Official 2016 Staff Changes

If the Texas members stay with their home team, they could someday get that medal they've been leaving all these years to receive.

Could be said about several corps (Denver, Troopers, Boston, 7th Regiment, etc.)

• Like 1

Some give the impression that long time staff is a negative. Hmmmm..sounds quite stable and smart to me. There isn't a corps out there that wouldn't love to have long time staffers like this. It's a goal of most but only a few can achieve. It takes alot to obtain a well oiled machine that actually works.

It also takes a competitive compensation package. I'd say odds are pretty darned good that the leaders at BD and Cadets are paid better than those at almost any other corps.

It also takes a competitive compensation package. I'd say odds are pretty darned good that the leaders at BD and Cadets are paid better than those at almost any other corps.

Although that may be true for designers and caption heads, it is surprisingly not that true with the techs. Of course, it is a circular discussion; with more experience and competitive success may come better compensation which begets more experience and hopefully more success and perhaps an increase. But not always.

The "aura" of being to list the biggies on one's resume' sometimes generates better compensation through working with other ensembles, pending results at end of season.

So and so band/guard/indoor hires at great value because Joe Tech worked with big name unit who ranked whatever at end of DCI season, etc. Consider the faculty of Riverside CC.

Edited by xandandl

looks to me like one long-term member of Ron's team was offered a promotion, accepted, and took a few younger techs with him. all probably with everyone's blessing and best wishes. but hey that's just my opinion :-)

and the techs going with him will probably be getting more responsibility and a chance to make a bigger impact on the end product. So I think it is fair to say they are also leaving for a promotion (though I was admittedly wrong in my first post with the thought that current guys wouldn't be leaving Crown)

Could be said about several corps (Denver, Troopers, Boston, 7th Regiment, etc.)

no, there are tons more members leaving Texas to march with corps around the country than any of those other places. (Not leaving Crossmen- leaving Texas). Not nearly as many marchers leaving Denver, Boston and certainly not Casper.

Why do you think so many corps have auditions in Texas?

Edited by CACTSC

no, there are tons more members leaving Texas to march with corps around the country than any of those other places. (Not leaving Crossmen- leaving Texas). Not nearly as many marchers leaving Denver, Boston and certainly not Casper.

Why do you think so many corps have auditions in Texas?

I agree with your point that there are many MMs in DCI who call Texas home.

Getting away from that horrible Texas summer heat may be a large reason why they go elsewhere. At some points, even Mexico is north(west) of areas of Texas.

I was responding to the poster who has strong Crossmen affiliation, the only World Class corps currently calling Texas home. See his screen name

Edited by xandandl

I agree with your point that there are many MMs in DCI who call Texas home.

Getting away from that horrible Texas summer heat may be a large reason why they go elsewhere. At some points, even Mexico is north(west) of areas of Texas.

I was responding to the poster who has strong Crossmen affiliation, the only World Class corps currently calling Texas home. See his screen name

Good edit. 😊 but he/she did say Texas not Crossmen. No matter, I understand your mistake and I agree if we're talking people leaving corps- that pertains to all but a few. But I read it as If Texans would join Crossmen and not leave for the G7, what could happen??? It would be interesting to see. Who knows, with their new staff additions maybe a few more will stay. (I read where they have had more and more vets each of the past 3 years so that's a good sign too)

Susan Hanggi has announced on Facebook that she will not be returning as Guard caption head for the Madison Scouts. The person who supplied me the information made it unclear whether it is okay to post her message or not, but the message does indicate that she herself is moving on. OP updated.

Sorry about the delay in updates, I've been pretty busy. Let me know if I've missed anyone else in the past week or so.

If the Texas members stay with their home team, they could someday get that medal they've been leaving all these years to receive.

This is a pet peeve of mine. Its a shame that drum corps no longer have local members. I'm not sure that this activity can survive with the current model. DCI & the corps need to somehow incentivize potential members to stay in state, or in region. Maybe like colleges, have an in state & out of state tuition?