MADISON SCOUTS 2016

I beg to differ with this.

Weber and Rice were resident artists at the college I attended when I was there in the early 70's because one of the faculty members saw them in a small coffee house type setting in England, got into a discussion, and eventually brought them to USA where he made contact for them with a relative who worked one of NY's big labels. W&R give a different sense than your summary.

If you study the theme and dialogue, it is certainly based heavily on the viewpoint of Judas.

Might you be able to share where you gathered your information from, rather than how they came to the U.S. That doesn't really show the theme of JCS, simply your loose connection to someone who met them.

• Like 1

How about the look from the early to mid-'80s? White top, red tie, green pants, and white bucks. Or the variant; green top, red tie, white pants, and white bucks. Those were the best Scouts uniforms.

Madison did a "modern" version of this in 2008-2009. Was moderately well received in 2008 when announced, but on the field, it kind of camouflaged the musicians against the field.

Mike

If you study the theme and dialogue, it is certainly based heavily on the viewpoint of Judas.

Might you be able to share where you gathered your information from, rather than how they came to the U.S. That doesn't really show the theme of JCS, simply your loose connection to someone who met them.

I am going from my class notes of the lectures they gave in Fine Arts classes which I attended in the early '70's at the college at that time, pre-common video recording or online as we have today. Perhaps the official tapes are now in the library of the university which subsumed the smaller college in the late 80's.

To be clear, there are multiple leit-motifs of personality positioning in JCSS. The Judas view is but one. The presentation of Mary Magdalen is as strong if not more so. The interweaving of these and other strata are what make the fabric of the opus more than just "nice entertainment." The 2016 field show, being by The Scouts, makes the Mary Magdalen approach not as suitable, unlike Dorothy in Wizard of Oz or Carmen even.

Edited by xandandl

I am going from my class notes of the lectures they gave in Fine Arts classes which I attended in the early '70's at the college at that time, pre-common video recording or online as we have today. Perhaps the official tapes are now in the library of the university which subsumed the smaller college in the late 80's.

To be clear, there are multiple leit-motifs of personality positioning in JCSS. The Judas view is but one. The presentation of Mary Magdalen is as strong if not more so. The interweaving of these and other strata are what make the fabric of the opus more than just "nice entertainment." The 2016 field show, being by The Scouts, makes the Mary Magdalen approach not as suitable, unlike Dorothy in Wizard of Oz or Carmen even.

I would be interested in hearing those, as the creation of works like these are fun to learn about, although I'm surprised because in the education I received on it, it was quite different than what you're saying. But you heard from the source, so I would take that more than my professors.

Edited by tesmusic
  • Like 1

There are multiple threads but I think your understanding is pretty accurate.

I agree that (by far) the Judas viewpoint is the most striking and interesting. In fact some of the other threads/storylines actually parallel and/or reinforce his POV (ie the story of Christ the man (vs Christ the savior) and those who seek to save him from his fate).

Fun show concept (and one I've probably spent more time on than I'd care to admit) :-\

Will we see the hanging tree?

There are multiple threads but I think your understanding is pretty accurate.

I agree that (by far) the Judas viewpoint is the most striking and interesting. In fact some of the other threads/storylines actually parallel and/or reinforce his POV (ie the story of Christ the man (vs Christ the savior) and those who seek to save him from his fate).

Fun show concept (and one I've probably spent more time on than I'd care to admit) :-\

Will we see the hanging tree?

Are you donating the 30 coins of silver?

Fun correlation the last time the scouts marched jcss 99 a new Star Wars saga came out. Again the scouts will march jcss and again Star Wars is coming out with there new saga. Maybe this means the scouts should March Star Wars theme in 2017.

I would be interested in hearing those, as the creation of works like these are fun to learn about, although I'm surprised because in the education I received on it, it was quite different than what you're saying. But you heard from the source, so I would take that more than my professors.

I pm-ed him with info as I am not certain where the tapes currently are. Two of the profs involved in the lectures with the artists have past away since these classes over 35 years ago.