MADISON SCOUTS 2016

'Maybe Scouts show just hasn't hit the mark from a design and performance perspective this year?'

I think MS is experiencing, in part, the same same thing that is plaguing BAC. It's tough to tell a story. Even one which some of us know well. Some people know JCS from the movie, some from the play, some from the Gospels, and some ... not at all. And what MS is doing is having a tough time communicating to all parts of the audience. Complicating this is the fact that Judas is not a sympathetic character. Both the play and movie can make him somewhat understandable (the Gospels, not so much). But 11 minutes is a very short time, unless the audience "knows already" what is going on, it is a tough task. Remember, JCS is from the 1970s. I know there have been revivals of the stage version, but I question how well the story is known.

I think the presentation of the story is OK, I'd like to hear more and probably fewer songs. I'm glad now we can find Judas and he does not blend in as he has most of the season. And I think the MM are doing some very strong work. My concern is the design, and that the designers did not seem to consider the difficulty of telling the story they were attempting to tell.

• Like 1

'Maybe Scouts show just hasn't hit the mark from a design and performance perspective this year?'

I think MS is experiencing, in part, the same same thing that is plaguing BAC. It's tough to tell a story. Even one which some of us know well. Some people know JCS from the movie, some from the play, some from the Gospels, and some ... not at all. And what MS is doing is having a tough time communicating to all parts of the audience. Complicating this is the fact that Judas is not a sympathetic character. Both the play and movie can make him somewhat understandable (the Gospels, not so much). But 11 minutes is a very short time, unless the audience "knows already" what is going on, it is a tough task. Remember, JCS is from the 1970s. I know there have been revivals of the stage version, but I question how well the story is known.

I think the presentation of the story is OK, I'd like to hear more and probably fewer songs. I'm glad now we can find Judas and he does not blend in as he has most of the season. And I think the MM are doing some very strong work. My concern is the design, and that the designers did not seem to consider the difficulty of telling the story they were attempting to tell.

I agree with this, but how much judging is design vs execution. It seems in today's world design is 60% of the battle. I do agree with your assessment though.

I was guilty of preseason hype too. When I saw them in early June I thought for sure they'd be fighting for 6th (didn't plan on Cavies being so remarkable). It's a disappointment, but hopefully a learning experience for the staff.

• Like 1

I disagree. It is not tough to tell a story in 11 minutes. For one crown does it every year, Blue Stars are doing it this year with the stages of a dream, Blue Devils have based it off the Tempest, and the academy gives you 11 minutes of straight up story telling. Execution in design is the problem because I know the Gospel stories but not JCS and have problems following. Last year they told the story and they told it well which gave them great scores. I haven't seen it live yet so I can't really say that they don't force you to look where you need to but the livestreams have missed alot of details. I think BD is the best at showing you exactly where your attention needs to be the whole time. I wish them the best this week because finals feels weird without the Madison scouts.

I really don't think another staff overhaul is the thing they need after one off year.

They had a big hit in 2015. Look at what worked with that one, look at what didn't this year, and regroup.

They have a helluva staff together. I think firing everyone and starting over again after 2 years and one miss is not a good idea.

Edited by DrumManTx

If the Scouts don't make finals this year, does anyone think that the powers to be will consider that the Indana experiment is not working? The average placement is worse now than when they were based out of Madison.

I disagree. It is not tough to tell a story in 11 minutes. For one crown does it every year, Blue Stars are doing it this year with the stages of a dream, Blue Devils have based it off the Tempest, and the academy gives you 11 minutes of straight up story telling. Execution in design is the problem because I know the Gospel stories but not JCS and have problems following. Last year they told the story and they told it well which gave them great scores. I haven't seen it live yet so I can't really say that they don't force you to look where you need to but the livestreams have missed alot of details. I think BD is the best at showing you exactly where your attention needs to be the whole time. I wish them the best this week because finals feels weird without the Madison scouts.

I agree with you about Blue Stars and Academy. I don't think Blue Devils are telling the story of the Tempest, but we may agree to differ on this. I think Cadets, BAC and Scouts are trying and failing for various reasons. Maybe they are achieving some success, but I'd guess each of these corps and their design teams are not succeeding as much as they might have wished this year. This is not at all to question what the MMs are doing out there. It looks like they are giving it their all and there is success and fulfillment in that.

It may be easy, but it looks to me as if the "story tellers" this year are batting about .500. In baseball that would be great.