Regardless of final placement, your five most favorite shows

The "re-write of spring" music was taken directly from Darryl Brenzel's jazz arrangements of the Rite of Spring.

There was some debate here in 2013 about how much Brenzel was used in BD's show, for example:

Sebesky's take on Rite of Spring is not a jazz arrangement. It's a massively edited, but straight-up arrangement for orchestra with ultra-reverbed jazz soloists noodling over the top. BD took the reverb and the repetitious use of the opening bassoon solo of the original from the Sebesky record. The Brenzel arrangement (Rewrite of Spring) that they credit is an amazing jazz arrangement that stays true to the original, while also conforming to the jazz idiom, but BD only use a few tidbits from it, alas.

The jazzy hits of BD's show were from Brenzel's arrangement. The trumpet and flugel solos were from the Sebesky record. The rest was from the original. Sometimes the Brenzel was relatively close to the original, so maybe that's the difference in our interpretations. If there wasn't a detectable swing, I thought of it as being from Stravinsky. The other factor in my assessment is that BD just didn't use all that much material from either version, really. Five minutes at most.

It was an amazing year, and there were so many great and entertaining shows. My top 5 were

1. SCV

2. Cadets

3. Carolina Crown

4. Blue Devils

5. Mandarins/Cavaliers tie

My top 5 Open/International I am listing them because 2 of these shows were actually in my top 10 overall

1. Genesis

2. Vanguard Cadets

3. Blue Devils B

4. Jubal

5. Colt Cadets

Wow, there were a lot more votes than I thought. I weighted everything (1st got 5 points, 5th got 1 point), unless someone said "in no particular order" in which case I gave every corps 3 points. Wife/fiancee/significant other votes were also counted. If there were ties, I gave both corps that amount of points. If you voted for more than five, well, that wasn't the game, so only your top five counted (unless you specified ties, of course). Also Bearwy only gave 5 points to the Troopers, not 14, but even at 14 their score wouldn't increase enough to catch Scouts. Enjoy!

vxUrDf5.jpg

Most people just listed them. Doesn't mean that they put in order so this is kind of a meh graph.

Here's a compilation of the votes. Since a lot of folks voted "in no particular order" and since I didn't have a ton of extra time to try to use order of inclusion in the lists I just gave one point for each mention on someone's top 5 list

59 Carolina Crown

42 Bluecoats

42 SCV

37 Cadets

33 Blue Knights

31 Blue Devils

26 Madison

20 Academy

18 Troopers

15 Colts

12 Cavaliers

10 BAC

9 Phantom

8 Blue Stars

6 Mandarins

5 Crossmen

1 Genesis

1 OC

1 SCVC

this doesn't surprise me at all. Pretty much majority of DCP hated phantoms show (see phall topic), they never cared about the stars, and don't like the singing in Crossmen. Almost all the votes for the bottom groups are alumni who support their groups.

This makes me sound really basic but...

1.) BD

2.) Bluecoats

3.) Crown

4.) Cadets

5.) Blue Knights

• Like 1

When I listed my favorite shows, I forgot one that may be better categorized as a performance, but I think everyone in attendance would agree; Boston Crusaders and Blue Devils at Tanglewood with the brass section of the Boston Pops. Great night. I was at Beanpot in Lynn on July 4th so I missed the Esplanade ((I knew I would not get to Boston in time to get a good view so I chose Beanpot instead), but I know those who were in attendance considered it a great moment.

I was at Beanpot in Lynn on July 4th so I missed the Esplanade ((I knew I would not get to Boston in time to get a good view so I chose Beanpot instead), but I know those who were in attendance considered it a great moment.

Too bad you couldn't have caught the corps on the 3rd and still do the Beanpot.