MADISON SCOUTS 2016

Not too crazy about the fact that they're doing music they've done in the past, but I'm excited to see what they can do with a dark concept.

How about the traditional green uniforms with black pants? #MadisonBlackout?

Absolutely no to black pants. They finally returned to the classic Madison look this past season and I hope it sticks. They haven't looked this good since around 2005.

• Like 3

The Madison Scouts announce their 2016 production: "Judas: The Music of Jesus Christ Superstar" :dancin:

http://www.madisonscoutslive.com/mainsite/2015/09/madison-scouts-announce-their-2016-production/

On a completely unrelated note... anybody know any good birth certificate forgers? :ninja:

• Like 2

In general, I do not have problems with corps revisiting what has been done in the past, unless a show from the past is iconic. While what defines an iconic show may be different for each fan, for me, Madison 1999 is one of the greatest shows of all time, at least from an entertainment and emotional point of view.. I can remember seeing it live at the Manning Bowl in Lynn and was absolutely blown away. For me, the music of "Jesus Christ, Superstar" is one Madison should leave alone because they did it so well in 1999. However it's not the revisiting of the music that concerns me most, it's the dark theme of "Judas." In general I'm not sure that dark themed shows serve corps well. in 2011, SCV did "Devil's Staircase" which failed to enthuse many crowds and gave them a 7th place finish. Boston Crusaders took us to the dark side in 2014 with "Animal Farm," 10th place, down from 8th the previous year. In 2015 Blue Stars had a dark themed show, 9th in 2014, 11th in 2015. True Crown's "Inferno" was a dark themed show, but it progressed from darkness to light, much like Cadets "Angels and Demons" did in 2011. Dark themed shows are a hard sell and in the case of at least BAC and Blue Stars, they had a difficult time keeping up the momentum as the season progressed.

Now there are some legitimate reasons to be excited about next year's show. For one thing Madison surprised many this past year with a show that gave them an 8th place finish, higher than in recent years. I do feel there is an upward momentum for the corps. Judas Iscariot is a complex figure, but Crown demonstrated that complex stories can work on the drum corps field, so it is not impossible. Also it may not be a musical repeat and there is plenty of music from "Jesus Christ, Superstar that has not seen the drum corps field. Now if they can create a sound similar to 1999, that would be amazing.

• Like 1

I think the dark theme fits Madison very well, because you know a dark theme show musically will be emotional, powerful, and loud!! Which is musically a traditional Madison style book.

In general, I do not have problems with corps revisiting what has been done in the past, unless a show from the past is iconic. While what defines an iconic show may be different for each fan, for me, Madison 1999 is one of the greatest shows of all time, at least from an entertainment and emotional point of view.. I can remember seeing it live at the Manning Bowl in Lynn and was absolutely blown away. For me, the music of "Jesus Christ, Superstar" is one Madison should leave alone because they did it so well in 1999. However it's not the revisiting of the music that concerns me most, it's the dark theme of "Judas." In general I'm not sure that dark themed shows serve corps well. in 2011, SCV did "Devil's Staircase" which failed to enthuse many crowds and gave them a 7th place finish. Boston Crusaders took us to the dark side in 2014 with "Animal Farm," 10th place, down from 8th the previous year. In 2015 Blue Stars had a dark themed show, 9th in 2014, 11th in 2015. True Crown's "Inferno" was a dark themed show, but it progressed from darkness to light, much like Cadets "Angels and Demons" did in 2011. Dark themed shows are a hard sell and in the case of at least BAC and Blue Stars, they had a difficult time keeping up the momentum as the season progressed.

Now there are some legitimate reasons to be excited about next year's show. For one thing Madison surprised many this past year with a show that gave them an 8th place finish, higher than in recent years. I do feel there is an upward momentum for the corps. Judas Iscariot is a complex figure, but Crown demonstrated that complex stories can work on the drum corps field, so it is not impossible. Also it may not be a musical repeat and there is plenty of music from "Jesus Christ, Superstar that has not seen the drum corps field. Now if they can create a sound similar to 1999, that would be amazing.

I understand where your feelings are coming from, but as someone who marched the '99 version, I appreciate them revisiting it, and the fact that the them will be different.

There's also a ton of material in JCS we didn't use, which will help make 2016 it's own classic Madison production.

I wonder if they will save the disembowelment for finals night (see Acts 1:18)?

I wonder if they will save the disembowelment for finals night (see Acts 1:18)?

No, that would be the Phantom Regiment version.

• Like 1

Absolutely no to black pants. They finally returned to the classic Madison look this past season and I hope it sticks. They haven't looked this good since around 2005.

How about the look from the early to mid-'80s? White top, red tie, green pants, and white bucks. Or the variant; green top, red tie, white pants, and white bucks. Those were the best Scouts uniforms.

Edited by corps8294

How about the look from the early to mid-'80s? White top, red tie, green pants, and white bucks. Or the variant; green top, red tie, white pants, and white bucks. Those were the best Scouts uniforms.

I believe what you are referring to as 'tops' were called (at the time) 'Eisenhower Jackets'

• Like 2

No. How about the Scouts stick with the current uniform long term?

Stop changing uni's every few years.

• Like 5