corps to watch for next season. Guard having been 6th/7th Allentown/Prelims/Semis? That program is definitely taking a step in the right direction, as well as the rest of the visual program, as well. The visual captions were all strong for them this season, and I only expect them to make even more noise next season, especially on the visual side of things. Hopefully music can step up to the same level competitively as the visual did this year/hopefully will next.

one year success doesn't mean future success. Check out 2014 4th place guard and where they ended in 2015. Guard is one of those captions that can fluctuate year to year with talent levels and difficulty. You can hide brass parts but it's hard to hide guard parts.