MADISON SCOUTS 2016

Here is something. DCI has basically turned into marching band just about. The show designs are heading that way. It's just awful to see what used to be so great turn into what a lot of people used to do in their high school days.

Who did things like Bluecoats this year in their high school days?

• Like 3

I disagree. It is not tough to tell a story in 11 minutes. For one crown does it every year, Blue Stars are doing it this year with the stages of a dream, Blue Devils have based it off the Tempest, and the academy gives you 11 minutes of straight up story telling. Execution in design is the problem because I know the Gospel stories but not JCS and have problems following. Last year they told the story and they told it well which gave them great scores. I haven't seen it live yet so I can't really say that they don't force you to look where you need to but the livestreams have missed alot of details. I think BD is the best at showing you exactly where your attention needs to be the whole time. I wish them the best this week because finals feels weird without the Madison scouts.

While I agree that those you have mentioned have better designed shows than Madison, NO ONE in the audience would have a clue what their shows are about without reading a synopsis. Geez, there's like a multi-page synopsis in the Blue Stars thread. If they had just named their darn show "The Dream" I would have at least known it was about dream. It's just gotten all so pretentious. An ounce of pretension is worth a pound of manure.

This whole theme and story movement is just so hooky, IMO. No one does a good job telling a story in DCI. A fan should not have to do research to enjoy a show. A fan should just be able to show up, sit back, relax and listen to good music accompanied by good visuals. It's just gotten out of hand. So no, no one is good at telling a story. I do agree they have much better designed shows - that is the issue - not the story.

Edited by henry7184

The Indiana experiment is clearly working of audition numbers are truly as high as the directors say they are. Where the corps had rehearsals has absolutely nothing to do with the design and execution of the show

• Like 1

The Indiana experiment is clearly working of audition numbers are truly as high as the directors say they are. Where the corps had rehearsals has absolutely nothing to do with the design and execution of the show

Also they do auditions online before bringing them to Indy. It's like a Skype session and if good enough you get called back so they can get anyone anywhere.
  • Like 1

Exactly. I would guess very few of the membership this year is from Wisconsin.

Texas has been the largest contributor for many years. Even back when I marched. Likely due to so many great programs in that state. I don't know the rest of the stats but I do know that stat. Many of them to the same schools.

Sadly, gone are the days when bands imitated what drum corps were doing. Now the DCI model is to use "cool" concepts seen in BOA and WGI.

Follow the money.

I would bet that next year's storyline will be so simple that even an imbecile could understand it.

While I agree that those you have mentioned have better designed shows than Madison, NO ONE in the audience would have a clue what their shows are about without reading a synopsis. Geez, there's like a multi-page synopsis in the Blue Stars thread. If they had just named their darn show "The Dream" I would have at least known it was about dream. It's just gotten all so pretentious. An ounce of pretension is worth a pound of manure.

This whole theme and story movement is just so hooky, IMO. No one does a good job telling a story in DCI. A fan should not have to do research to enjoy a show. A fan should just be able to show up, sit back, relax and listen to good music accompanied by good visuals. It's just gotten out of hand. So no, no one is good at telling a story. I do agree they have much better designed shows - that is the issue - not the story.

Dude Le Reve is a Cirque show. It's an actual name, the Blue Stars didn't name it that just for kicks. This is just common knowledge

• Like 3