MADISON SCOUTS 2016

Could the Scouts use better across the board talent, no doubt, but I have to disagree in your analysis. One thing the leadership has worked hard at over the past few years is the talent issue. From what I've been told repeatedly is that the talent level over the past several years has consistently gotten better. Therefore, if true, where do we armchair quarterback next?...If you haven't heard though, the latest curve ball tossed out by Madison's leadership is that the corps would be more competitive if it had more money to work with...Unfortunately though, let's not kid ourselves, placement at the end of the season has a direct correlation to attracting talent. Let's hope that their talent search efforts wont be adversely affected.

When you say placement at the end of the season has a direct correlation to attracting talent, do you mean design and instructional talent? I agree with that. Because I think this year's show is a design flaw. Not a performer flaw. Give the young men a well designed show and they'd nail it.

When you say placement at the end of the season has a direct correlation to attracting talent, do you mean design and instructional talent? I agree with that. Because I think this year's show is a design flaw. Not a performer flaw. Give the young men a well designed show and they'd nail it.

I believe he means if the corps is on the rise you will pull more talented players. When you see a corps on the decline you will have people jumping ship. Look at Spirit after 2013. They had a rough 2014 and 15 turned into a huge rookie corps. You want to be the corps getting fed by other finalist groups not the finalist group feeding others. IMO that's why Troopers have had such a hard time moving up into finals. I'd be interested to see a list from corps showing how many new marchers in general they have, how many rookies but have marched somewhere else, and returning vets. I think that breakdown will truly show us a correlation of success in the top 12.

Simply selecting fresh pieces is not a theme. There's only one reason for Phantom's deflated scores this year: design. There's no theme around the selected pieces tying them together, no story, no through-line, no advancing or heightening, no game/pattern, and no meaning. Some of the set pieces harken back to prior shows, but it's not clear enough. Defy the sheets all you want, but one of the categories is GE. As a result, this amazing corps will place 9th. You don't need story and props, but you do need meaning-- a thematic argument, either on the field or off, that grows and builds for dramatic effect throughout the show culminating in an ending or anti-ending.

Madison's concept has thematic depth but is inherently flawed in its adaptation. The new show's story content doesn't match the original Broadway music in timbre, style or tone. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8lzmbAn8_Y

So if you are the Christ

You're the great Jesus Christ

Prove to me that You're no fool

Walk across my swimming pool.

If You do that for me

Then I'll let you go free.

C'mon, King of the Jews!

These are the reasons for the low scores, not that they need to "clean their feet." Please.

I don't FULLY disagree with you, but King Herod's song is by far the lightest and campiest song in the musical. I mean, watch this in comparison. Not that light. https://youtu.be/rGZgG8Ub8k4?t=5m2s

I don't FULLY disagree with you, but King Herod's song is by far the lightest and campiest song in the musical. I mean, watch this in comparison. Not that light. https://youtu.be/rGZgG8Ub8k4?t=5m2s

Exactly -- Chennel3 needs to go watch the entire musical again. It has a VERY dark side. Madison chose to go after the darkness. Whether they succeed or not, the ideas are there in the score. Listen to Judas:

Scouts have been operating on a shoestring for many years...During a good portion of that time period they were consistently in the top 6. I'm not suggesting the Association couldn't use a lot more money...But they ended up in 8th last year with what I understand to be a very similar economic picture. Are you suggesting as are some currently doing within the Scouts organization that their downturn this year is tied to their economics? If so, than you're simply yelling, SQUIRREL!

I wasn't suggesting that at all. I was only suggesting that if you're concerned, and in a position to, donating ALWAYS helps.

• Like 2

Exactly -- Chennel3 needs to go watch the entire musical again. It has a VERY dark side. Madison chose to go after the darkness. Whether they succeed or not, the ideas are there in the score. Listen to Judas:

The stage musical works because of its balance of light and dark, as witnessed in the bouyant '99 show. But that's not what this year is. This year they excerpted mostly the very darkest parts, the whipping, the crucifixion, the suicide, the sneering at Jesus from the afterlife, and the final eponymous number simply doesn't fit, and any buoyancy or rousing lift and audience feedback disappears. There's simply no buoyant crowd reaction-- as you'd expect if you were insane and adapted Cats and focused only on Macavity.

The stage musical works because of its balance of light and dark, as witnessed in the bouyant '99 show. But that's not what this year is. This year they excerpted mostly the very darkest parts, the whipping, the crucifixion, the suicide, the sneering at Jesus from the afterlife, and the final eponymous number simply doesn't fit, and any buoyancy or rousing lift and audience feedback disappears. There's simply no buoyant crowd reaction-- as you'd expect if you were insane and adapted Cats and focused only on Macavity.

That show is terrible. You can't make a story out of a show that has less content than Seinfeld.

• Like 1

That show is terrible. You can't make a story out of a show that has less content than Seinfeld.

You're talking about Cats, right? Because that show is pretty bad haha

Apropos of nothing I just realized that the same amount of time has elapsed between the '99 JCS show and this one as had between Garfield's 1983 show and their 2000 one. :mellow: