MADISON SCOUTS 2016

I had a friend who was there last night and said they were awesome. He was surprised they placed so low. He's not a judge, and I'm not a judge, but I will say BAC is in, Madison is out. Just watch...it's going to happen.

Since you've given up on the 2016 corps, why bother posting in here?

I on the other hand haven't, and won't regardless of what happens.

Granted, I'm optimistic, maybe to some as a fault, but my brothers are performing tonight, and they'll be great! And they ARE better than groups multiple places scoring higher than them, and it will be a real shame if the 11 green shirts and fans that base their opinion on those numbers don't see that.

Btw henry7184-that last statement is not geared towards you, you have been supportive most of the season, and I know your comments are your own opinion.

Henry7184- I'm not discounting what you are saying at all. I remember a time when we were competing against those in top 4-5 not too awful long ago. I'm out of the loop and far removed from the corps inner workings. It just feels like much more distinct foresight is needed in design to be able to "play the game" as it stands now. It is winterguard on a football field for better or worse ( another discussion ). We need to embrace that better ( and I dont' mean just adding electronics or violins or trombones or tarps ). I mean we need to think as far outside our comfort level as we can to come up with the same type of ideas as a BD or Coats; and then try to figure out how we can make it Madison.

Last night was the first time I saw any show this year other than snippets on youtube. What I saw was showmanship, wailing/ screaming high brass, power and finesse from the drumline and attitude from the guard. In essence- what attracted me to Madison since 1987. All of this wrapped up in an exciting - dare I say avant garde- package!! Thing is...it wasn't Madison... it was coming out of Canton, OH. This is just one example of how far behind Madison comes across from a design and overall package standpoint.

you never know until it all comes out in the wash.

it makes for a great story though.

Thing is...it wasn't Madison... it was coming out of Canton, OH. This is just one example of how far behind Madison comes across from a design and overall package standpoint.

Watching Bluecoats again today, it occurred to me that this show is what the Blue Devils staff might have come up with if they were still playing jazz.

I agree, though - Madison does need to rethink what it means to be a Scout - at least in show / program terms. Much like Cavaliers did. It doesn't mean you have to blow up the whole corps, but you do have to ride the forward edge of the wave.

Mike (sorry for the mixed metaphors)

• Like 1

Tes- take of your tinted sunglasses and don't presume to know me or accuse me of giving up. You don't know so don't presume you can pass judgement. What I DO know is that your same old schtick of "everything is going to be fine" and/or "if you don't embrace this year's corps then you are not a good brother" --- or any year's corps for that matter as you've been spouting the same stuff for at least 2 years now--- is tired. That is all I will say to you regarding your comment. I won't get into a public pissing match with another brother. That being said- make no mistake I've earned the right to cheer as loudly as possible for my brothers but to also be - as all have who have worn the superman suit - critical.

I - for a long time- as one of those dinosaurs people talk about on here. I don't care for everything going on now; however, I'm enjoying enough of the things to come back. I also come back b/c of friendships and brotherhood I developed. What I saw last night in the theater ( and by all accounts throughout the season ) here in VA made me very sad. I saw at least two corps "out Madison" the Madison Scouts. That is just not acceptable and should not be acceptable to anyone who has worn our uniform.

Tes- take of your tinted sunglasses and don't presume to know me or accuse me of giving up. You don't know so don't presume you can pass judgement. What I DO know is that your same old schtick of "everything is going to be fine" and/or "if you don't embrace this year's corps then you are not a good brother" --- or any year's corps for that matter as you've been spouting the same stuff for at least 2 years now--- is tired. That is all I will say to you regarding your comment. I won't get into a public pissing match with another brother. That being said- make no mistake I've earned the right to cheer as loudly as possible for my brothers but to also be - as all have who have worn the superman suit - critical.

I - for a long time- as one of those dinosaurs people talk about on here. I don't care for everything going on now; however, I'm enjoying enough of the things to come back. I also come back b/c of friendships and brotherhood I developed. What I saw last night in the theater ( and by all accounts throughout the season ) here in VA made me very sad. I saw at least two corps "out Madison" the Madison Scouts. That is just not acceptable and should not be acceptable to anyone who has worn our uniform.

Wasn't referring to you either, but thanks for chiming in.

I would, however, encourage you to contact the board, directors, and staff directly as they have posted to do as well on the Facebook alum page to voice concerns, because that's who CAN make changes.

I can also assure you that they don't take comments on here seriously, because they don't know who is posting.

I've had very candid conversations with with these people and they know and understand the concerns.

After 2014 I was very vocal about my distaste for what was going on, but I channeled it the way that might do something, and I did see change.

Not saying I caused the change, but I know that my voice was heard.

Edited by tesmusic

Absolutely sick to my stomach to see comments from other DCI fans to the effect of "I hope Scouts don't make finals"

When did The Men become so hated and why? I never in my life thought I'd see fans vocally hoping for Scouts to fail. We were the rockstars of DCI. We were the crew the fans would viciously boo the judges for when we'd get snubbed.

Wow...makes me so sad.

• Like 1

Absolutely sick to my stomach to see comments from other DCI fans to the effect of "I hope Scouts don't make finals"

When did The Men become so hated and why? I never in my life thought I'd see fans vocally hoping for Scouts to fail. We were the rockstars of DCI. We were the crew the fans would viciously boo the judges for when we'd get snubbed.

Wow...makes me so sad.

Not sure where you're seeing people root for Scouts to not be in finals.

There are people who do want Boston to be in finals, but that's very different from actively wanting Scouts out of finals.

As for the enjoyment factor of the Scouts this year, it's a dark show with an unclear theme and is pretty old school. Now there's nothing wrong with having old school elements, people love SCV this year, but SCV still incorporates a lot of modern elements. That's just my guess as to the decreased popularity of the Scouts.

If the Scouts really have a strong desire to shed themselves of their "caricature" image, all they need to do is look back to 1997; "Pirates of Lake Mendota" was original, creative, fun, entertaining, and different than what they would normally bring to the field. The music had a Scouts sound...but, yet, it sounded fresh and different. I so enjoyed that show that I even bought a t-shirt.

• Like 2