Copyrights And Common Sense

Anyone know for sure what DCI and DCA does with any profits.

Think I do but why screw it up if wrong.....

most dont know but the NFL has been a nonprofit for years making Billions of dollars.

National Football League, Incorporated

As a (very well-remunerated) executive of a non-profit organization said to me years ago, "'non-profit' is a term of art in the tax code, not an operating philosophy."

Doubtless some non-profits, like some for-profits, take that approach, but most are highly mission-driven organizations who realize that ultimately they belong to the community which they serve.

... I understand that these people want, and deserve, financial compensation if other people are attempting to profit financially ... All the corps are non-profit groups and DCI is a non-profit corporation ...

For better or worse, in the few copyright court cases I have read, being "non-profit" is a moot point. If someone is giving away a work for free (non-profit), then they may be depriving or weakening a copyright holder's own potential to make profit elsewhere or otherwise.

--SiletzSpey

Well non-profits have to have a mission stating that they do good. Belong to an old car club that is non-profit who claims an education service,

In reality they donate a small percentage of what they take in to some educational places.

NFL Gave up their non-profit status this year. guess they realized just how silly having the status was.

I'm not a lawyer but here are my thoughts on the ongoing DCI copyright problem. Any legal clarification would be appreciated, but do we really need any? I think an adjustment to the copyright laws, or rather, an exemption, is indicated. Are the DCI corps causing meaningful net financial harm to copyright owners? I don't think so, and I contend it could be just the opposite.

Copyrights protect people who create original content, whether it's music, art, literature, newspapers, movies, etc. I understand that these people want, and deserve, financial compensation if other people are attempting to profit financially relating to the performance of or other use of their protected material. But this is not the case with any of the DCI corps.

All the corps are non-profit groups and DCI is a non-profit corporation. Therefore, it's my contention that they should not have to pay when they perform copyrighted material since they have no intention of, nor do they, profit financially.

I am not a lawyer either, but I am pretty sure that "profit" is not the legal standard. Unauthorized distribution can infringe on copyright even if the offender is giving away copies free of charge. The issue is whether use of the copyrighted material by others deprives the copyright holder of revenue.

When drum corps, marching bands and marching arts came out from the shadows as a truly quiet obscure niche' activity, that is when the potential for $$$$ hit the publishing houses.

Although still a niche' activity; it's no longer quiet and obscure----hence the activity reaped what it sowed.

Coupled with the fact money (and in some cases a "nice chunk') is being made by designers, arrangers, directors, instructors, etc. off of the work of composers---why should the copy-write holders not be compensated? After-all, others are reaping rewards by performing the holder's works.

If the marching/performing arts activity wants to play "big business"; they have to play by the big boy rules.

• Like 1