MADISON SCOUTS 2016

Yeah rebranding is probably the way to go. "MAI" Marching Arts International!

Yeah rebranding is probably the way to go. "MAI" Marching Arts International!

I think if it were to go that way, I'd want to distance the activity from the marching band baggage as well. For people who've never been involved, marching band is what happens at half time (often badly) while you go to the rest room, get a hot dog, and stretch. Understand I'm talking perception here - of people outside the activity. I'd be looking to re-introduce it as an exciting outdoor music/theatrical art. Needs some focus group work to figure out the hook and language. But think modern DCI is to 1980's marching band as Cirque is to Ringling Brothers. That kind of thing. But now we're way off topic!

Meanwhile, back at the ranch ... I believe the Scouts will edge out Boston for 12th Thurs.-Fri. and make finals.

• Like 3

DCI judging is a joke. Scouts' score has remained stagnant over how many days while all other scores go up? Apparently they are the only ones not improving?

I just don't understand how Academy is beating Madison. Madison's hit at "38" - "39" was AMAZING!!! Academy did not provide anything like that for me. The crowd at Allentown cheered louder for Madison than Academy (in my opinion) - Isn't that GE?

• Like 1

I think they've played and moved their show better than Madison has for several weeks. On the Atown broadcast they had an overall larger sound and cleaner show.

I just don't understand how Academy is beating Madison. Madison's hit at "38" - "39" was AMAZING!!! Academy did not provide anything like that for me. The crowd at Allentown cheered louder for Madison than Academy (in my opinion) - Isn't that GE?

Crowd reaction has nothing to do with GE...not that I disagree with you...I thought Scouts were AMAZING at Chester...the day before A-town...

Crowd reaction has nothing to do with GE...not that I disagree with you...I thought Scouts were AMAZING at Chester...the day before A-town...

And the Judge reaction has 'everything' to do with GE. I have heard GE Judge recordings where the audience golf claps and the judge is going bonkers!!

I agree that the language doesn't work any more. But it's not necessarily a bad thing. The activity has grown. IMO, the words Drum Corps and DCI are no longer adequate to describe the activity, and I think theres a strong argument to be made that it is inhibiting the sustainability and growth of the activity as a whole. It's a branding problem. I say, go with it. Rename/rebrand the activity and attract viewers and revenue streams beyond just the members, family, and alumni. There is a way to do this while retaining relevant traditions. And it's more likely to grow the activity. But I'm going off topic here.

Here is something. DCI has basically turned into marching band just about. The show designs are heading that way. It's just awful to see what used to be so great turn into what a lot of people used to do in their high school days.

• Like 1

Sadly, gone are the days when bands imitated what drum corps were doing. Now the DCI model is to use "cool" concepts seen in BOA and WGI.

• Like 1