MADISON SCOUTS 2016

Academy's show is not traditional. Visually, it's very modern. Musically, the arrangements are modern. Yes, it's a fun theme, but it's not quite VK.

Too many other Academy insults to comment on here. That show is not "not very demanding, complex or cutting edge".

I find it's interesting to see so many Madison and Boston people coming out of the woodwork to criticize as show that is finally beating their beloved corps.

Whatever Academy is doing, they're doing it well enough to be where they are. No, they don't have a voice-over for all of their show. No they don't have an electric guitar.

Yes, they have chairs and props. We've got a couple more weeks to go this season.

Can we wait and see what happens before attacking Academy because they're presently beating both Madison and BAC?

Right now it just comes across and defensive sour grapes and justifications for why Academy is beating these beloved corps.

Maybe the show designers for these two corps, with their superior talent, could have given their members a better vehicle to perform?

Ta!

I think Academy has a great show. But, from a demand level, I do not think it is up to the Scouts or BACs demand. However, I think from a design standpoint, it is a better show than Scouts and BAC. I would rather see a less demanding show, that is better designed, than a more demanding show that isn't as well designed. I think Scouts show is better designed than BACs, and I can see Scouts do have more room to grow than Academy. That's a fact. It's not a knock on Academy. It will be interesting to see where they all land, but I would not be shocked to see Academy 10th or 11th at finals.

• Like 1

I think Academy has a great show. But, from a demand level, I do not think it is up to the Scouts or BACs demand. However, I think from a design standpoint, it is a better show than Scouts and BAC. I would rather see a less demanding show, that is better designed, than a more demanding show that isn't as well designed. I think Scouts show is better designed than BACs, and I can see Scouts do have more room to grow than Academy. That's a fact. It's not a knock on Academy. It will be interesting to see where they all land, but I would not be shocked to see Academy 10th or 11th at finals.

I believe that contending with those chairs in time and all that is pretty demanding.

I find the talent level comments that I've read from some people to be not so classy.

I appreciate your comments and find them much classier than other comments.

• Like 2

I believe that contending with those chairs in time and all that is pretty demanding.

I find the talent level comments that I've read from some people to be not so classy.

I appreciate your comments and find them much classier than other comments.

I get where you are coming from. I love their show. To me, it is one of the most entertaining shows of the year. I understand, in a way, where others are coming from. I think it's just disappointment. I am, myself, shocked. When I saw Madison before the season started, I thought this show was going to be in the running for 6th. I really can't even put my finger on what's happened. I am just shocked, honestly.

I do think Academy's staff is genius. They designed a very well designed show, that works within the limitations of the members talent (I mean let's be real, they don't have the talent of the top tier corps). It has paid off. If their objective was to make finals, they very well may need to achieve it.

Madison, IMO, needs a complete and total overhaul. They've got to stop revisiting shows that were successful in the past. I know we haven't seen that every year. I feel like if I fell asleep in 1989 and woke up today, and watched a uniformless Bloo or Crown, I would think Bloo must be Madison and Crown must be Regiment. I think both Regiment and Madison are suffering from the same problem - trying to remain true to their past. Time's have changed, and DCI has changed, it is time to move on and evolve.

I hope Madison can somehow pull a miracle out of their hats and right this ship in the next couple of weeks, but I am not holding my breath.

. I think both Regiment and Madison are suffering from the same problem - trying to remain true to their past.

I don't know what this means.

Madison has " evolved " around the moon, imo. The last couple of years shows are " modern " enough for my tastes, anyway. If anything Madison has perhaps gone too Glam, TOO modern, etc. Whats it got them ? ( Madison, is by no means the only Corps perhaps suffering from TOO much of this " going Mod biz " stuff,.. whatever the heck " mod " means. )

Edited by BRASSO

I get where you are coming from. I love their show. To me, it is one of the most entertaining shows of the year. I understand, in a way, where others are coming from. I think it's just disappointment. I am, myself, shocked. When I saw Madison before the season started, I thought this show was going to be in the running for 6th. I really can't even put my finger on what's happened. I am just shocked, honestly.

