Phantom Regiment 2016

Phantom's opener is the most unmemorable one in their history. The show is just plain boring....and the music selections....You get the idea. What has a staff done to make Phantom not Phantom anymore? Hate it for the kids more than anything.

So, as a counter-weight, I'd like to give my thoughts on this years show:

This is *by far* the best Regiment show fielded since 08. On all fronts. Maybe its because I've watched it upwards of 20 times, but the opener is stellar, drums are rocking, guard is fantastic, and the drill already shows Tony Hall's crazy imprint. I'm sure it will show more of it as the season progresses. Congrats to Will on some brilliant arrangements, and the hornline for being kick-### all around (as expected). That trumpet soloist is a phenom. A true classic in the making. I'm actually very confused about those who seem to not like it-- if this isn't your thing then perhaps Regiment isn't your style? There are "good," well-excecuted shows by other corps that I don't like at all-- but they simply aren't my style. Drumcorps is a subjective activity. Do I think Regiment is being under-scored? Sure. But, it seems like scores across the board are being kept low, so I won't complain too much. Besides, since when does anyone march Regiment to get a score? IMO, this should be a top 5, if not top 3, contender. There are other great shows out there though, scoring higher, and I think it will be a dogfight throughout the season.

TL;DR Regiment has their best show since 08.

• Like 7

This is *by far* the best Regiment show fielded since 08. On all fronts. Maybe its because I've watched it upwards of 20 times, but the opener is stellar, drums are rocking, guard is fantastic, and the drill already shows Tony Hall's crazy imprint. I'm sure it will show more of it as the season progresses. Congrats to Will on some brilliant arrangements, and the hornline for being kick-### all around (as expected). That trumpet soloist is a phenom. A true classic in the making. I'm actually very confused about those who seem to not like it-- if this isn't your thing then perhaps Regiment isn't your style? There are "good," well-excecuted shows by other corps that I don't like at all-- but they simply aren't my style. Drumcorps is a subjective activity. Do I think Regiment is being under-scored? Sure. But, it seems like scores across the board are being kept low, so I won't complain too much. Besides, since when does anyone march Regiment to get a score? IMO, this should be a top 5, if not top 3, contender. There are other great shows out there though, scoring higher, and I think it will be a dogfight throughout the season.

Tony Hill wrote the drill? I thought it was Dwight Emmert. I may be mistaken.

Tony Hill wrote the drill? I thought it was Dwight Emmert. I may be mistaken.

Tony Hall is the visual coordinator. I think the conjecture is that he'll be heavily involved in rewriting and tweaking throughout the season.

• Like 2

This show isn't even on the same plane as 2012, or 2010 and 2011 for that matter. I will agree it's better than 2013 and 2014. Musically not very exciting. Too many slow parts. Edited by henry7184
  • Like 1

In my opinion, this show isn't even on the same plane as 2012, or 2010 and 2011 for that matter. I will agree thatI think it's better than 2013 and 2014. Musically not very exciting, in my opinion. Too many slow parts, in my opinion.

FTFY
  • Like 1

Tony Hall is the visual coordinator. I think the conjecture is that he'll be heavily involved in rewriting and tweaking throughout the season.

That's correct. You can already see some of his work if you know what to look for (weird reshaping curves, etc). It's my understanding that he doesn't really write drill much himself, since he does it on napkins by hand and using ...um... interesting techniques.

• Like 1

This show isn't even on the same plane as 2012, or 2010 and 2011 for that matter...

Too many slow parts.

Agree to disagree, but fair enough.

This show reminds me strongly of 2003 in quite a number of ways, the pertinent one here is that the "too many slow parts" of having 2 ballads is quite remniscent of 2003 where there were also 2 ballads. Interesting. Perhaps worthy of a new topic comparing the two?

• Like 1