MADISON SCOUTS 2016

Though Le Reve in Vegas had Cirque qualities, I do not recall that the Wynn resort show was a Cirque produced-show like O or Ka.

My favorite part of Madison this season is the appearance of The Last Supper by 12 guard members.

Dude Le Reve is a Cirque show. It's an actual name, the Blue Stars didn't name it that just for kicks. This is just common knowledge

Dude, I understand that. You understand that. But, it is NOT common knowledge - not even close. You and I know that because we dive much more into the activity than the average showgoer. I can guarantee the average fan has no clue what "Le Reve" means. You'd only know what it means if you know Cirque du Soleil or speak French. I didn't even know what the heck it was because I had never heard of "Le Reve." While I love theater, I don't care about Cirque, nor do I pay attention to their productions - and with that, I'm probably in the vast majority of people.

Edited by henry7184

To answer a few things, DCI is a totally unpredictable competition. You can't base a corps' success off of what they placed the previous year. Since this is the Scouts thread, I'll use them as an example. 2014 they placed 11th and everyone thought that 2015 was going to be a bust, they placed 8th. After 2015, several thought that they were going to be in the fight for 6th-8th in 2016, obviously that's not the case. Why are they placing so low? No clue, there could be several possibilities. Personally, I believe that the biggest reason for why they are in the place they are is because of the corps being fairly new in membership, as I have stated in a comment a few days ago or so. Before people get rallied up, it's not because they're in Indiana instead of Wisconsin. It's mostly due to the fact that the members that didn't age out but didn't come back did so because of college or opportunities to further their future careers. The staff over there is great and so is the show design, in my opinion it's a very entertaining show. Now I'm not knocking the members down at all, they are doing their best and working very hard. I'd love to see them at finals but if for some reason they don't make it, don't sweat it, there's always next year. The important thing as a member is to know that no matter what score you get, you'll always have your brothers by your side.

• Like 1

To answer a few things, DCI is a totally unpredictable competition. You can't base a corps' success off of what they placed the previous year. Since this is the Scouts thread, I'll use them as an example. 2014 they placed 11th and everyone thought that 2015 was going to be a bust, they placed 8th. After 2015, several thought that they were going to be in the fight for 6th-8th in 2016, obviously that's not the case. Why are they placing so low? No clue, there could be several possibilities. Personally, I believe that the biggest reason for why they are in the place they are is because of the corps being fairly new in membership, as I have stated in a comment a few days ago or so. Before people get rallied up, it's not because they're in Indiana instead of Wisconsin. It's mostly due to the fact that the members that didn't age out but didn't come back did so because of college or opportunities to further their future careers. The staff over there is great and so is the show design, in my opinion it's a very entertaining show. Now I'm not knocking the members down at all, they are doing their best and working very hard. I'd love to see them at finals but if for some reason they don't make it, don't sweat it, there's always next year. The important thing as a member is to know that no matter what score you get, you'll always have your brothers by your side.

I totally agree with most of what you said. However, do we know those that didn't age out and did not return didn't leave to other corps? I do also think this show design leaves something to be desired. Last year's was better. The reason I thought they were going to be 6-8 is because I feel they started with a better product this year than last. However, last year's evolved into a great product over the course of the season. I don't really feel this year's show evolved much at at..

I totally agree with most of what you said. However, do we know those that didn't age out and did not return didn't leave to other corps? I do also think this show design leaves something to be desired. Last year's was better. The reason I thought they were going to be 6-8 is because I feel they started with a better product this year than last. However, last year's evolved into a great product over the course of the season. I don't really feel this year's show evolved much at at..

I know several of marching age who took a season or two off due to finances and internships, or jobs with bands that have fairly intense summer schedules. They do intend to march their age out there, but needed the summer for other things.

I'm not saying some didn't go elsewhere, because there's always a few who do. And there's some who came over from corps in the top 12. Some from those who placed higher, some who placed lower last season.

This generation is very different than when i marched, but the retention rate is still reasonably high from my understanding of talks with those in the admin side.

Edited by C.Holland

Ironic that school starts August 1st.

some school's are ok with missing some of it. As long as there's a plan, and a schedule laid out ahead of time, it's usually ok.

But they practice in IN as its cheaper to fly there and rehearsal space is more abundant and cheaper than compared with Madison.

some school's are ok with missing some of it. As long as there's a plan, and a schedule laid out ahead of time, it's usually ok.

But they practice in IN as its cheaper to fly there and rehearsal space is more abundant and cheaper than compared with Madison.

You're right. I guess it's not any different than kids having to make arrangements to be in spring training before the school year ends. One thing for sure, schools being back on August 1 has had to create some logistical challenges for DCI here in Indianapolis .

You're right. I guess it's not any different than kids having to make arrangements to be in spring training before the school year ends. One thing for sure, schools being back on August 1 has had to create some logistical challenges for DCI here in Indianapolis .

It's not just DCI. My co-worker's niece is a nationally ranked fastpitch player. Her team just spent last week in California at a national championship tournament... the same week she was supposed to start 10th grade. She had to get special permission to miss the first day of school or she would have been expelled.