MADISON SCOUTS 2016

Add me to the list. That was fantastic! I agree about the ending, but we all know they'll change most of that anyway.

It's not live. They had someone record it for them, so it's not a sample, however.

Much like the vocals and strings-by creating the sounds themselves, rather than sampling, they don't have the same licensing and streaming issues that others have had when using samples.

Maybe it is the dinosaur in me, but I believe that if the sound is part of the show, the sound should be made during the show by one of the performers. If the sound can be pre-recorded, then why not record the entire brass & drum music in a controlled indoor setting & just do the drum & brass equivalent of 'lip synching'?

• Like 2

I'm no Madison honk. I thought the way they put together the Judas POV was well really done. Quite a challenge to overcome since a lot of JCSS is light-hearted material used to pull the audience back out of what is ultimately a pretty dark story. IMHO JCSS is all about Judas -- he's trying to save a man he loves from what he views as some deluded, distorted vision. The storyline of the show is "what the he## are you doing" to "what the he## were you thinking".

I'm not gonna officially revise my prediction post but if I were -- this is the corps I'd move up. A lot. I think they have a vehicle that can push them right to edge of top 6.

The idea to tell the story from the Judas POV originated with Rice & Lloyd-Weber back in 1970

The idea to tell the story from the Judas POV originated with Rice & Lloyd-Weber back in 1970

You realize the comment was meant about being on the DCI field and that we didn't do that story in 1999, right?

Maybe it is the dinosaur in me, but I believe that if the sound is part of the show, the sound should be made during the show by one of the performers. If the sound can be pre-recorded, then why not record the entire brass & drum music in a controlled indoor setting & just do the drum & brass equivalent of 'lip synching'?

Welcome to DCI show designs of 2016, glad you could join us in seeing what most are doing.

• Like 1

Why do we always have to move to an extreme just because a middle/balanced ground is allowed?

If we allow people to legally use addictive drugs such as tobacco, why don't we just make all addictive drugs legalized?

If some open carry states allow handguns, why not let them carry assault rifles too?

See how that can sound a little ridiculous?

You realize the comment was meant about being on the DCI field and that we didn't do that story in 1999, right?

I mean that the rock opera 'Jesus Christ Superstar', which served as source material for Madison on both 1999 & 2016, was designed by the composer & lyricist to tell the gospel story from the point of view of Judas Iscariot.

Just caught the run through performance video, and I honestly can't put into words how happy I am to see the return of melodic arrangements the last couple of years after 10-15 years of the chop and bop nonsense. So refreshing! Boerma did a great job with the horn book as well. Thought it was very well done.

I likely won't ever get used to electronics or amplified pit. It is what it is. But I will never ever ever get used to amplified soloists! Personally, I would have been offended if someone asked me to play into a microphone. There was zero chance you weren't hearing every single note of my solo with the Colts in '94. In fact, I think I laser-etched my tone into the recordings. Not to mention the fact that it's rarely blended well with the rest of the ensemble. I'd love to see them drop that, but it's doubtful.

That being said, I think this is easily the best vehicle the scouts have had in the last 10-15 years and I think they can do well with it. Saw the typical early season issues with the hornline and the middle third of the show show suffered a bit there, but the beginning and ending (surprisingly) were pretty strong. Want to see more control out of the hornline, which is difficult when you're really moving. I understand this.

Found the counting of the lashes to be VERY effective and it really had a surprising impact on me. Thought that was really well done. One thing I find confusing is how everyone kept saying that they were using all this other music from the musical, yet I recognized 99% of what they played from '99. That's not to say that it's the same show as '99, because it clearly isn't. Just didn't understand that based upon earlier comments.

Like I said earlier, however, very solid show and a great foundation to build on this season. Should be pretty beastly come August. So glad to have guys like Van Matthews and Matt Harmon back. They should really help this group of guys.

Edited by BigBadMadMan
  • Like 4

Looks good! A bit frantic, but that will probably resolve during the tour. Do not understand the activity's fascination with trombones. :eh:

It's an unofficial requirement.

If you don't go all out and have one ( or a concert french horn), then you don't get as many points as another corps.