Official 2016 Staff Changes

Some nice returns, some nice renewals, and some promising new faces. Certainly more to be added to the viz tech staff.

http://yea.org/programs/cadets/cadets/staff

One of the bass techs, Andrew Ricketts was battery instructor for the HS marching band I have been working with for over 20 years. They do need to update his bio, though, as it says he is still with us, and his last year was 2014 under our marvelous prior band director (she is now doing great things at Leander HS in Texas). Andrew did a great job with our kids. I think he was on Cadets staff this past season as well.

Hi everyone! I just wanted to stop by and sincerely apologize for not keeping the OP updated. School has been very busy this past month and a half and DCI has been the last thing on my mind. My Thanksgiving break is coming up in about a week and a half and I anticipate updating the bulk of this thread around then. Thanks for the patience!

Hi everyone! I just wanted to stop by and sincerely apologize for not keeping the OP updated. School has been very busy this past month and a half and DCI has been the last thing on my mind. My Thanksgiving break is coming up in about a week and a half and I anticipate updating the bulk of this thread around then. Thanks for the patience!

Glad you are back safe and sound.

The times, well they have been interesting while you have been gone.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

From GH's FB page:

CADETS ANNOUNCE VISUAL LEADERSHIP for 2016

In a later fall development, The Cadets announced that Bob Chreste of Sugarland, Texas will serve as the Visual Caption Supervisor for the 2016 season.

Bob is the Director of Bands at Stephen F. Austin High School, where he has done a magnificent job reestablishing the program over the last two years. From 1996-1998, Bob was a member of The Cadets brass section. Following his time with The Cadets, Bob performed with BLAST, and went on to work with the brass faculties at Santa Clara Vanguard and most recently Carolina Crown.

In a statement released Monday morning, George Hopkins said “ Bob and I spent some time in the Houston area this Fall when I was serving as a judge. I was taken by the proficiency of the band and that’s where things began to come together. In a season that seems to have a good bit of change attached to it, adding Bob and others to the visual team seems to be the right move. It did take a bit of time to come to this decision but, it seems to be the right call at this point in time ”

Bob will work with Jeff Young of Carmel High School, who is already on board as an educational and technique consultant. Jeff ha attended one camp already and will be at most of the winter events and a few weeks in the summer. In a way, Jeff’s role is to “teach the teachers”

Some other members of the visual team will be …

- Mike Roche — Assistant Band Director at Steven F Austin High School, in Texas; Past DM for Crossmen and Crown. Graduate of West Chester University, PA

- Julian Johnson — Cadets Alumnus, Visual Team for the Cadets in 2015 , from Brooklyn, NY

- Conrad Isenhour — Visual Tech at Claudia Johnson High School in San Antonio; Marched with the Crossmen and the Santa Clara Vanguard

This is NOT the entire marching staff. There will be additions from inside the Cadets and from other organizations and schools over the coming week.

Bob replaces Austin Greene who has served as the Visual Caption Supervisor for the past two years. Said Hopkins, “Austin did an excellent job in his time here with the Cadets. We are so very thankful for the time and effort he gave to the corps, and we of course wish him the best wherever his travels make take him. Austin is truly the consummate professional; It was simply time for a change in my opinion”

The Cadets visual team has undergone a transformation this season but while the team is new, it brings together many of the corps’ finest alumni and former instructors in new roles. Darryl Pemberton returns to his alma matter as the Visual Designer, as Jeff Sacktig took a leave of absence for personal matters, ( Jeff is at Cadets2 and Cadets Winter Percussion). Kristy Templin has taken over the management of the color guard, with Joe Heininger working as the Lead Writer. Curtis Uhlemann is back on board managing the movement and dance program along with Katie Hopkins.Bob Chreste’s leadership of the visual technique program, supported by the new voice of Jeff Young, rounds out these additions with two premier educators who will certainly add to the process and accountability of The Cadets' teaching efforts.

From GH's FB page:

CADETS ANNOUNCE VISUAL LEADERSHIP for 2016

In a later fall development, The Cadets announced that Bob Chreste of Sugarland, Texas will serve as the Visual Caption Supervisor for the 2016 season.

Bob is the Director of Bands at Stephen F. Austin High School, where he has done a magnificent job reestablishing the program over the last two years. From 1996-1998, Bob was a member of The Cadets brass section. Following his time with The Cadets, Bob performed with BLAST, and went on to work with the brass faculties at Santa Clara Vanguard and most recently Carolina Crown.

In a statement released Monday morning, George Hopkins said “ Bob and I spent some time in the Houston area this Fall when I was serving as a judge. I was taken by the proficiency of the band and that’s where things began to come together. In a season that seems to have a good bit of change attached to it, adding Bob and others to the visual team seems to be the right move. It did take a bit of time to come to this decision but, it seems to be the right call at this point in time ”

Bob will work with Jeff Young of Carmel High School, who is already on board as an educational and technique consultant. Jeff ha attended one camp already and will be at most of the winter events and a few weeks in the summer. In a way, Jeff’s role is to “teach the teachers”

Some other members of the visual team will be …

- Mike Roche — Assistant Band Director at Steven F Austin High School, in Texas; Past DM for Crossmen and Crown. Graduate of West Chester University, PA

- Julian Johnson — Cadets Alumnus, Visual Team for the Cadets in 2015 , from Brooklyn, NY

- Conrad Isenhour — Visual Tech at Claudia Johnson High School in San Antonio; Marched with the Crossmen and the Santa Clara Vanguard

This is NOT the entire marching staff. There will be additions from inside the Cadets and from other organizations and schools over the coming week.

Bob replaces Austin Greene who has served as the Visual Caption Supervisor for the past two years. Said Hopkins, “Austin did an excellent job in his time here with the Cadets. We are so very thankful for the time and effort he gave to the corps, and we of course wish him the best wherever his travels make take him. Austin is truly the consummate professional; It was simply time for a change in my opinion”

The Cadets visual team has undergone a transformation this season but while the team is new, it brings together many of the corps’ finest alumni and former instructors in new roles. Darryl Pemberton returns to his alma matter as the Visual Designer, as Jeff Sacktig took a leave of absence for personal matters, ( Jeff is at Cadets2 and Cadets Winter Percussion). Kristy Templin has taken over the management of the color guard, with Joe Heininger working as the Lead Writer. Curtis Uhlemann is back on board managing the movement and dance program along with Katie Hopkins.Bob Chreste’s leadership of the visual technique program, supported by the new voice of Jeff Young, rounds out these additions with two premier educators who will certainly add to the process and accountability of The Cadets' teaching efforts.

Some of this is not unexpected with a new designer perhaps taking a different tack and the corps re-bounding from GE and viz. marks which didn't equal the musical rewards from the judges. Not dissing '15 drill at all...it was a beast and the corps did super well with it. Unfortunately with the CG and uni questions, they needed to be beyond any question.

With some key losses due to life situations ( Jeff Sacktig, Patrick Duncan, Ben Pouncey,) a transfer to Boston for Eddy Falcon's talents, and added responsibilities for others, the new broom sweeping clean is not unanticipated.

Mike Roche who auditioned in the YEA program as a high school DM for South Brunswick Vikings under the Krafts before he donned his DCI podium may be the first Crownie alum ever to teach at Cadets. This means things have gone full circle. Welcome. All of us look to be impressed.

Edited by xandandl