The World's First and Only Bb Soprano Bugle

From Andalucia Musical Instruments' web site:

The King K20 Soprano Bugle was considered to be the greatest arsenal of all time for outdoor musical pageantry! Between 1977 to 1990, it was the choice of the Drum Corps International (DCI) world champions - The Concord Blue Devils and Santa Clara Vanguard. Even today, the United States Marine Corps still holds it dearly. Due to its wide flare bell, large bore valve case and extended lead pipe, the K20 produces unmatchable volume and overtone.

Since it was created in key of G, the K20 was unsuitable outside of DCI. Countless top rated high school and university marching bands tried to capture the sound of the Soprano G bugle but no solutions were ever found.

When DCI switched to Bb in 2000 in the name of accessibility, the G bugle magic was lost. In recent years, big name manufactures have bridged the gaps on F Alto, Bb Baritone, Bb Euphonium and Bb Contrabass horns, but the G Soprano voice is still remained missing. On numerous occasions I was told the physics between the G and Bb is not compatible! Therefore, no one has ever successfully created Bb trumpet to match the K20. Through months of R&D, I was able to locate the original bell mandrel for the K20 and started to work on this so-called impossible project. The result is stunning! Not only this new horn matches the sound produced by the King K20 Soprano Bugle, it plays more in tune and slots better above the staff. We decided to to have two variations - Shepherd's Crook to mimic the cornet root of the K20, and straight bend of the big lead sound power player desires.

This horn is THE game changer! It is dark, powerful, and most importantly, it is the rebirth of a new era for Bugle! You have to play it to believe it!

Let the party begin!

Should we expect any DCI corps to use new kinds of instruments like these in the future, or is it just a pipe dream (no pun intended)?

Edited by Hrothgar15

From Andalucia Musical Instruments' web site:

Should we expect any DCI corps to use new kinds of instruments like these in the future, or is it just a pipe dream (no pun intended)?

It depends on the sponsors/deals corps make. If corps can cut a deal with the makers, then I wouldn't be surprised to see these instruments eventually make appearances through soloists. As for a full corps instrumentation change... I doubt it but I guess it could be a possibility.

I have to admit...I'm enjoying watching the different players playing on these...now I just need to hear a Blue Devil screamer...haha

Edited by Liahona

I have to admit...I'm enjoying watching the different players playing on these...now I just need to hear a Blue Devil screamer...haha

The take on BD 1994 is my favorite!

• Like 1

Are the guys playing (especially the guy talking about it at his desk) anyone I should recognize?

I could see a BD soloist on one of these... ####. Or a full line at Madison (maybe I would have liked their show more this year if the sops were on these).

1986, actually...played by a 91 BD vet.

Is that the second guy? And solo. I don't remember the year too well (and no archive to check) but sounds like a BD solo.