MADISON SCOUTS 2016

Time to become a pretentious WGI/BOA hybrid. Load the field with broadway props, put on neon pink body suits and totally sell out. SMH....real drum corps is dead.

Yeah, totally. REAL drum corps has dubstep and no one can convince me otherwise!

• Like 2

SCV still looks like SCV and they've modernized.
The Bluecoats aren't telling a story, they have some great music, have modernized and just might win their first world championship.

The '80s were my favorite decade for drum corps; but, this is a new era and the young men and women are really into it. There are some things I'm not too fond of, either; however, there are also some really awesome things happening that I've opened myself up to. The Scouts can still be the Scouts; but they have to adapt or they will continue to be left behind with periodic finishes in the lower tier of the 12 or placing outside of it.

Edited by corps8294
  • Like 5

88 is quintessential Scouts. That show cannot compete in this arena, nor do I see an update scenario that maintains the in your facedness (yes, new word) of that performance.

I'm one of the first to admit that I no longer understand DCI judging criteria. Unfortunately that also means I'd be a poor choice for a show designer. As far as I can tell, what wins is far more subtle than I can generally eek out on a football field. Consistent winners (BD) seem to be able to tell the whole community, including the judges, what ought to win...so they seem to be ahead of the curve while everyone else plays catch up.

All the best to the Madison Scouts in the future. Thank you for entertaining fans across the country this season, regardless of a Finals berth.

• Like 8

Time to become a pretentious WGI/BOA hybrid. Load the field with broadway props, put on neon pink body suits and totally sell out. SMH....real drum corps is dead.

If you're one of the people that say "the glory days of drum corps were the 70s/80s" I might as well mention that "real" drum corps died when they added a valve to the bugles. This activity is evolving, either move forward and enjoy what these young adults are putting out or keep watching shows only from "the glory days". Don't belittle the members, they are working just as hard or harder than those who marched before them.

• Like 1

I'm not belittling the marching members or even the staff for that matter. I'm belittling DCI for what we all see with politics and biasis.

I'm not belittling the marching members or even the staff for that matter. I'm belittling DCI for what we all see with politics and biasis.

Why? Because Boston polished their show to a higher sheen than Scouts did over the last two weeks? How is that politics?

• Like 3