MADISON SCOUTS 2016

Our "BAC group meeting" with the shrink is almost up, the next hour is available.

You are first in line. But the word on the street that the others in line can go take a lunch break, because you are probably going to be needing more hugs from the shrink, and more kleenex time.

This is great and positive. But, out of curiosity what would it take for the scouts to come out of the gate swinging with a good, strong show like say for example the Cavaliers or SCV?

I stand by my statement from earlier in the thread that I think it's a talent issue more than a design issue. I just don't think they're drawing the talent they used to. .

I seriously doubt it. The marcher talent is not better in Academy than in Madison.... not in the Blue Stars either, imo.

If we gave the Madison MM talent to Academy, and Academy MM talent to Madison, would the scores be about the same ? I submit.. it would not be close. If Madison had Academy MM talent they would be buried on the score sheets with Madison's demand in their show alone. They would not be able to handle the demand. If Madison had Academy's snare line, Madison would get buried in percussion alone.... positively buried in percussion ( with Academy's percussion line. ). Academy, with Madison's MM talent however, would be in the middle of the Top 12, if not higher. Its mostly show design, imo. Madison does not have a marcher talent deficiency, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

I seriously doubt it. The marcher talent is not better in Academy than in Madison.... not in the Blue Stars either, imo.

If we gave the Madison MM talent to Academy, and Academy MM talent to Madison, would the scores be about the same ? I submit.. it would not be close. If Madison had Academy MM talent they would be buried on the score sheets with Madison's demand in their show alone. They would not be able to handle the demand. If Madison had Academy's snare line, Madison would get buried in percussion alone.... positively buried in percussion ( with Academy's percussion line. ). Academy, with Madison's MM talent however, would be in the middle of the Top 12, if not higher. Its mostly show design, imo. Madison does not have a marcher talent deficiency, imo.

I concur with this. Though I will say that Academy's quality has consistently improved each year. But in the end, it goes back to show design.

• Like 3

Hey they went up 2 points last night. Still in 12th but that's a pretty good jump right?

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 1

This is great and positive. But, out of curiosity what would it take for the scouts to come out of the gate swinging with a good, strong show like say for example the Cavaliers or SCV?

A change in philosophy. Cavaliers did it this year by liquidating most of their old program design staff (including a HOF program coordinator) and starting with new people who'd shown success at the WGI and BOA level, but who still understood the basic elements of the corps' persona. I imagine some of their alums weren't happy about the change in look this year, but it seems to be effective on the field, and sent a message to the judging community that they're looking forward.

SCV has committed to a great design team who's been working together for a long time. Musically and visually, they know that the level of design work gets them benefit of the doubt long enough for the staff to clean and fix whatever isn't working early season.

Scouts and Boston are both kind of stuck in the situation where they have to try to be "traditional" for their alums and Board, while competing in an activity where cutting edge is increasingly the coin of the realm. Both shows this year are too cautious in design, which isn't going to make up in GE what they're going to lose in execution because of the less-experienced memberships.

Scouts and Boston are both kind of stuck in the situation where they have to try to be "traditional" for their alums and Board, while competing in an activity where cutting edge is increasingly the coin of the realm. Both shows this year are too cautious in design, which isn't going to make up in GE what they're going to lose in execution because of the less-experienced memberships.

Academy rose up in placement by doing a fun show, with an easy to understand theme. There was nothing " cutting edge ", nor risky, nor daring in the show design construct at all. Just the opposite, imo. Its got " traditional " written all over it. Far more of a traditional " show from Academy than a couple of years ago, imo. Had Academy's show been done by Corps like Madison, Troopers, Boston it would be called " cheesy ",in many quarters, I submit. But Academy is popular because the show is a fun one from them. DCI needs more fresh faces in Finals, and judges ( with audience backing ) are not immune to such. Madison, Boston, Troopers shows this season are not " traditional ". Boston's " Animal Farm " production was about as daring and as risky as could be, imo. Nothing in the least " safe " or " cautious " about it. But it likewise didn't get them anywhere near where they wanted to be, placement wise. So.... maybe a highly entertaining, " safe " show that is not very demanding, complex, or cutting edge but is full of fun and campiness IS the way to go. BK had a fun, entertaining show that was not all that " risky" or " daring " in its construct the last 2 seasons, and rose in placements as a result. BK this season however went with a dark, foreboding, complex and " risky " show... very " non cautious "., and a very demanding show to execute, to boot... but has it worked for them this season ? If so, I don't see it this season for them either.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

You are first in line. But the word on the street that the others in line can go take a lunch break, because you are probably going to be needing more hugs from the shrink, and more kleenex time.

I'll be fine unless those who really spun this years staff, show, placement potential, etc. come within range of my Glock 23!