MADISON SCOUTS 2016

I disagree. You have to have someone at the top who understands drum corps. Here in the Seattle area, the biggest knock on the Seattle Mariners was that the two people who were in control of the organization were NOT "baseball people." Their sole purpose was to deliver a check to Nintendo (who was the majority owner at the time for over 10 years) for each year. They were not concerned with wins/losses. All they cared about was making a profit from concessions, TV revenue and ticket sales. The GM prior to them was a "baseball" person and we nearly went to the World Series but was forced out by Nintendo.

The Scouts need a "drum corps" person that DCI and the drum corps community respects. Stewart could fit that bill.

I disagree. You have to have someone at the top who understands drum corps. Here in the Seattle area, the biggest knock on the Seattle Mariners was that the two people who were in control of the organization were NOT "baseball people." Their sole purpose was to deliver a check to Nintendo (who was the majority owner at the time for over 10 years) for each year. They were not concerned with wins/losses. All they cared about was making a profit from concessions, TV revenue and ticket sales. The GM prior to them was a "baseball" person and we nearly went to the World Series but was forced out by Nintendo.

The Scouts need a "drum corps" person that DCI and the drum corps community respects. Stewart could fit that bill.

They already have that in Chris Komnick. You couldn't ask for a better person to manage a drum corps. There is nobody more qualified or more dedicated.

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 2

Even If this idea was ever considered, and I don't think it should be, how would they know that Scott would even want to get involved with drum corps at all anymore?

I think Scott was director in 2002, when they came in 14th, their second lowest finish ever.

When was the last time Madison began the season only 5 pts behind the leader? Good on ya boys!

Well that turned out to be premature!

Well that turned out to be premature!

Thank you for that oh so necessary post.

• Like 1

Sorry, but Scott Stewart would not be respected in the current activity and he would not be interested anyway.

In his words, he feels that Drum Corps died in the mid to late 90s and has pretty much divorced himself from anything to do with DCI.

And while I admire parts of his vision, he was too militant and inflexible with his philosophy. In 1997, he met with some of the top

Directors and they told him they wanted to make pushes toward what we have now, and they wanted him to get on board....he point blank

told them to eff off and go start another circuit. He told me this directly. While I don't care for the other Directors being so H^^^ bent

on changing for change sake, Scott could have been far more diplomatic and not burned so many bridges.

Madison has a more than capable Executive Director and Director. To get ride of them and try to re-hire Stewart would

effectively end the Madison Scouts, as Scott would sacrifice the Corps to uphold his principles. He will never budge

on his "philosophy" and anyone who tries to challenge him will get ridiculed.

By the way, Dinosaurs (and I am one), maybe it's time for you to have a beer, kick back, STFU and let

the staff move forward with the Scouts the way they feel is needed.

• Like 2

It is ridiculous at this point that people's suggestions for a fix is to bring back Scott Stewart. He was great for the Scouts for a very long time. He has no interest in having anything to do with DCI anymore. As a member, I always hoped that Scott would come back while I marched for one night a season and act as the corps historian and tell us stories... Lots of us did. He is not interested in doing that even. He would be a terrible fit for the current activity and for the current corps. He is a great person, but it would never work. There is no point in even bringing it up. Dann and Chris are fantastic. The corps had an off year as far as design goes. Deal with it! It happens! Learn from it and move on. The talent level and level of achievement were both far beyond anything I ever saw in my years. It's so funny to me... Almost every day I still think about my years with the corps and I draw on experiences I had. Those experiences have an impact on almost every day of my life. When people started talking about the Scouts placements this year, it made me think of what mine were... I couldn't remember them. I thought we were 11th place in 2008. I thought we were 12 place in 2010 and that we were 9th place in 2011... All of those were wrong. It doesn't matter though. It didn't matter then, and it doesn't matter now.

• Like 1

Sorry, but Scott Stewart would not be respected in the current activity and he would not be interested anyway.

In his words, he feels that Drum Corps died in the mid to late 90s and has pretty much divorced himself from anything to do with DCI.

And while I admire parts of his vision, he was too militant and inflexible with his philosophy. In 1997, he met with some of the top

Directors and they told him they wanted to make pushes toward what we have now, and they wanted him to get on board....he point blank

told them to eff off and go start another circuit. He told me this directly. While I don't care for the other Directors being so H^^^ bent

on changing for change sake, Scott could have been far more diplomatic and not burned so many bridges.

Madison has a more than capable Executive Director and Director. To get ride of them and try to re-hire Stewart would

effectively end the Madison Scouts, as Scott would sacrifice the Corps to uphold his principles. He will never budge

on his "philosophy" and anyone who tries to challenge him will get ridiculed.

By the way, Dinosaurs (and I am one), maybe it's time for you to have a beer, kick back, STFU and let

the staff move forward with the Scouts the way they feel is needed.

Good for Scott. The other Directors should have listened to him.

• Like 1