MADISON SCOUTS 2016

Academy rose up in placement by doing a fun show, with an easy to understand theme. There was nothing " cutting edge ", nor risky, nor daring in the show design construct at all. Just the opposite, imo. Its got " traditional " written all over it. Far more of a traditional " show from Academy than a couple of yeaes ago, imo Had Academy's show been done by Corps like Madison, Troopers, Boston it would be called " cheesy ",in many quarters, I submit. But Academy is popular because the show is fun, and DCI needs more fresh faces in Finals, and judges are not immune to such. Madison, Boston, Troopers shows this season are not " traditional ". Boston's " Animal Farm " production was about as daring and as risky as could be, imo. Nothing in the least " safe " or " cautious " about it. But it likewise didn't get them anywhere near where they wanted to be, placement wise. So.... maybe a highly entertaining, " safe " show that is not very demanding, complex, or cutting edge but is full of fun and campiness IS the way to go. BK had a fun, entertaining show that was not all that " risky" or " daring " in its construct the last 2 seasons, and rose in placements as a result. BK this season however went with a dark, foreboding, complex and " risky " show... very " non cautious ".... but has it worked for them this season ? If so, I don't see it this season for them either.

Exactly. And it's why I reject the fact that the Scouts can't be the Scouts and still be successful. All this talk about "modernizing" or whatever is just that; talk. They could do everything they thought was cutting edge or modern and still be in the same position they are in, so that's all a non-sequitur, IMO.
  • Like 1

Exactly. And it's why I reject the fact that the Scouts can't be the Scouts and still be successful. All this talk about "modernizing" or whatever is just that; talk. They could do everything they thought was cutting edge or modern and still be in the same position they are in, so that's all a non-sequitur, IMO.

They can be. The sound is there. I think the total package is not fluid yet, where Academy and Xmen's are.

Our "BAC group meeting" with the shrink is almost up, the next hour is available.

Lol. Some of us don't need group therapy, we need full out Nurse Ratched treatment!

Yes.

Stuff is being changed. Lots to clean.

I had to check and see if I was accidentally in the Cadets thread.

• Like 4

The best thing anyone can do right now, if you're worried about Madison (or any other corps you might be worried about, but this is the Madison thread...) is to give them money at drumcorpschallenge.com. Historically, Madison receives less in donations than almost all top twelve corps. Chris Komnick and his crew are wizards at stretching their dollars, but more financial resources would help them tremendously.

• Like 1

Finally saw the show in San Antonio, and I was chiefly disappointed at just how similar it was to the '99 show. I'm still rooting for them to do well regardless, and I'm sure they'll reload next year. Still feeling very proud and hopeful for this group of guys.

Mike

• Like 1

Everyone has a better product than last year. When you look at the entire field, it's easy to see why this is a 12th-10th production. And, it has nothing to do with the financial status of the corps! It was a huge risk to revisit JCSS no matter what kind of spin they try to put on it (Judas). The 99' show was a classic, no holds barred, Madison Monster!...This version is quite, mehhh, very confusing, with one goosebumps moment. Facts are facts and the leadership has taken the upward momentum of last year and back stepped 3-4 places. Furthermore, folks shouldn't waste their time hoping and praying for leap frog momentum with comments like, "be positive, there's still time"...Then, you simply don't understand this activity today. You have to come out of the gates with dynamite and a well structured plan/product for upward momentum. Catch-up doesn't work in today's game. I just hope the Men of Madison are having an enjoyable summer.

Cadets this year are playing catch-up this year and it seems to be working ok at this point in the season. By the end of the season, I don't know...

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

I second this. I would guess that if you had not seen SCV since '86 and saw them on the field this year without uniforms and branding, you'd immediately recognize them as SCV. And yet the corps is competitively relevant in 2016. So, the Scouts can certainly retain their "soul" and move forward. The Cadets are going through their own searching for their place in the changing landscape, since the judging is now biased toward increasingly subjective, visual GE qualities. I think someday we'll look back at this period as a phase, and that the pendulum will swing back to reward the best of visual show design while re-instating higher reward for musical and marching complexity, and simultaneous demand, difficulty and execution.

Edited by GlenI

Academy rose up in placement by doing a fun show, with an easy to understand theme. There was nothing " cutting edge ", nor risky, nor daring in the show design construct at all. Just the opposite, imo. Its got " traditional " written all over it. Far more of a traditional " show from Academy than a couple of years ago, imo. Had Academy's show been done by Corps like Madison, Troopers, Boston it would be called " cheesy ",in many quarters, I submit. But Academy is popular because the show is a fun one from them. DCI needs more fresh faces in Finals, and judges ( with audience backing ) are not immune to such. Madison, Boston, Troopers shows this season are not " traditional ". Boston's " Animal Farm " production was about as daring and as risky as could be, imo. Nothing in the least " safe " or " cautious " about it. But it likewise didn't get them anywhere near where they wanted to be, placement wise. So.... maybe a highly entertaining, " safe " show that is not very demanding, complex, or cutting edge but is full of fun and campiness IS the way to go. BK had a fun, entertaining show that was not all that " risky" or " daring " in its construct the last 2 seasons, and rose in placements as a result. BK this season however went with a dark, foreboding, complex and " risky " show... very " non cautious "., and a very demanding show to execute, to boot... but has it worked for them this season ? If so, I don't see it this season for them either.

Academy's show is not traditional. Visually, it's very modern. Musically, the arrangements are modern. Yes, it's a fun theme, but it's not quite VK.

Too many other Academy insults to comment on here. That show is not "not very demanding, complex or cutting edge".

I find it's interesting to see so many Madison and Boston people coming out of the woodwork to criticize as show that is finally beating their beloved corps.

Whatever Academy is doing, they're doing it well enough to be where they are. No, they don't have a voice-over for all of their show. No they don't have an electric guitar.

Yes, they have chairs and props. We've got a couple more weeks to go this season.

Can we wait and see what happens before attacking Academy because they're presently beating both Madison and BAC?

Right now it just comes across and defensive sour grapes and justifications for why Academy is beating these beloved corps.

Maybe the show designers for these two corps, with their superior talent, could have given their members a better vehicle to perform?

Ta!

• Like 5