Digital Video Rights Issues Continue - Music For All Joins The List

Trying to find out if the Mummers still sell CDs/DVDs from the Show of Shows..... should be next on the hit list....

If you think corps and band people can express displeasure, let's all go to South Phila-ma-delphia... err Filth-a-delphia..... you know where I mean....

few more months and the his n hers Flyers shirts come back out.... *hoo boy*

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Trying to find out if the Mummers still sell CDs/DVDs from the Show of Shows..... should be next on the hit list....

If you think corps and band people can express displeasure, let's all go to South Phila-ma-delphia... err Filth-a-delphia..... you know where I mean....

few more months and the his n hers Flyers shirts come back out.... *hoo boy*

Looking forward to this season. I have high hopes for Hakstol.

• Like 1

Tresona is very likely the devil. :devil: (wish there was a more evil looking devil)

It is going to kill our activity, either through astronomical copyright fees or through destroying the history of the activity.

I'm a high school band director who saw our copyright fees go from < $700 last season to > $2200 this season. This is unsustainable for most groups. And now that they are the managing firm for ALL copyright requests, they can determine (read: assure) that copyright fees ascend to whatever price point they deem to be acceptable to them.

Is this correct? I would define that as a monopoly if this is the case which is illegal. I'm sure they've found some way to get around it though.

Just curious ..Was this something we saw coming and did nothing or is it a total surprise and catch us with our pants down???

Well, the question seems to be: what did the licensing agreement that DCI already had from Tresona's predecessors say? Why did DCI believe that those agreements allowed them to sell videos for download and to stream with DVR capability? Why does Tresona believe otherwise? Most of us have no way of knowing without seeing the actual agreements DCI had obtained from the various license holders through the years, and then comparing those to other licensing agreements, and seeing what the standard practice was, and whether DCI was following it. Maybe someone will leak a license agreement to Jeff.

Is this correct? I would define that as a monopoly if this is the case which is illegal. I'm sure they've found some way to get around it though.

No, it's not true that Tresona manages all music rights, just a large number of them.

And they eventually will back down, somewhat. They'll have to, or they'll get nothing. They're just pushing as hard as they can to force DCI, MfA, and others to agree to the highest possible rate.

• Like 1

how recent is all this? I couldn't figure out why I could no longer find some shows that I had wanted to let the wife see...I guess this is why. is it summarized anywhere?

Well, the question seems to be: what did the licensing agreement that DCI already had from Tresona's predecessors say? Why did DCI believe that those agreements allowed them to sell videos for download and to stream with DVR capability? Why does Tresona believe otherwise? Most of us have no way of knowing without seeing the actual agreements DCI had obtained from the various license holders through the years, and then comparing those to other licensing agreements, and seeing what the standard practice was, and whether DCI was following it. Maybe someone will leak a license agreement to Jeff.

copyright issues in many other idioms have been working their way through the courts, and copyright holders are feeling more bold than at any time since Metallica took on Napster. and of course you have a very pro big business Supreme Court, which doesn't help.

What's happening is this....the more they try to tighten their grip, the more piracy they've created. Since the artists are probably not getting that much of the $$, they don't realize in the long run, they are screwing themselves.

• Like 1

why is this on here, it's marching band, who even cares?

Mods !!!!

because it bleeds over to the DCILive and DCA online service issues since they share the platform

I received a message from Fan Network customer service indicating that they still plan to offer FN this year. This doesn't guarantee that a) all corps will be viewable (I'm worried about BD and BK) or b) it won't cost a ton of money.

Plus, in a separate thread, someone reported speaking with a DCI representative at finals, who said that DCI is making Blurays and that we should be able to order them within a few weeks.