Spirit of Atlanta

They're doing the right thing, making choices that will have lasting benefits for them. I think it speaks volumes that their founder (Freddy Martin, founded the corps 40 years ago) who, in recent years, has been quoted as saying that he never wanted to return because Spirit was 'spiraling downward', has chosen to return to them again - the staff they have in place and the plan they have is astonishingly stable relative to the time they've had to put it together for this anniversary season. I'd say look out for them. This year, the hype just might be real. They're my dark horse for this summer, for sure.

• Like 1

300+ at auditions this weekend and another in two weeks. Very impressed with the attitude, excitement and environment surrounding the corps. Tons of alumni from the early days of the corps. Tons of alumni from the last few years. Very cool to witness. Best part of the day? Listening to Spirit of Atlanta playing Georgia while Freddy Martin conducted. You think those kids had a great experience this weekend? I know mine did!

Can't wait to see them develop as the summer rolls in.

Dan

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I did go by Saturday late afternoon.

I was not intending to prepare an official report, but here is what I noticed;

There were two separate lines of snare drummers playing - about 25 drums set up with a few pad people on the ends.

There was a room with about a dozen or so tenor players. I heard some cymbals crashing and saw flashes through the window. (didn't dare go in without earplugs)

Horn block of unknown quantity working slides in the lunch room.

I felt sorry for some of the auditioning snares near the end - there was one not able to hang, and it obliterated all those on either side from being able to hear the center of the sound. I was thinking If I were auditioning whether or not I'd just tell him to step out to a pad you're killing me. That's a hard spot as an auditioning player - you want to play well, but you also don't want to get down on someone else and appear to be the jerk. To be honest, even as a spectator, I was on the verge of telling him, "Dude step aside"

I may have unnerved a couple players - I'd be looking down listening, and hear error, then look over to the area only to lock eyes with them. I'm not a good poker player either.

Anyway I had fun - always love listening to a snare line.