Official 2016 Staff Changes

This is a pet peeve of mine. Its a shame that drum corps no longer have local members. I'm not sure that this activity can survive with the current model. DCI & the corps need to somehow incentivize potential members to stay in state, or in region. Maybe like colleges, have an in state & out of state tuition?

It really wasnt DCI who decided that members were going to travel all over the country to march. The local climate for such activities along with church groups, VFWs etc etc died a slow death decades ago.

Incentive for people to stay in state is interesting and might get a few to do this BUT I bet anything most will still just go where they want to , especially with limited time ( not like the past ) and funds

For some its always been an issue for decades already, same with winter programs. Years ago , especially winter, noone would travel to march. I had a member a few years back that flew every weekend to get to rehearsal and shows.Crazy I know but its done.

• Like 1

I'm not sure that the problem is the talent committing to the local corps. I've seen a lack of commitment of the local corps to the local talent. Local volunteers committed to fund raising would love it if the corps drew from local talent. It is hard to get volunteers to work bingo, etc. when the corps is getting the majority of their members from out of state.

• Like 3

This is a pet peeve of mine. Its a shame that drum corps no longer have local members. I'm not sure that this activity can survive with the current model. DCI & the corps need to somehow incentivize potential members to stay in state, or in region. Maybe like colleges, have an in state & out of state tuition?

It is a shame but it is the reality of DCI these days. Actually it has been for quite some time and relative to your concern about longevity of the activity, the current state of corps health is holding fairly steady, running contrary to your concern. At least for those at and near the top of the ladder.

I don't know if there are measurable numbers out there in some data bank, but I would be curious to know what the average number of non-local members there are in the top 15 corps. I say non-local because of the size of some states; like California, where an MM could be from southern Cali, marching in BD or SCV. The MM's wouldn't be considered local but they aren't out of state either.

There is also close by coprs where MM's are not fare from where they are members, and pass by a local corps to get to the corps they are in. Madison, Phantom & Cavaliers come to mind. So I say non-local. I think the number is high, maybe of 75% our MM's in top 12 to 15 corps are not local. I have no factual basis for this, just a sense there are very many MM's who are not local to the corps they belong to due to a myriad of reasons. In the northeast, there is a dearth of drum corps today compared to 20 or more years ago. The local base to recruit & draw from is not there.

It is a shame but it is the reality of DCI these days. Actually it has been for quite some time and relative to your concern about longevity of the activity, the current state of corps health is holding fairly steady, running contrary to your concern. At least for those at and near the top of the ladder.

I don't know if there are measurable numbers out there in some data bank, but I would be curious to know what the average number of non-local members there are in the top 15 corps. I say non-local because of the size of some states; like California, where an MM could be from southern Cali, marching in BD or SCV. The MM's wouldn't be considered local but they aren't out of state either.

There is also close by coprs where MM's are not fare from where they are members, and pass by a local corps to get to the corps they are in. Madison, Phantom & Cavaliers come to mind. So I say non-local. I think the number is high, maybe of 75% our MM's in top 12 to 15 corps are not local. I have no factual basis for this, just a sense there are very many MM's who are not local to the corps they belong to due to a myriad of reasons. In the northeast, there is a dearth of drum corps today compared to 20 or more years ago. The local base to recruit & draw from is not there.

even in the 80's you still had people driving or flying great distances to march places when you had other corps far closer. this is not some overnight issue

• Like 2

even in the 80's you still had people driving or flying great distances to march places when you had other corps far closer. this is not some overnight issue

Didn't People's Express Ailines begin so as to shuttle DCI kids around the country for cheap prices???

I have friends from Alabama who used to get to Boston in order to march 27th back in '81, another who flew from Bridgeport to march SCV, and then there is the famous Hopkins trip to the Gulf Coast to bring back a busload just so Garfield could field back in '81. Nothing new here at all.

How is the current thread diversion fulfilling the OP's mission of announcing 2016 staff changes?

I plead Alzheimer's :tounge2:

Susan Hanggi has announced on Facebook that she will not be returning as Guard caption head for the Madison Scouts. The person who supplied me the information made it unclear whether it is okay to post her message or not, but the message does indicate that she herself is moving on. OP updated.

Sorry about the delay in updates, I've been pretty busy. Let me know if I've missed anyone else in the past week or so.

Actually Dave Veda was the guard caption head for Madison this year. Well actually he came over from Phatom as the color guard caption supervisor.

Edited by Madcityscout