MADISON SCOUTS 2016

Exactly. As a lifelong Cubs fan, I should be used to having high expectations year after year only to be disappointed. Wait until next year. Every year next year is the year...but it never is. The Scouts have been hanging around the lower 3rd & upper 4th tier of finals corps for far too many years.

Interesting comparison with Scout fans to Cub fans. Hmmmm.

I really don't fully understand why those (not all; but some) that follow the Scouts get so overly worked up when their corps gets beat by The Blue Stars. The only reasons I can think of are:

1. In-state rivalry for bragging rights.

2. A lot of the young Scouts alumni still think of the Blue Stars as a A-60/Div III corps with little to no knowledge of the corps history in the '70s.
I don't see any SCV folks getting cranked up with The Blue Devils. Oh well, it is what it is.

In regards to those folks being p***ed off about not placing in the top tier...welcome to the rest of the top 12. The reality is, The Blue Devils are the corps that is, currently, running and shaping the direction of the activity. They are the "in thing," if you will. The top talent desires to be a part of that. If any of you think that The Madison Scouts, Blue Stars, or even the beloved Santa Clara Vanguard has any chance of beating them or placing in their tier in the near future, you are just going be on a fast track to burnout. Heck, even gunning for a top 5 spot is near impossible.

Relax, enjoy the competition, and be thankful that there are still some of the historically important corps still around providing a rad experience for the young men and women in the activity. Remember, it's easy to fall out of the top 12; but it's quite a task to make it in. Therefore, The Madison Scouts and The Blue Stars must be pretty d**n good to be where they are. MYNWA and FCO!

• Like 1

I think it has more to do with the Stars drums being extremely good than with the Scouts drums being terrible.

Snares and tenors at the DOP Middleton show were the dirtiest I have ever heard from Scouts. Ever.

• Like 1

I believe part of it has to do with the long entangled history of the 2 corps. Madison was the king of the hill for many years in Wisconsin and the drum corps world prior to the Blue Stars coming along in the mid 60's and 70's. All of a sudden this new little corps came from out of know where and started beating the scouts. There is a long tentacled history of many relationships between the 2 corps that go very very deep... between instructional staff, admin, judges, members dating/marrying one another, competing for members... and even deeper in the historical development/founding of DCI itself. All be said however, both corps deeply respect one another, and truth be told, would probably not disagree that what is good for Madison is good for the Blue Stars and drum corps overall and visa versa

Edited by brians
  • Like 1

Snares and tenors at the DOP Middleton show were the dirtiest I have ever heard from Scouts. Ever.

Any suggestions on how to correct this to the Scout's percussion staff or administration? Why not shot them an email? The season is still young. Maybe with your added expertise they can get that percussion score raised significantly by at least Allentown.

Any suggestions on how to correct this to the Scout's percussion staff or administration? Why not shot them an email? The season is still young. Maybe with your added expertise they can get that percussion score raised significantly by at least Allentown.

I've suggested that for years, not going to happen.

As for actually doing that, I have on many occasions, and can tell you that those emails are welcome, and based on personal experience, my concerns have been areas that were addressed.

Whether or not it was my correspondence that helped, I can't say for certain, but it is welcome.

Gregg Auby, Dann Peterson, Chris Komnick, etc. are class acts and want feedback.

As for taking comments seriously from a random screen name on DCP, probably not going to happen because that's not worth it.

It'd be like valuing the National Enquirer as a legit point of news.

• Like 1

I loved their show at Stanford but I have to agree. Their drumline was not clean at all.