MADISON SCOUTS 2016

In keeping with Jesus always being present, if that is your personal religious belief, how about a tag ending of a piece of the corps song, since you will never walk alone if you believe in Jesus.

Are you being facetious? If you follow the storyline... Superstar leads into the crucifixion, where the now ghost of Judas (as he had committed suicide earlier in the production) is questioning (or even mocking) Jesus before he passes away on the cross.

• Like 1

Are you being facetious? If you follow the storyline... Superstar leads into the crucifixion, where the now ghost of Judas (as he had committed suicide earlier in the production) is questioning (or even mocking) Jesus before he passes away on the cross.

Now now, Chris, let's not provide truth and facts about the source of the show.

• Like 1

I can imagine how Blue Star alums felt last year when Madison was beating them, or Cavalier alums for that matter. But they kicked in gear this year.

What frustrated us, the most, was that we all drank the Kool-Aid in the beginning of the season on what ended up being a very flawed show with some captions that needed some tweaking. The show design wasn't that great and it never really progressed. It took forever for the hornline to get any volume (some of that attributed to the substandard instruments) and it was a really down year in the visual caption. We were fortunate enough to have a stellar percussion section that kept the corps in finals.

What frustrated us, the most, was that we all drank the Kool-Aid in the beginning of the season on what ended up being a very flawed show with some captions that needed some tweaking. The show design wasn't that great and it never really progressed. It took forever for the hornline to get any volume (some of that attributed to the substandard instruments) and it was a really down year in the visual caption. We were fortunate enough to have a stellar percussion section that kept the corps in finals.

That sounds like a description of this years Scouts, except the drum line this year isn't very good.

• Like 1

Yeah, bottom line is the show design was a swing and a miss pretty much. And this was supposed to be an all star design team.

It's incredibly hard to get a swing and a hit year after year in this activity, and sometimes, many really great design teams fall short. It happens.

I wouldn't even call this year's show a miss. Maybe it's a double or a triple. But other Corps are getting triples and home runs.

Yamahas are "substandard" now? Aren't these the same horns they played in 15?

Edited by lastknight

A few points I have about this show:

1) I actually enjoy the beginning of the show, mostly because that's how JCSS begins.

2) I'm not really that fond of the guard uniforms, you have Judas wearing red and the rest of the guard wearing orange. It's very easy to lose track of the featured member.

3) There are some mixed feelings about the company front. I love the big 39, whip, and huge hit, just wish that they had more of a build up and not as dragged out beforehand with the counting.

4) This show was intended to be a darker version of JCSS, I wish it ended in a darker mood. If it were up to me I'd have company front, then Superstar, have it dissolve into the beginning ominous, chant-like music like at the very start of the show before the electric guitar comes in, and have the members walk off the field. It would give the show a pretty dark ending.

• Like 1

Seen the show a few times live this season. Take it for what it's worth (alums will hate this), but the best thing the Scouts could do, moving forward, is to stop trying to be "the Madison Scouts."

No more retro programming, no more attempts to go back and play old charts or recapture what worked 15 or 30 years ago. The corps hasn't really been innovative in programming since the Carmen show which was...what - 10 years ago? And that was a one and done attempt.

The activity has moved to a new address, but it feels like Madison is just trying to update their 1970s ranch house. It's done, folks. Whip out a blank piece of paper, write "150 performers" at the top, and then go from there. Everything else should be open for 'new', since new, as noted in an early episode of Mad Men, is the most exciting word in the English language.

My two cents.

• Like 3

Seen the show a few times live this season. Take it for what it's worth (alums will hate this), but the best thing the Scouts could do, moving forward, is to stop trying to be "the Madison Scouts."

No more retro programming, no more attempts to go back and play old charts or recapture what worked 15 or 30 years ago. The corps hasn't really been innovative in programming since the Carmen show which was...what - 10 years ago? And that was a one and done attempt.

The activity has moved to a new address, but it feels like Madison is just trying to update their 1970s ranch house. It's done, folks. Whip out a blank piece of paper, write "150 performers" at the top, and then go from there. Everything else should be open for 'new', since new, as noted in an early episode of Mad Men, is the most exciting word in the English language.

My two cents.

And its precisely this that has so many of us old farts losing interest in Drum Corps. Madison still gets my yearly donation and I did buy the online service this year but I'm pretty close to done. It's just not the entertaining in your face fun it used to be.

• Like 1