Spirit of Atlanta

The Roman Holiday (our river sightseeing boat) (last I saw) is still sitting on top of the levee due to the recent flooding.

I wish we could have gone back to see show-n-tell. I hope other DCP folks who did will chime in.

As long as those pines are still ok, ha, ha.

Thanks for linking the newspaper review. Good season to ya.

• Like 1

There will be a full 150, plus alternates, on the field. There was no show-and-tell this past camp. Huge alumni involvement in the preparation for this year, and the kids seem to be pushing the staff more than last year - great things are coming for the corps this anniversary season.

Edited by rr4353
  • Like 3

While I can't say any of their winter season announcements have excited me or make me feel they will improve any this year,

I am glad they are alive and kicking.

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched a little of Spirit on Periscope doing a couple of things from the program.

The Title of Spirit of Atlanta's 2016 Production is "Georgia" Heard The 1st Movement and the 3rd Movement on their periscope broadcast. Hopefully this will be a great program. They will officially announce the full production this week!!

I hope if it's another throwback to their Georgia roots show which "Magnolia" was desperately trying to be and I still felt like "Out of The Ashes" was rooted in, they do it right this time. Maybe 3rd time will be the charm. The title seems to allude to that, don't see what else a show titled that from Spirit could mean.

Just feel like since 2014 they have been struggling to find who they are. I hope they find it, they definitely found it 2010 - 2013, and while I know those shows are long gone, I hope they are able to find an identity again that is SO distinct and confident like those shows identity was, whatever it may be.

Best of luck to Spirit, periscope vids were nice. I might have my favorites in this competitive range but I want everyone doing their best and in their best health, ESPECIALLY someone historic like Spirit.

:)

Went and saw their rehearsal and end of camp performance yesterday. No question that there is a positive buzz surrounding the corps this year. After conversations with Chris Moore (corps director) and Jeff Nelson (president of the board), I walked away feeling like they are approaching this in a very healthy, intelligent way. Very organized about everything. Entertaining new ideas regarding management and administrative responsibilities as well as financial stability. The overwhelming atmosphere around the organization is that everything is about giving the kids a fantastic experience this summer.

Yes, I am biased (my son is marching there this summer), but as a parent, staff alumnus, and drum corps fan I can find nothing but positive things to say. If there is one thing I have learned over the years in this activity it is that haters are going to hate...regardless. I get it. But...I really think people will feel that baby blue is on its way back.

Dan

• Like 4