I do think Academy's staff is genius. They designed a very well designed show, that works within the limitations of the members talent (I mean let's be real, they don't have the talent of the top tier corps). It has paid off. If their objective was to make finals, they very well may need to achieve it.

Madison, IMO, needs a complete and total overhaul. They've got to stop revisiting shows that were successful in the past. I know we haven't seen that every year. I feel like if I fell asleep in 1989 and woke up today, and watched a uniformless Bloo or Crown, I would think Bloo must be Madison and Crown must be Regiment. I think both Regiment and Madison are suffering from the same problem - trying to remain true to their past. Time's have changed, and DCI has changed, it is time to move on and evolve.

I hope Madison can somehow pull a miracle out of their hats and right this ship in the next couple of weeks, but I am not holding my breath.

I love Madison, and I like this show. I am a little surprised that they're scoring this low and in this position too. In the past, when they have been in this position, you could see it on the field. This year for me, not so much. They play well, they march well, they spin well.

You say that Academy does not have top tier talent. Does Madison have top tier talent?

I feel that they can revisit whatever they want, but the design needs to match what is being looked for today.

As I continually say, it's not the what, it's the how. Any corps can play anything as long as it's performed well and designed well.

Madison seems to have a decently meaty show that is performed pretty well. I don't know what the judges are saying is wrong with the show, but I would guess it's flow and clarity.

For me, "Jonas" isn't on the same level as "JCSS" and I can not describe why it isn't.

The prop in the back of the field doesn't really add anything for me; what they do with it much of the time actually detracts from the show. Trombone solo all the way back there?

Maybe the judges want more props, and more props integrated into the show? It seems like everyone above them have integrated them into their show much more than Madison.

I dunno.

I don't know what this means.

Madison has " evolved " around the moon, imo. The last couple of years shows are " modern " enough for my tastes, anyway. If anything Madison has perhaps gone too Glam, TOO modern, etc. Whats it got them ? ( Madison, is by no means the only Corps perhaps suffering from TOO much of this " going Mod biz " stuff,.. whatever the heck " mod " means. )

I don't really see that they have grasped modern drum corps. Personally, I am more a fan of Regiment and Scouts this year than anyone else, with the exception of SCV (who has a miraculous show this year), but I don't think Regiment and Scouts are playing as well to the sheets as other corps.

What we've seen from both Madison and Regiment is doing musical numbers they have done in the past, and doing them not as well as those past iterations. They both need a fresh approach IMO.

I think Madison has the content to really pass people up, but I'm not sure it will happen. Crossmen have a fantastic show this year, and I'm not the least big surprised to see them doing so well.

Madison needs to shake things up and do something really daring....perform a techno version

of 2001 a Space Odessy while half the Corps wearing a Lime Green G-String like Borat wears

and the other half wearing Daipers to portray the evolving/de-evolving man at the end of the movie,

Also the iopener could be "Instantly" by STS9.

The difference between Madison, BaC and Acadeny is that Acadeny's show flows so much better- had a clear start middle and end and takes you on that journey. Scouts and BAC are struggling with this this year IMHO

• Like 2

The difference between Madison, BaC and Acadeny is that Acadeny's show flows so much better- had a clear start middle and end and takes you on that journey. Scouts and BAC are struggling with this this year IMHO

I would agree with this. I just wish we would move away from themes. Academy tells there story very well in 11:30, better than most corps, but I miss the days were it was more like a concert, with just good marching, playing and spinning.

Compare Madison with Bluecoats. Who has embraced modern drum corps and who has evolve more? The answer couldn't more obviously be Bluecoats. That said, I do like Madison's show better, but their show is not sheet friendly.

• Like 1

Madison needs to shake things up and do something really daring....perform a techno version

of 2001 a Space Odessy while half the Corps wearing a Lime Green G-String like Borat wears

and the other half wearing Daipers to portray the evolving/de-evolving man at the end of the movie,

Also the iopener could be "Instantly" by STS9.

Or just go back to themes like 95-96 and blow people's faces off.

• Like 2