MADISON SCOUTS 2016

Madison was in the same position after Minnesota last year. Look how last year's show evolved. I'm not worried yet. I quite like the musical and visual book of this show. At this time, I'm not worried. I still think they have the content in their show to beat BK, Regiment and BS at the end of the season. Whether that will happen or not depends on how they clean this show up.

Madison was in the same position after Minnesota last year. Look how last year's show evolved. I'm not worried yet. I quite like the musical and visual book of this show. At this time, I'm not worried. I still think they have the content in their show to beat BK, Regiment and BS at the end of the season. Whether that will happen or not depends on how they clean this show up.

Not to be Downer Debbie, but having seen BK, Regiment and BS last night, I don't see this as a cleaning problem. They do not have the content of BK, BS or PR. Their GE lags behind all of them. It's a content issue and a cleaning issue. Not sure you can fix that this late in the season

double post

Edited by HockeyDad

Not to be Downer Debbie, but having seen BK, Regiment and BS last night, I don't see this as a cleaning problem. They do not have the content of BK, BS or PR. Their GE lags behind all of them. It's a content issue and a cleaning issue. Not sure you can fix that this late in the season

Please explain how they don't have the content of BK, BS or PR. Everyone always says so and so doesn't have the content of so and so, yet they are never able to state the why.

Madison again as a kaleidoscopic drill this year. Transitions from one form to the next are very good. The drill is very demanding and is incorporated with the music. They fit together to form a unified piece. The visual isn't sacrificed at the expense of the musical.

Just because they are playing more melodic music doesn't mean it's easier than say BK's. The music has a lot of demand, and the hornline is playing while moving - at the same time. The music is melodic, entertaining and has plenty of content. The music isn't sacrificed at the expense of the visual.

The guard book is challenging and well staged. The guard is integrated well into the show, and they are not an after thought. I, too, was very surprised with how well their guard placed last night, but the guard book is effective and has plenty of content.

We heard the same argument last year last year with regards to Madison - that they didn't have enough content. Everyone who said that last year was proved wrong, and those saying it this year are wrong.

I don't know where Madison will end up. 7-10 is going to be a dog fight this year. Madison has to address GE right now. But let's not forget GE is the most subjective caption there is, so one night doesn't tell the story of a whole season. They are right there in all the performance captions with PR, BK and BS. GE may be their achilles heel this year, but content is not an issue.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 1

I have to agree with henry7184 that Madison does have the content.

I have to agree with henry7184 that Madison does have the content.

Thank you. We hear this every year. In 2010-2014 everyone was correct. 2015 and 2016 they are not. This is a different administration. An administration that wants the members to have success on finals night and plans for it throughout the year, including the summer. They listen to the judges and enhance the show throughout the season, just like everyone else.

Please explain how they don't have the content of BK, BS or PR. Everyone always says so and so doesn't have the content of so and so, yet they are never able to state the why. We heard the same argument last year - Madison doesn't have the content. That argument proved to be wrong.

I didn't want to "go there" but if you insist: Choppy arrangements that make you yearn for the '99 version. Forgettable drill. Washed out guard with the earth tone color. No distinction. Judas gets lost in the sameness of the guard. Hanging scene, which should have been a focal moment, lasted maybe all of 5 seconds and I would have missed it entirely had I not been looking at that part of the field at the time. The was nothing that drew your attention there. Awkward transitions. I just had such high hopes for this show. BK and BS seem to be years ahead in use of guard, color palette and integration. BK, BS and Phantom all had gorgeous and powerfully lush brass moments. Scouts seemed mostly muted. Even the company front had no buildup, no anticipation, it was kinda - oh look a company front. Cool. I don't know. The whole experience left me depressed. The judges got the placements right. But lest you think I'm being overly harsh, I was even more disappointed by Troop. But this is the Madison thread. Do they have the potential to have the content? Sure. The source material is made for them. But their staff hasn't written it or staged it to bring it out. That's why this isn't just an issue of needing to clean. Edited by HockeyDad

I didn't want to "go there" but if you insist: Choppy arrangements that make you yearn for the '99 version. Forgettable drill. Washed out guard with the earth tone color. No distinction. Judas gets lost in the sameness of the guard. Hanging scene, which should have been a focal moment, lasted maybe all of 5 seconds. Awkward transitions. I just had such high hopes for this show. BK and BS seem to be years ahead in use of guard, color palette and integration. BK, BS and Phantom all had gorgeous and powerfully lush brass moments. Scouts seemed mostly muted. Even the company front had no buildup, no anticipation, it was kinda - oh look a company front. Cool. I don't know. The whole experience left me depressed. The judges got the placements right. But lest you think I'm being overly harsh, I was even more disappointed by Troop. But this is the Madison thread.

You're entitled to you opinion. Of the 4, I like BK's show the best, hands down. I don't know how anyone could watch Regiment and say they have more content than the other three, with two ballads and a lot of park and blow. To me, Madison's drill is more compelling than both Regiment's and BK's. BK relies heavily on body movement, at the complete expense of interesting drill. That being said, I love their show (especially the music) so much.

As far as choppy arrangements, who doesn't have them this year? Maybe Regiment and SCV. That's it. That's the new norm in DCI and I hate it, but Madison certainly has a more melodic show than BK and BS.

I disagree wholeheartedly about guard integration. Cavies guard is the most well integrated IMO, and Madison's is more well integrated than BK and BS. Phantom has a tremendously effective guard this year.

What show has buildup this year, save SCV?

There's no doubting Madison's show needs work, but the same can be said for the other 3. That is why they are ALL on a lower level than the top 6. They all have issues that they need to address.

Edited by henry7184

Thank you. We hear this every year. In 2010-2014 everyone was correct. 2015 and 2016 they are not. This is a different administration. An administration that wants the members to have success on finals night and plans for it throughout the year, including the summer. They listen to the judges and enhance the show throughout the season, just like everyone else.