MADISON SCOUTS 2016

Different talent level for sure this year too!

• Like 2

I've seen much of Madison. They are phenomenal. Show as a whole is much more intricate than last year (music, drill and especially the guard work). Guard is much improved. Brass seems improved. Can't comment on percussion - know nothing.

This is, by far, the best, and most demanding, vehicle they've had in years. This corps may start the season behind the 2005 corps (score and placement wise), but they may score higher by seasons end. This is a show that will pass up other corps - not be passed up itself. IMO this is the best product Madison has offered since 1999, maybe 1995. I think they have a very legit shot at 6th place this year - based on the assumption that not every other corps will have the vast improvement I see in Madison. I love this show. It is easily my favorite since 1995 (I think it's more exciting than the great 1999 show). I think everyone is really going to love it.

Edited by henry7184

I think the Madison crowd has been pretty honest on here of the show in recent years, 2014 especially.

If they think it's a hit, I'm buying into the hype some. If y'all are wrong though someone is buying me a drink.

:p

There is always a risk of being wrong, but yes, I believe myself to be more realistic than biased. Gosh, the 2014 show was a disaster. I was devastated when I first saw it (before the season started), as I knew it was a show that was going to go no where. It was, IMO, a mistake of epic proportions by Mason and Co.

I think Mason and Co did a great job in 2010 getting the corps back on solid footing and into finals. After that though, I was shocked they put out a series of shows that didn't have the legs to compete well at the end of the season. I would have thought they would have learned from their years at Star. I thought, particularly pertaining to '88 and '89 that the corps (Star) was given products vastly beneath their talent level. As much as I loved '89, I have always wondered what could have been. They wised up big time in '90 and it paid off. Since 2010, I was waiting for them to wise up and it never happened. 2013 was a huge disappointment too. How could you make "Night on Bare Mountain" boring?

Last year, I heard all season how the corps was going to fall behind (especially Blue Stars and Boston) and was left scratching my head. I felt Madison had a better, and more difficult product, than both of them (and one above them) and couldn't understand why others couldn't see it. Of course, they added as they went to improve and enhance the show. 8th place was right where they should have placed last year, so I agreed with the judges, but from a design standpoint that show was great - especially the drill.

This year, the product is much better, out of the gate, IMO, but there is definitely a lot of room to add and enhance, so it's going to be very interesting to see how this show develops from a design and competitive standpoint. I am very hopeful this year.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 1

There is always a risk of being wrong, but yes, I believe myself to be more realistic than biased. Gosh, the 2014 show was a disaster. I was devastated when I first saw it (before the season started), as I knew it was a show that was going to go no where. It was, IMO, a mistake of epic proportions by Mason and Co.

I think Mason and Co did a great job in 2010 getting the corps back on solid footing and into finals. After that though, I was shocked they put out a series of shows that didn't have the legs to compete well at the end of the season. I would have thought they would have learned from their years at Star. I thought, particularly pertaining to '88 and '89 that the corps (Star) was given products vastly beneath their talent level. As much as I loved '89, I have always wondered what could have been. They wised up big time in '90 and it paid off. Since 2010, I was waiting for them to wise up and it never happened. 2013 was a huge disappointment too. How could you make "Night on Bare Mountain" boring?

Last year, I heard all season how the corps was going to fall behind (especially Blue Stars and Boston) and was left scratching my head. I felt Madison had a better, and more difficult product, than both of them (and one above them) and couldn't understand why others couldn't see it. Of course, they added as they went to improve and enhance the show. 8th place was right where they should have placed last year, so I agreed with the judges, but from a design standpoint that show was great - especially the drill.

This year, the product is much better, out of the gate, IMO, but there is definitely a lot of room to add and enhance, so it's going to be very interesting to see how this show develops from a design and competitive standpoint. I am very hopeful this year.

From the videos that I have seen of the feeds in the alumni group I have to truly agree with you. It appears to me that they surpassed where the guys left off last year in both design and talent. I think that many people were hesitant to believe that this could be possible when they heard that the scouts were doing the music from JCSS again. I was skeptical at first until I saw it. You have to remember that a lot of music to that musical was never even touched in the 1999 show. And the angle of the entire theme is from the twisted, angry, jealous, bizarre mind of Judas this time, rather than through the eyes of Christ. This is what I see from the show so far. I wander if at the end of this show the tree shows up with a rope? We all know what eventually happened to Judas in the end. But that might be too sensitive of a line to cross. But, yeah I can say people will be pleasantly surprised or disappointed, depending on what you feel about the scouts. I am excited as h!!!. No pun intended.

Edited by Madcityscout
  • Like 1