MADISON SCOUTS 2016

And its precisely this that has so many of us old farts losing interest in Drum Corps. Madison still gets my yearly donation and I did buy the online service this year but I'm pretty close to done. It's just not the entertaining in your face fun it used to be.

Yup.

i think this year's show is performed very well but don't really understand who the audience is for the show?. my wife is a big JCS fan and loves it, get's all the movie and musical references, but unfortunately in comparison to the 1999 show the ending seems doesn't seem to be doing the corps any favors, it references the best part of 1999 but then meanders into a medley of lesser known JCS music. It's performed well and I feel for my skinny scout brothers doing there best to put on a great show every night.

To be fair I feel the same way about many of the other shows (After a wonderful the wonderful Pines of Rome opening by the Cadets their show devolves into a musical menagerie that I quickly lose interest in, Same thing with Blue Knights. some interesting moments here and there, music that I kinda recognize, but whatever they are doing doesn't carry my attention or interest at all)

Overall I keep hearing from corps complaints about how expensive touring is and how hard it is "to keep up with the Jones's". but how much more money does it cost to be competitive? $3000 for a summer is quite a bit of money. If I were a young music ed student who wanted to be a band director I could easily see it as an important experience in my future education, but probably might only be able to march one summer. Also back in the day I marched drum corps because it was the least expensive of all the collegiate-graduate level music training programs that I could participate in. These days you can still attend Round Top or Aspen for under $1500 (if you pass the audition), and besides that a student could get weekly private lessons with any principal player from a major symphony for under $3000 for the summer. At the end of the day it's too bad that the price to participate in drum corps has more than doubled because at these prices there are many activities that a young musician prospective teacher might want to consider besides marching in a drum corps for more than one summer.

Edited by pbailey

i think this year's show is performed very well but don't really understand who the audience is for the show?. my wife is a big JCS fan and loves it, get's all the movie and musical references, but unfortunately in comparison to the 1999 show the ending seems doesn't doing the corps any favors, it references the best part of 1999 but then meanders into a medley of lesser known JCS music. It's performed well and I feel for my skinny scout brothers doing there best to put on a great show every night.

To be fair I feel the same way about many of the other shows (After a wonderful the wonderful Pines of Rome opening by the Cadets their show devolves into a musical menagerie that I quickly lose interest in, Same thing with Blue Knights. some interesting moments here and there, music that I kinda recognize, but whatever they are doing doesn't carry my attention or interest at all)

No one plays a complete song as it was originally written anymore. Shows are full of sound bites, excerpts, features, & chop & bop musical dittys. Drum corps composers want to show everyone how creative they are & what they can do with a piece of music with their ingenious arrangement. Keep it. PLEASE just play songs...complete songs & stop thinking that you can improve on the original, because you cant.

You must not have listened to Academy's Unchained Melody this year.

I've greatly enjoyed the Scouts this year, so I'm not sure what all the doom and gloom is about. They're performing on the same level as their fantastic show last year, or better. But, corps around them weren't stationary either. I don't think the organization is in any trouble, and I'm sure they'll come out swinging next year and the year after.

• Like 1

You must not have listened to Academy's Unchained Melody this year.

I've greatly enjoyed the Scouts this year, so I'm not sure what all the doom and gloom is about. They're performing on the same level as their fantastic show last year, or better. But, corps around them weren't stationary either. I don't think the organization is in any trouble, and I'm sure they'll come out swinging next year and the year after.

The Academy might just be my favorite show this year, & yes, Unchained Melody is great & close to the original. The drum corps activity needs a lot more of that.

• Like 1

I haven't really been paying attention to drum corps this summer, but when I saw this thread on page 3, I kinda figured I hadn't missed a lot of excitement.

• Like 1

I haven't really been paying attention to drum corps this summer, but when I saw this thread on page 3, I kinda figured I hadn't missed a lot of excitement.

You haven't missed a thing this year...The more things change, the more they stay the same! Scouts had made real advancement last summer into 8th...Now they're right back to seemingly fighting for a spot in the night show at Indie...Go figure!

You haven't missed a thing this year...The more things change, the more they stay the same! Scouts had made real advancement last summer into 8th...Now they're right back to seemingly fighting for a spot in the night show at Indie...Go figure!

To quote Mick Jagger - "You can't always get what you want."