MADISON SCOUTS 2016

When the BAC pit girl video went viral, someone speculated (in a post that would have made Glenn Beck proud) that Karma, the deity of your choice, the judges, or whatever one needs to get them by, would make sure that BAC was in finals because DCI needed BAC in to get more viral video hits.

Depends on what you believe in, I suppose. It sucks fighting from the 13th spot. Signed, a Trooper mark

Well, I'm no judge, but I'm telling you - Madison finishes 13th on Friday night. It's done. I can see this train coming from a mile away.

Local members? The Scouts typically spend less than 48 hours in Madison in a season. Crusaders only go to the Boston area for spring training.....there is no LOCAL in World Class any longer. (Except Pioneer)

Exactly. Why have Drum Corps abandoned their home cities? No wonder they don't get much local support anymore.

Honestly I would like to see DCI pass a rule that requires all Drum Corps to hold camps & practices in their hometown.

Edited by FlamMan

Exactly. Why have Drum Corps abandoned their home cities? No wonder they don't get much local support anymore.

It's not like it was back in the 90s, 80s and earlier. It's a diminishing activity - less corps, less members, less crowds. When I was in high school, everyone knew who our local corps was and that I was in it. Not only that, many knew other corps. I was wearing an SCV sweatshirt one day, and a friend of mine, a basketball star mind you, walked into class, pointed at me, laughed (jokingly) and said, "You wish you could be as good as them." Joke was on him because we beat them that summer. No, honestly, if you're not a band geek (and I saw that lovingly, because I was one) you don't have a clue what drum corps is.

Other than Star, all of the corps that went by the way-side did so under their own accord. Whether it was due to gross, and I mean gross financial mismanagement or due to substandard performance like this stellar example of DCI greatness: June 29, 1987; DCI show in Terre Haute, IN; Prairie Fire scored a 5.9; that is correct, 5.9. Yep; I sure was extremely sad when that fine example of DCI greatness folded I tell ya!!! Sorry, but unless we are talking Star, all other corps for one reason or another ‘deserved’ to go away.

Do you believe that the US auto makers & the banks "deserved to go away" too?

NO Corps deserved to fold. There were many circumstances, that with many of them, you nor I know nothing about. Such as Suncoast's sponsor (Circle K) backing out because they wouldn't skip '86 finals to perform at a ####### company picnic. Most corps aren't/weren't as fortunate as BD, SCV, Cadets, and company. That's a big reason why people unjustly hated Star - because they had money. People blamed them for 27th folding, because somehow the absurd idea was flying around that if 27 made '86 finals they wouldn't have folded. Because if Star hadn't been born, 27 would have been 12th in '85 and '86. Few knew that Star actually helped other corps, because Star didn't parade around letting everyone know. THE AUDIENCE is why Star left. They way they were treated was just disgusting. So please stop talking about things you know nothing about.

I have many thoughts on this but really don't feel like wasting the effort on Stu.

It's not like it was back in the 90s, 80s and earlier. It's a diminishing activity - less corps, less members, less crowds. When I was in high school, everyone knew who our local corps was and that I was in it. Not only that, many knew other corps. I was wearing an SCV sweatshirt one day, and a friend of mine, a basketball star mind you, walked into class, pointed at me, laughed (jokingly) and said, "You wish you could be as good as them." Joke was on him because we beat them that summer. No, honestly, if you're not a band geek (and I saw that lovingly, because I was one) you don't have a clue what drum corps is.

Sad but true.

Well, I'm no judge, but I'm telling you - Madison finishes 13th on Friday night. It's done. I can see this train coming from a mile away.

I've been waiting for that late-season Boston surge to happen (it happens every year it seems for them and BK), and I think that the Allentown show finally confirmed it's happening again this year.

Edited by Tupid_06

Suncoast's sponsor (Circle K) backing out because they wouldn't skip '86 finals to perform at a ####### company picnic.

The Board, or Corps Director, at Suncoast were responsible for looking out for the best interest of Suncoast (especially the financial solvency of the corps), and if your claim is true, they failed to negotiate a solid contract with Circle-K. That was the problem; not Circle-K who was, and should, look out for the best interest of Circle-K.

Most corps aren't/weren't as fortunate as BD, SCV, Cadets, and company.

BD et al are not fortunate, they are smart. They see this as what it is, a business; a business that supports youth performing groups, but a business first and foremost. If a corps in the 21st century, especially any reaching for WC top 12 status, fails to run as a business, they will eventually fail.

So please stop talking about things you know nothing about.

I have not written about astro-physics, which I know nothing about. But as a person who has been involved on the Administrative and Board side of solvent youth organizations I think that I know a little about the subject of organizational stability and survival.

Edited by Stu

Everybody calm down. I'm ending my lifelong boycott of indoor drum corps to ensure the Scouts make the top 12.