Official 2016 Staff Changes

BD and Cadets don't fluctuate their viz techs much. Most are there for many seasons.

Who really leaves BD? And I believe most that work there are former BD marchers?

But if I was to ask who is the trumpet vis tech for cavies could you answer? My point is techs can be replaced but who teaches the techs and runs the program are most important.

• Like 1

This does compare to the sports world. The franchises and colleges that change coaching staffs and front offices every couple of years are always struggling to "build a winner." The more stable teams tend to perform better. But it's also possible they get complacent too.

In drum corps, if the coaching staff stays stable, the corps is often more competitively successful. The difference from the sports world is that is that the MMs change almost 1/3 to 1/2 of the unit each year, so the coaching is always new and not static.

• Like 2

Who really leaves BD? And I believe most that work there are former BD marchers?

But if I was to ask who is the trumpet vis tech for cavies could you answer? My point is techs can be replaced but who teaches the techs and runs the program are most important.

I wonder whether you have experienced good experts of technique rather than only recent age-outs looking for something while they await their first jobs?

At BD, Cadets, Coats, and SCV, the seasoned viz techs frequently make the design look even better, are known to render quite a few good suggestions, and serve as a sounding board/reality check when the designers get too "Out of this World." Crown has been learning this and applying especially to their brass and guard faculties.

Over the years, Cadets and BD have "swapped" a number of viz techs who taught one place one year, and switched coasts the next season. Hop talks are usually more the motivator (both ways) than ring chasing, but there is that too.

Edited by xandandl

This does compare to the sports world. The franchises and colleges that change coaching staffs and front offices every couple of years are always struggling to "build a winner." The more stable teams tend to perform better. But it's also possible they get complacent too.

Yes and Yes

Stability can never be replaced by a rotating door. Hard to do but obviously it can be done. You are right about complacent . A successful corps also knows how to keep not only their members motivated but also a talented staff.

Side note: a good tech is worth their weight in gold

I wonder whether you have experienced good experts of technique rather than only recent age-outs looking for something while they await their first jobs?

At BD, Cadets, Coats, and SCV, the seasoned viz techs frequently make the design look even better, are known to render quite a few good suggestions, and serve as a sounding board/reality check when the designers get too "Out of this World." Crown has been learning this and applying especially to their brass and guard faculties.

Over the years, Cadets and BD have "swapped" a number of viz techs who taught one place one year, and switched coasts the next season. Hop talks are usually more the motivator (both ways) than ring chasing, but there is that too.

Almost all the visual techs I had were recent age outs, teachers that had summer off, or someone that aged out in the last 10 years that did camps and took off sometime from real job to tech. So no I didn't really have experts who spend their whole year teaching band. I'm sure that's why my opinion is the way it is.

I figured that the guys going to Crossmen would bring their own Crown alums, not be pulling from the current Crown staff. These guys are moving to Crossmen for a promotion... I wouldn't think anyone is leaving Crown for the same position at Crossmen.

The visual staff at Crown has been together for a long time, counting the other corps they instructed at. I wonder what caused the break up.

looks to me like one long-term member of Ron's team was offered a promotion, accepted, and took a few younger techs with him. all probably with everyone's blessing and best wishes. but hey that's just my opinion :-)

Don't be ridiculous. Clearly there was a staff schism, and we can expect Crossmen to win and Crown to be lucky to make finals in 2016.

• Like 6

Don't be ridiculous. Clearly there was a staff schism, and we can expect Crossmen to win and Crown to be lucky to make finals in 2016.

Schism? Clearly Francis needs to change his itenerary to include a counseling session in Fort Mill. Schisms are just UNACCEPTABLE!

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

If the Texas members stay with their home team, they could someday get that medal they've been leaving all these years to receive.

• Like 1