MADISON SCOUTS 2016

I love Scott Stewart as a person, but I think he hung on too long and did irrevocable damage to the future of the corps at a critical turning point in the direction of the activity.

...and what did Mason and his crew do for the corps image? Oh yeah, they brought back the classic '70s all green and the large script "M" on the drums.

The activity is passing the Madison Scouts by and if they don't do something, they will become nothing more than a junior corps performing senior and alumni corps shows...and be the next victim of an BDB. Heck, there are corps in DCA that are more progressive than The Madison Scouts, currently. Thirteenth place isn't the end all; but it should be a wake up call for the design team to sit down and think about the direction of the corps shows. Talent isn't an issue, it's the product the talent is given that needs attention.

Edited by corps8294

...and what did Mason and his crew do for the corps image? Oh yeah, they brought back the classic '70s all green and the large script "M" on the drums.

The activity is passing the Madison Scouts by and if they don't do something, they will become nothing more than a junior corps performing senior and alumni corps shows...and be the next victim of an BDB. Heck, there are corps in DCA that are more progressive than The Madison Scouts, currently. Thirteenth place isn't the end all; but it should be a wake up call for the design team to sit down and think about the direction of the corps shows. Talent isn't an issue, it's the product the talent is given that needs attention.

Madison, and Cadets to an extent, are in the hardest place to be: appeasing the past while pushing for the future. They push too hard the "old money" pisses and moans and threatens to withhold funds. Yet when they try to keep the past alive and don't score well, that same crowd is the first to lead the charge demanding change.... That they'll later ##### about.

I've never seen an activity where the past craps on the current and future like drum corps. But if the current or future craps back, the past gets soooo insulted.

• Like 5

Madison, and Cadets to an extent, are in the hardest place to be: appeasing the past while pushing for the future. They push too hard the "old money" pisses and moans and threatens to withhold funds. Yet when they try to keep the past alive and don't score well, that same crowd is the first to lead the charge demanding change.... That they'll later ##### about.

I've never seen an activity where the past craps on the current and future like drum corps. But if the current or future craps back, the past gets soooo insulted.

That's a LOT of crapping, but makes total sense, haha

Is it ALL about placement and winning?

Funny you say that cause Madison fans i know always say the Scouts don't care about placements and scores. They are in it for the entertainment of fans. Guess they was wrong, or it's something they say when Madison is in finals and winning.

I have just resigned myself to the fact that the Scouts are a "has been". It sucks, but it is what it is. Maybe they can turn things around, but I'm not expecting it. I love Scott Stewart as a person, but I think he hung on too long and did irrevocable damage to the future of the corps at a critical turning point in the direction of the activity. There's not a single other year-in-year-out Top 6 corps from the last couple of decades that is in the position the Scouts continually find themselves in. Last season was the first time they've really sniffed the Top 6 since 2005 and one year later they're out of Finals altogether.

I doubt there is any other corps that has had the same wild swings in placement that the Scouts have had over the past decade either, save maybe Blue Stars.

While I don't watch the Summer MArching Bands I do keep track of scores and trends.

Cavies have been counted out much like you are counting out Scouts and they are bouncing back beating Cadets last night.

Hopkins may find himself moving down the totem pole even further with the staff changes that are coming.

My favorite shows seem to be senior and alumni style - is that wrong? To me, Madison was far and away the most entertaining Corps this year

• Like 1

My favorite shows seem to be senior and alumni style - is that wrong? To me, Madison was far and away the most entertaining Corps this year

Certainly, it is not wrong. You and I can have our favorites, and favorite styles. But I believe that who are favoring a, shall we say, conservative view of the activity are becoming in the minority. I sat in a theater Thursday night with a wide range of folks including around a third of the viewers being HS students or certainly far younger than I. And, it was close to crickets, for the MS. That which the young prefer seems to be the more progressive elements of the activity. George Hopkins (and others for sure) have seen this and attempted to make DCI an activity that will appeal to those it needs most. The next generation of marchers.

• Like 1

Well I had Madison in finals over Boston. Better show and of course any narration like Boston has just drives me up the wall but they were cleaner than the Scouts last night. Got to be a lot of relieved Boston homers this morning. Hopefully the Scouts will bring a stronger product next year, although I'm not sure I'll be following this much anymore. DCI has just lost me pretty much the last few years.

• Like 1

We saw Scouts at Oceanside and Pasadena on July 2nd & 3rd when, at that time, they were counting out almost all of the 39 lashes via narration. Then their amps were turned up so loud that the speakers vibrated the glass at the TOP of the Rose Bowl stadium. At Oceanside I had to cover my ears and hope my heart didn't stop it was so abusive. I just couldn't understand how the expected the judges to not be critical of such blatant overuse - there was no subtly there.

Even with all of Madison's impressive horn power and volume, when the corps came in after the amps they sounded puny.

At Pasadena there was a staff member standing near me with an alum/donor. I said to him "You know, Judas hung himself. That scaffolding might actually be put to good use and you might get some "Phantom GE"...

He didn't even smile.

I didn't like the show then and, even after the narration change, I didn't like the show last night. It never progressed and couldn't really say that it had gotten much cleaner throughout the season. Design barely matured, and execution failed on even small things over the whole summer. I'm not surprised they ended where they did.

All that said, rumors of their death are greatly exaggerated IMO. They'll be back, I'm sure.

• Like 3