MADISON SCOUTS 2016

And its precisely this that has so many of us old farts losing interest in Drum Corps. Madison still gets my yearly donation and I did buy the online service this year but I'm pretty close to done. It's just not the entertaining in your face fun it used to be.

THIS...

• Like 1

Are you being facetious? If you follow the storyline... Superstar leads into the crucifixion, where the now ghost of Judas (as he had committed suicide earlier in the production) is questioning (or even mocking) Jesus before he passes away on the cross.

Actually yes! Forgot the smiley. :tounge2:

oops

Seen the show a few times live this season. Take it for what it's worth (alums will hate this), but the best thing the Scouts could do, moving forward, is to stop trying to be "the Madison Scouts."

No more retro programming, no more attempts to go back and play old charts or recapture what worked 15 or 30 years ago. The corps hasn't really been innovative in programming since the Carmen show which was...what - 10 years ago? And that was a one and done attempt.

The activity has moved to a new address, but it feels like Madison is just trying to update their 1970s ranch house. It's done, folks. Whip out a blank piece of paper, write "150 performers" at the top, and then go from there. Everything else should be open for 'new', since new, as noted in an early episode of Mad Men, is the most exciting word in the English language.

My two cents.

This. The Madison Scouts, in some respects, have become a caricature of their '70s, '80s, and early to mid '90s corps. When Mason and the Star crew got the corps back into finals; what else was done to evolve the organization? For all the talk of wanting and thinking that The Madison Scouts deserve to be in the top tier; what have they done to get themselves on the path to get to that level? The Blue Devils, The Bluecoats, and Carolina Crown are the "Joneses," now; what has Madison done to keep up with them?

In today's shortened, two month long season, "change" and re-writes are a daily constant for all drum corps. Therefore, everyone is traveling on the same trajectory without the ability to make any real impact to move ahead of the corps in front of them. Nowadays, if you don't come out with an incredibly strong program right out of the gate, it seems like you're immediately in a dog fight to make it into the night show in Indie. And, I would agree with you regarding the Fleur de lis...Thematically, it doesn't belong with this years production. Furthermore, I'm feeling that the 2016 version off JCSS has become a caricature of the 99' show. Watch that 99' show, and it's a "complete" masterpiece!...This year, all we hear is Resurgence, Resurgence!, and their focal point to supposedly hang their hat is the 39 lash diagonal front which ends up being anticlimactic because they've got a ton of show left at that point that ends up going nowhere! I would even argue that musically the 99' show had far more impact at the "front" as compared to this years version utilizing the "diagonal". It's funny that at about this time every year we're all hoping that the Scouts will pull a monster rabbit out of their magic hat...and before the season even begins, we hear nothing but over the top hype...Resurgence!

Only one alumnus says "Resurgence". It's not a 'thing"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pubd-spHN-0

Edited by Cop
  • Like 1

Only one alumnus says "Resurgence". It's not a 'thing"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pubd-spHN-0

It may have been started by one alumnus who posts continually on the alumni FB page, but the idea seems to have been adopted now by many within the same venue...and it's some of those very same that have gotten caught up within that hype that are now voicing their disappointment wondering why their dreams of "resurgence" haven't been fulfilled. Therefore, I've went as far as to suggest to some of these same individuals that they seem to continually set themselves up for disenchantment. Yes, keep it positive, but live within the world of reality...Otherwise, one tends to air their dirty laundry in delicate places that then requires those in leadership to chime in and talk about such things as the corps finances as compared to the upper echelon. Me...maybe I've played to much of the role of Capt. Obvious and could temper my remarks as well. A tip of the hat though to you Cop, for you are always the voice of reason...MYNWA Sir!

Serious question not to anger or start a war. Madison scout alums would you rather be top 6 or keep Madison Scouts tradition? To can only pick one and none of that I want the traditionalast show to win.

So, what I hear you saying is that in order for Madison to once again become a top 6 corps, they need to separate themselves from their core values...Do I have that about right?