MADISON SCOUTS 2016

No Latin or Jazz or anything remotely recognizable to anybody except maybe College Music Majors.

As much as there is that I don't like about current "Marching Band On Steroids" I could live with all the nonsense if the Music was there. It Aint! Just a bunch of off the wall musical phrases and passages. Nothing I recognize and can get into.

DCI used to be primarily about the Music and "In Your Face" loud G Bugles blasting out songs that we all liked. Drill was secondary.

Somebody, anybody, please take a leap of faith and bring back "Old School" music. Keep all your modern theatrical BS if you simply can't function without it, but bring back recognizable music to the field.................. :thumbup::worthy:

Sounds a bit narrow-minded to me. What may be considered recognizable music to one person may be completely out of the ordinary to someone else. Not only that, how can someone expand their horizons if they continually insist on being entrapped in a box?

edit: autocorrect.

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 2

Sounds a bit narrow-minded to me. What may be considered recognizable music to one person may be completely out of the ordinary to someone else. Not only that, how can someone expand their horizons if they continually insist on being entrapped in a box?

edit: autocorrect.

Truth.

If one keeps the doors and windows shut tight, eventually one chokes on the stale air which has stagnated and is no longer helpful for breathing. Death results.

Truth.

If one keeps the doors and windows shut tight, eventually one chokes on the stale air which has stagnated and is no longer helpful for breathing. Death results.

I guess it's not enough to say "I prefer a" or "I prefer b". We must now mock those with whom we disagree.

• Like 2

I think if Madison should decide to go a Latin music route, which I think could work, there are plenty of wonderful musical selections that have not been used that should be explored. One of my favorites that I would like to see them tackle would be "Conga de Fuego" by Arturo Montenez.

I think if Madison should decide to go a Latin music route, which I think could work, there are plenty of wonderful musical selections that have not been used that should be explored. One of my favorites that I would like to see them tackle would be "Conga de Fuego" by Arturo Montenez.

I want to see them revisit something along the lines of Cirque. 2003 might be my favorite Scouts show ever. I've also always wanted to see them play nothing but Malaga and Malaguena. Malaguena!!

But at the end of the day, don't we all really just want to see the Pirates of Lake Mendota return?

I really think Madison should explore the best of both worlds. Perform music from the movie Zorro (Latin/fiery) and tell us a great story (Like Pirates from 97)

:)

• Like 1

My own thoughts would be:

1. It's been done so many times.

2. Hard to tie into a 'narrative.'

3. Tempi are pretty static, wouldn't score well in 'content' subcaptions.

Having said these things, BD almost won five years ago with a mash up of Burt Bacharach. So...

Everyone has their opinion.....and I respect yours.

So my thoughts are

1. How many of the last five years musical productions featured classical, symphonic, wind ensemble and symphonic influenced music?

2. I think the reason corps pick music from my item 1. Its so they can make up any crazy storyline they want. How bout no concept and just kick butt music!!!

3. If it is arranged well and the execution is there; jazz/latin should do just fine...should!! key word

Edited by Triple Forte
  • Like 2

I really think Madison should explore the best of both worlds. Perform music from the movie Zorro (Latin/fiery) and tell us a great story (Like Pirates from 97)

The Americanos did zorro in like 96-or 97

:)